Two Wheel Drive Scooter

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cdwise, Oct 24, 2018.

1. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    While waiting on my scoot I saw a funky looking electric scooter from New Zealand designed for farm work.

[​IMG]

The flat plates on the front and rear racks are optional. Floyd tells me it will climb anything with a range of 50 miles ridden conservatively but probably only 30 if you are trying to climb trees with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chillis likes this.
  2. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Electric motors in each hub ????
  3. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Moat

Moat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, looks like hub motors - very simple, with no exposed drive mechanicals (chain/sprockets/belt/etc). Range wouldn't be an issue for local runs/beatin' around the farm, I'd imagine. Big racks, full suspension, disc brakes, looks quite simple and rugged, virtually no maintenance... that'd be a fantastic solution for such an intended purpose (or tied to the back of an RV)! The electric version of a Honda CT, really. Looks fun, too... :brow

http://www.ubcobikes.com/

Bob
  5. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plenty of rack space for coffee and doughnuts during the morning commute.
  6. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    Would love to try one. I'm sure the range can be improved with some extra lithium batteries as well, even if those things aren't cheap.
  7. cdwise

Oddometer:
    He did say the batteries could be taken inside for charging so it would seem you could carry extra batteries.
    Pete-NZ and conchscooter like this.
  8. bandito2

bandito2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the last exchange rate I could find, here is a brief list of prices New Zealand $ to US $
    2018 UBCO 2X2 Nz $7999 = $5217.06 US
    Charger Nz $379 = $247.19 US
    40Ah Li Battery Nz $1999 = $1303.78 US
    48Ah Li Battery Nz $2599 = $1694.84 US
    With a spare 40Ah battery costing 1/4 the price of the bike or a spare 48Ah battery costing
    about 1/3 the price of the bike, everything about this bike is definitely NOT cheap.
    And that's not including what it might cost to get one here to the states... if that is possible
    (I didn't check to see if it could be imported into the US or what that may entail IF possible)

I do like the idea of it though the reality of practicality to price just doesn't match up well enough
    for me...
    The electric bike seems to have speed comparable to the ROKON though the UBCO 2X2 weight
    is much lighter. And load capacity is probably way less than what it is for the ROKON as well.

ROKON has a higher initial price, but then it doesn't cost 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the bike to get
    extended range, nor would you have to wait 6 hours for a fill up.
    Just doin the math.

Meh... they each have their advantages and disadvantages... Like most any other bike, it
    depends on what the better uses for the bike would be. And the intended use will mostly
    dictate what kind of bike it should be.
    Chillis likes this.
  9. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    Definitely not cheap, and a brand new TW200 is $4600 and that's a tried and true go anywhere farmland beast. But it's a cool concept if nothing else.
  10. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    No point comparing it to a Rokon, a NZ farmbike is a different use. I used to work on them for a living - here is a CT110 I used to work on, this is what it looked like everyday, a much harder life than an Aussie Posty bike. Those front and rear racks are for carrying dogs, or lambs.

2013-09-26 12.59.01.jpg
    Chillis likes this.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    To me that's a funny haha way to "do" farm work? Exactly what would a farmer anywhere do on one of those? Chasing chickens? Riding through vineyards with pruners?
    At those prices they make no sense to me as electric bicycles are way cheaper by comparison.
    My 1966 Bultaco Campera MK1,175cc, was considered a Spanish agricultural model for a comparison.
    But it's cute.
    Why would you carry a dog? All the dogs I've known were fairly mobile.
  12. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Chillis, kpinvt and CROSSBOLT like this.
  13. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Sportique Boulder had them in stock in the US. That's where I took the picture he said they ran about $6500 OTD. You do pray a premium for electric. He also said it could almost climb a tree.

I've seen some New Zealand sheep farms and an electric bicycle would not climb those pastures.
  14. Moat

Moat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a number of US dealers exist;

http://www.ubcobikes.com/us/dealer-locator/

The US website;

http://www.ubcobikes.com/us/

I'm a little surprised there's not an accessory piggyback battery available, as with the open frame (cage) it appears like there's room for one. Future option, maybe? Also, somewhere on the website it mentioned planetary gearsets in the hub motors - which makes me curious about gear noise/whine...

Bob
  15. cdwise

Oddometer:
    If I had only known when we were in Queenstown we could have tried one out http://www.ubcobikes.com/us/case-studies/tourism/

Not really because we were only there two nights and did an all day wine tour on the better weather day but it would be a blast on the mountain tails.
  16. Moat

Moat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sure looks like it would be! ...

There indeed is a little gear whine that's audible in those vids, but not too bad - and who knows, might even get quieter in time as new gears often do. I think it's cool as he!!, frankly... :brow

Bob
    kpinvt and cdwise like this.
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that "Shaun's" Grand Pa?:rofl
    Seriously, I've know farmers who rode MC's but never anyone that had much agricultural use for one? Unless they had an off-farm job which was nearly 100% of the ones I knew who did ride. HD has a new lectric MC coming out- it's a behemoth looking thing too.
  18. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get a room?
    kpinvt likes this.
  19. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    Honest office, I was just helping the sheep get on the bike.
  20. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    Limited time promo from Ubco: http://www.ubcobikes.com/us/double-power-promo/

Get a second battery valued at $1999 for free if:

T&C’s:
    • Promotional period is November 12th – November 30th, 2018
    • Promotion is only open to US residents
    • An UBCO 2×2 must be purchased during the promotional period in order to receive the free battery
    • The 2×2 purchased must be a new 2018 model, and excludes ex-display or demo bikes, used stock and trade-ins
    • Only the first 15 people to purchase during the promotional period will receive a second battery
    • This offer is not to be used in conjunction with any other offer or promotion