TY250 project

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Junglejeff1, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    looks like a 1970's Yamaha 80 tank.
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a gt80 in garage and will check it out.
  3. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep , it can be done .

Bit of a story though ....

You can do some browsing in the Trials Central Yamaha forum for ideas / info too .

Attached Files:

Junglejeff1 and flinders_72 like this.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool bike,You look like a guy I was talking to in Trenton Missouri at a trials meet last spring.I tracked that picture down to trials central and found the tank is a 74 XL70 tank and alot of other cool mods.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_2018-11-20-22-28-47.png swiped this pick off trial central. A friend might have this tank in a massive collection of parts and bikes.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to wisco they do not make a piston for this bike.But yet I have shops trying to sell me one for it.It is actually for the dt250 and needs modding. Said screw it and ordered a wossner piston from Europe for a extra 25 bucks.Makes me very happy to not have wisco junk in my bike.purchased it from speed and sport which sells and restores vintage bikes.
  7. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am getting parts together for next round.Picked up over 100 bucks of parts today from yamaha. Talked to Bob on phone from b&j performance and got a rod kit,front fender and other parts on the way.He is a super cool guy and a pleasure to deal with.Will have him do the falcon custum shocks I want.I highly recommend this guy as he is old school and was a great rider in his day.These guys are disappearing and it sucks.We do not agree on pistons but he is a wealth of knowledge on trials bikes.The cheap sand blaster is very slow so a friend that works at a body shop for cash part time (he has a real job as a machinist )is going to sand blast the frame for me.He uses the cash money to build really cool 750 honda sohc choppers.I found ford screaming yellow is a good match for competition yellow.Going to shoot it with that and go over with 2k clear.I am really getting into this rebuild and having fun with it.I am having a issue finding the clutch main shaft support bearing but bob says he can get me one.If not I have a friend that has like 40 yamaha enduro,yz,s and a TY250 (all 70,s stuff)that has some old blown out cases I can rob a decent bearing from.He gave me a real nice mx 80 tank today that I will use as my competition tank.I really wanted the xl70 tank but mx80 is super close.He had 3 hanging in garage and gave me the pick of the litter.
    Motociclo and UstaKood like this.
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing I want to add.I found years ago the motorcycle world is tough to make good money in.I gave up on making it my living back in the 80 s. I give some crazy cool stuff I get ahold of away and it comes around. A perfect example is a newer friend mentioned here that I met selling and doing some horse trading early last summer is now helping me with my vintage fix.It's not about money but about making our dream bike become reality .His bike is the 76 yz125 with the aluminum tank.Now I will grab anything I can find to give him his fix and he helps me with mine.Life is pretty damn cool sometimes.
  9. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20181129_223141.jpg A friend showed up today that works as a welder at a place that makes restaurant equipment. I had told him the other day I was thinking about building a aluminium tank and exaust. So today he brings me that big piece of 18 gauge aluminum that the company scrapped (totally insane but seen much worse when I was a ship fitter ).It is folded in 2 so I have plenty .So I am going to try my hand at bending a tank and exaust which is a 1st for me.I tend to jump off the cliff of life alot but ussaully land on my feet lol.
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I talked to the guy at speed and sport today.I was asking what I am looking at for eta.We were talking about the wossner piston and he then tells me he does not know what brand it will be but could be a wossner. Sorta ticked off about that as I already ordered it.Can just hope it is a quality piston.Bob says he modifies the wisco dt pistons for use in the ty.From what I see they are clipped some to clear the flywheel. I read on some Australian forums were guys use the dt pistons with a slight mod with good luck.Just keeping my fingers crossed that it is a wossner now.
  11. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I had the same thing happen once when I was rebuilding an old KDX200, went to a local shop to support them instead of saving a few dollars ordering it myself. Ordered a Wossner piston from them but received a Pro X.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well for 200 bucks I hope it's a decent piston.I would have got a pro x if they made one.I believe they are cast.I ussaully use vertex or stock on most of my bikes.
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Am finding the vendors for these old bikes are hard to deal with.I order parts and they never show up.The only parts I have recieved so far are from my Yamaha dealer.
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I talked to a local powder coat shop and they quoted me 100 bucks to blast and coat my frame. That is super cheap and I found a yellow powder that is super close to comp yellow.I am going to bring the pegs down and back and running 340mm falcon shocks mounted more forward and have some welding to do 1st.Our club is not real sticky on mods.If it's air cooled,Twin shock and drum brakes you can run it.
    UstaKood, JimVonBaden and Beezer like this.
  15. UstaKood

Oddometer:
    Wow , good price on the powder coating !

Have you looked at Magicals offerings . Heard good things about their suspension parts .

BTW , does your YZ buddy have a spare clutch cover for a 125 ? I have a 175 project that could use one . :evil

Keep up the good work , maybe see ya out there this next season .
  16. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will message him.He has at least 30 older yz,s.Going to see if I can get a like 1980 yz front backing plate from him also.Told it helps braking.What year are you looking for for cover?
  17. UstaKood

Oddometer:
    Thinking 76/77 are the ones .

YZ backing plate ? Seems you’d just end up with a longer lever . What I’ve seen is MX wheel used with swapping the lower tubes .

I’ll check with a couple guys I know might have that Honda tank , unless ...
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  18. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will let him know but very likly he may have one.
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yippy,found out today my engine bearings,front fender and connecting rod got shipped.Still waiting on my euro piston.
    invisa-bill and Amphib like this.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I checked with my friend and he has one.Unfortunately he is using it on a restoration. He told me they are expensive. Seems like alot of stuff for these old bikes are expensive. I can buy 2 pistons and rings for my African Twin for they same price as one for this bike lol.
    UstaKood likes this.