Two Weeks in the Alps - Slovenia, Italy and Switzerland on a RT 1250.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jotaga, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Jotaga

Jotaga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey you all!! Greetings from Brazil!

Soon I'll be heading to Europe with my wife to our biggest motorcycle trip to date! We will travel 14 days cruising at an easy pace in the Alps, mainly Italy and Switzerland, and despite being our 4th motorcycle trip I am very anxious about it since it will be on the colder temperatures we ever rode!!

We will be two up on an R 1250 RT. Rode GS´s on the past trips but the cold got me thinking about the higher windscreen and the heated seats. I know the temperatures are not TOO low, but for us will be colder than our winter and never experienced on a motorcycle. Hopefully it will be a nice experience!!! (I can tell you guys that that riding here on humid weather and over 40º C (104F) is not a good experience, so I am looking forward to experience the northern autumn).

I ́ll try my best to report daily here (wanted to do it on the other trips but having English as a second language got me very lazy about it).

That´s it!

For now just my bag and the stickers we made to the trip!

Cheers!!

20190822_181521.jpg 20190917_210129.jpg 20190917_231705.jpg 20190918_002406.jpg
    yokesman and bobw like this.
  2. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    :drink:lurk
    Jotaga likes this.
  3. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip.

Layers.....don't wait until you get cold to layer up when riding (and make sure you stay hydrated, even if cool or col, you need fluids)
    Jotaga likes this.
  4. st2sam

st2sam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heated gear.
    At least a pair of Vests and maybe heated gloves for your wife.
    Jotaga likes this.
  5. Jotaga

Jotaga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now I'm getting afraid!!!:(
    We have programmed 4 layers under the jacket and have some spare to layer up and also can use the rain jackets over all.
    We'll buy winter gloves tomorrow (and pinlock visors), but really did not think about buying heated gear. I appreciate the tip and will check it at the store but maybe will take my chances... lets see!
    bobw likes this.
  6. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am wearing heated gear already in northern Ontario Canada I’m sure the high alps are colder . Heated gear I would say is a must enjoy the ridew
    Jotaga likes this.
  7. Jotaga

Jotaga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 1 (Munich - Kranjska Gora)

We decided to rent our motorcycle in Munich because we already knew the renter from a previous trip. It is a rental company established inside the BMW dealer (BMW Zentrum) and the bikes are very new and well maintained. That’s so true that when I called the guys to make the reservation I wanted an R1200GS and the guy told me that they only had the new 1250 model available. Well… what could I say? Let’s go with the new machine! Later I changed to the RT because of the higher windscreen and heated seats but kept the additional 50cc.

We were a little anxious about raining in the first day (the forecast during the entire previous week was indicating rain) but thankfully the day started with a beautiful blue sky. We hitted the rental company at about 8:00 but only managed to start the trip at 10:30 (paperwork, luggage setup, vignette for Austrian highways, gps routes upload etc.). The plan for the first day was to cross Austria and go straight to Slovenia because we already rode Austria on a previous trip and wanted to know some different places. So, from Munich we took an autobahn and went southeast crossing Austria on a single stretch (with just a small pause for an expresso and an additional layer of clothes for my wife). I felt that my wife was exaggerating on the cold sensation but who is gonna argue with her, right?

After some highways in Austria we changed to secondary roads and started climbing our first mountain pass (Wurzenpass) that is right at the Austria/Slovenia border. There are some war artifacts at the road shoulders that I suppose were put there during the cold war. The place is almost a triple border (Austria, Italy and Slovenia) and I think that it is a very disputed area.

As soon as we crossed the border we stopped at a duty free shopping and discovered a whole section dedicated to Cannabis products. As the seller (dealer?) told us all the products are THC free and only contains CBD, so nobody would get high using them… just bought some mints and didn’t get high with them indeed.

Seven more km down the mountain winding trough a very scenic road and we reached Kranjska Gora - a very small town on the extreme northwest of Slovenia, surrounded by beautiful mountains and with a really beautiful green lake at its heart - Jasna Lake. This lake was the reason why this town was included on the route. I saw it on a video of a friend while researching my routes and simply decided to go check by myself. Unfortunately it was not possible to see the Julian Alps as the lake backdrop because of the clouds, but it was not raining as predicted and we could take a hike around the lake enjoying the evening. We ended the day with a delicious dinner (garlic soup, smoked local trout, rump steak and fried apples with cranberries jam… this dessert triggered some good laughs as I tried to pronounce it’s name in Slovenian - ocvrta jabolka z brusnicami).

The forecast for tomorrow is still rain. Let’s see!

20191001_104119.jpg
    20191001_104437.jpg
    20191001_141944.jpg 20191001_154152.jpg 20191001_154540.jpg 20191001_155549.jpg 20191001_155913.jpg IMG-20191001-WA0000.jpeg 20191001_165429.jpg 20191001_192147.jpg
    yokesman likes this.