Two Weeks Solo On My Bike - Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GravelRider, Jun 15, 2012.

1. bob393

bob393 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing.
    I make it to Main a couple of times a year but never got that far.
    Looks beautiful!
  2. Bike Nomad

Bike Nomad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for taking the time to write up your trip and share it with the rest of us, I enjoyed going along for the ride. Please note that the Maritimes does not include Newfoundland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maritimes

So, if someone says the people in the Maritimes are the best—it would imply you would be better off not bothering heading over the Gulf of St. Lawrence to the Rock—because you would find worst people there than from where you left from! :D I agree that Timmie’s coffee is infinitely better than Dunkin’ Donuts. I look forward to reading future RRs from you. :thumb
  3. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
    Great report!! GEtting ready to head out for a very similar trip on Memorial day. I'll definitely check out ridetherock site.

I hope I don't hit the same kind of weather, but then it wouldn't be an ADVENTURE.
  4. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Have a great time! Definitely sign up at RTR. Start a thread to say hi and tell them you're on your way. If something happens and you need some help, post up there, and you'll have a dozen guys fighting over who gets to help you! :lol3 Seriously though, they're good people.

You should hope for weather like I had. It sucked for the first few days, but was sunny and perfect for the rest of the trip!
  5. Toiretto

Toiretto Getting into it!

Oddometer:
    Fantastic RR, thank you for sharing!
  6. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, really enjoyed reading it. June is a tough time of year to be riding in Atlantic Canada.

I moved away from St. John's in 1997 and haven't really been back all that much except to visit the folks. Your travels around the Avalon really brought back a lot of memories. I learned to surf up in New Melbourne, and Northern Bay Sands (the sandy beach) and my good friend Brad owns the coffee shop in St. John's that you were at.

My buddy and I are headed back to the island in August to do the Trans Lab. Can't wait.

Thanks again for taking us along on the ride. If you ever end up in NB again and need a place to crash drop me a note. I'm an hour away from the border in Calais.
  7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Cool trek.. just read the whole thing. I grew up a km from where the beach is with the hole thru the cliffs. Salmon Cove.

I was there last summer in a minivan. Late july till labour day is the best time. I may ride down this summer so see my parents, family and friends from Salmon Cove to St. John's.

Thanks for sharing.:clap
  8. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My grandmother was from Spout Cove, just up the way from Salmon Cove
  9. straight_8

straight_8 SM rims for KTM wanted

Oddometer:
    Great ride report!!! Next time come up the TLH to Goose Bay.

Novaboy, give me a shout when you head up to Labrador!!!
  10. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
  11. Deah

Deah WonderingButNotLost

Oddometer:
    Great RR! :clap
  12. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sitting in the middle of Missouri thinking I'll never go north, but, thanks for the pics, I liked the crash site the best.
  13. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny, I too was underwhelmed by the Cabot Trail after all the hype I'd red over the years. I've ridden it twice now and it's nice but meh. I've ridden the Dragon a couple of times too and I really like that little ride.

As for New Melbourne Murph was taking you to my house, it most definitely is not a "cabin". Come on back as we're turning it into a B&B for touring motorcycles. As you can imagine we did not open as planned last spring.
  14. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Getting some new mileage out of my old report now! Lol. I've been checking in on your build thread from time to time. It looks great! The Cabot is nice and has great views, but underwelming technical riding. Oh well. I'd still love to be riding it right now.
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Even old RR's are worth spin now and again.

Thanks for dropping by my build thread, we plan to open next year, we have idea for social distancing etc so it should be possible.

I'm sure I'll be running the Cabot Trail again one of these days, I really like the hairpins as we have very few over here.
    GravelRider likes this.
  16. John Nash

John Nash Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    important note: Eastern Canada weather usually sucks in June. Aug. & Sept. is your best bet. I'm from Nova Scotia. I was just there for 3 weeks Sept.4rth to 25th. Had to quarantine for first 2 weeks, then a week with family. Weather was fantastic.
    GravelRider likes this.
  17. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a great report, I’m glad it got bumped or I wouldn’t have seen it. Well done!

We’ve vacationed in Nova Scotia, Cape Breton, Quebec, and PEI. All during July and August. I had to think on it quite a bit to remember whether we ever had any rain. I can only recall one instance as we rode (bicycles) into Cavendish, we raced the rain to get our tents set-up. It rained overnight while we were sleeping but the following day was sunny again.

I would love to visit Newfoundland and Labrador, and hope you just had bad luck weatherwise or arrived a few weeks too early!
    GravelRider likes this.
  18. Pavement Optional

Pavement Optional Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fun read. I can't believe you did all that on an SV650. Did you end up switching to a Vstrom? I did a 2-day 400-mile trip on my SV...and bought a Vstrom 6 months later.
    GravelRider likes this.
  19. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention...

For anyone coming or going to Newfoundland via the ferry in Sydney (Cape Breton), there is a really neat sidetrip over to the old French fortress, Louisberg. It is a National Historic Site, a harbor-fortress that the French used as their major foothold in North America during colonial times.

The Cabot Trail and the Fortress of Louisberg are two of Cape Breton’s “must-see” destinations, imo. Btw, there is some really great day-hiking along the Cabot Trail for those that aren’t in a hurry to ride it, particularly near Ingonish and over on the western side between Cheticamp and Pleasant Bay (Skyline Trail.)

We really enjoyed visiting all the Canadian Maritime Provinces over the years. In mid-summer it is a great way to escape the heat and humidity of Virginia!
  20. skibum69

Oddometer:
    We're planning to open our Moto B&B next year as we couldn't open this year.