TY250 project

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Junglejeff1, Nov 1, 2018.

1. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the measurement tools further up in the post.

I have to air cooled Yamaha motors to finish this winter. Trust me I don't know what I am doing.

Can you tell me why you don't like wisco? And why is cast able to be fitted tighter? Do they come to the same spec when warm?
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had bad luck years ago with wisco.Had to set them up with almost twice the clearance and still had some seize up.Bob at b&j performance says the newer pistons are way better.I don't have much choice because all the aftermarket pistons I find are forged pistons .Forged pistons need a looser set up cold because the expand more.They are tougher but they can wear cylinder faster.I am hoping they did improve them with there higher silicon content but I will find out.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I checked out the Eastwood site and they sell catilzed paint kits for 50 bucks.They have the colors I want so will most likly go that way.I have spray bombed a few bikes and durability is not good.They sell a real nice blue and white and silver for frame.They have a 2k spray bomb primer that I will use to prime. Stuff is sort of pricy but want it right the 1st time.I am guessing I will have around 2200 in this old beast by the time I am done.Bob has some really cool shocks I really want.He valves and springs them to my super light weight 210lb american body lol.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used Eastwood paints and they are decent quality for the price.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a little stripper on a small part of the frame and paint came off super easy.Then for the heck of it I i grabbed a razor knife and started scraping. Paint almost came off in sheets.It looks like it may have been blasted clean and then the spray bombed it with that fake chrome paint.The original owner did some painting at home on farm tractors and such so must have gave the bike a quick one over.It is getting very cold here and I had to put pressure washer away so really have no way to blast stripper off.Going to pick up a 50 lb abrasive blaster (30 bucks)at harbor freight and blast it with some non silica media.At least I can use my compressor to blow the cracks out clean. Got the cranked boxed up but need to go to town and get it shipped out yet.
  6. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One piece at a time !

Don't know how serious you might be about Trials setup , but many have gone with peg relocation with reported improvement . That does require cutting off the old though . Not a big thing but ...

Yours looks to have the proper seat conversion , but not the forward peg option that was offered .

Have you decided on colors yet ? Black frame goes well with the yellow , as does the yellow / black bumble bee stripe that would be period .

Yep , it'll cost some money but you'll have a great bike for playing and exploring . In the end , I don't think you'll lose a lot of $ ( if any ) as well sorted TY's are in demand and not that far off your investment .
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  7. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Black yellow is iconic for the period Yamahas. I did similar with my XS400 project.
    [​IMG]
    Junglejeff1 and UstaKood like this.
  8. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran into the same problems with seizure and Wiseco pistons in the 70's. Having said that, in modern times, I have used Wiseco pistons on my race Kawasaki Z-1 motors and KZ motors with perfect results. One KZ-650 motor has over 300 passes at the drag strip with less than 2% leakdown.

The problem in the past was the alloy had very little silicone in it, had high expansion properties, which caused the seizures. Modern pistons are far, far better. I wouldn't hesitate to use them.
    Motociclo likes this.
  9. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll follow along. I'm on the front end (read as no budget yet) of looking for a trials project. Or maybe an older 2T trail bike.
  10. UstaKood

Oddometer:
    image.jpg image.jpg Couple other things .

The rear silencer tab on the frame should be reinforced and if the bracket is still there drill and pin with 6mm bolt . The silencer on mine is from a RM and does change the tone a bit

Another mod I did was cut the ear on the mag cover allowing access to to the front sprocket and cleaning .
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_2018-11-14-12-03-27.png This is the way I am leaning.Set up will be full trials and will most likly redo the pegs.When I save up enough for shocks falcon offers a full trials revalve that is pretty lively. I will also mod the front damper tubes for better response and either cut the stock springs or install new springs.I wonder if this was the true cat model as there are some different things than the bike I owned in the 70,s.The stock pegs are way to small for my big feet so need to change anyway.
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool bike.I like the classic yellow but I like my yamaha,s blue.Suzuki’s ruined yellow for me lol.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like someone took a stick welder to the mount on mine.Will clean that up and reweld.I have a extra muffler off a 99 yz 250 I am going to mod for it.
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_2018-11-14-12-22-03.png I did a few of the xs650,s a few years ago.Fun bikes to chop up.I tend to tick off the restoration crowd lol.
    invisa-bill and JimVonBaden like this.
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Nice. :thumb
  16. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rear silencer should not be bolted solid to the tab. When that happens the vibrations cause the tab to break, and need to get rewelded, as you see here. Here is a pic of what it should look like. [​IMG]
    There is a sacrificial linkage, basically two metal plates with rubber in between. The rubber takes the vibrations. The original used on the '74 is not longer available, but I was able to go to an independent shop and he let me search through the bin of ATV pieces and I found one that fit perfectly. The rubber washers you have may hold it back a bit, but that tab will break quickly. BTW, I was able to get that muffler almost brand new from a guy in CA. Cost me $50.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  17. UstaKood

Oddometer:
    Yep my bad .

Not thinking I snapped a pic and posted .

I used the backside of the OE bracket ( just happened to have a spare :augie) to bolt the RM125 silencer . Did my best with bolt/sleeve and rubber on both sides . I'd apologize for the gobly weld on the tab but I won't :D It was one of those late nights before and well ... But hell that was 25 or better years ago ! :D
    ( It's braze btw )

Your pic Shows it proper . What I was gettin' at was , Drilling a hole thru thru the bracket /insulator and (I) used a 6mil Allen with a nylock to prevent separation . Just saves losing the silencer . It's not if , it's when . BTDT .

Funny , seem to recall recently someone found a replacement part # from something ...?
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  18. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Used that trick alot to avoid paying yami for a new mount .Have to do the front one on my 2000 yz this winter.Buggers are pricy new.
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ordered a bunch of little parts from my dealer today.They still make the rubber grommets for my oil tank cover.They even ordered the all ball mains and seals and matched online prices. I did spring for the original yamaha points which were a little crazy at 32 bucks.I tried a set of aftermarket points on a 77 TT500 and they were not very good.The clutch arm seal was leaking bad so putting a new yami seal there.Wierd that is mounted on bottom of engine.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_2018-11-20-10-03-58.png Last night I took a good look at my fuel tank.It is a total roach.the Inside is a mix of rust and old cream sealer.I found out the reason it weighs more than a brick also,it is made out of bondo.This picture is a TY175 and I want to find out what tank that is.Anyone have any idea?.After looking at this picture I am really considering yellow.It looks so 70,s old school cool.
    Snapper33 and JimVonBaden like this.