TYP and style files for mkgmap

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by bradrh, Nov 12, 2018.

1. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone here built there own maps with OSM and mkgmap? Have you come up with some good TYP and style files for dual sporting?
  2. womble_

womble_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    no... but i would really like to create a TYP file that makes OSM makes easier to read whilst on tracks. As noted in another post (from 2014) the default colour scheme is aimed at being on road.
    I'm going to try, but it seems to be quite an involved subject...

Did you ever get anything better than default OSM?
  3. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have something that I think is a lot better. Still a work in progress. It wasn't trivial to learn how to use the mkgmap software. I'm happy to share it, or make a map for an area you're interested in. It's more than just the TYP file, it's a modified style that is used with mkgmap.
  4. gpsdualsport

gpsdualsport former mid life crisis motorcycle owner

Oddometer:
    Don't know if is this will help. This Locus Theme was built by fellow inmate and really improves the appearance of OSM maps on the Locus Android App.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yy8exchhjsm31wy/Adventure.zip?dl=0

The author, @SRTie4k, is active on ADVrider and was very helpful with my questions on getting the theme installed.

Of course TYP and Theme are from different OS platforms performing the same task.
    You could take this as another sign you should dump Garmin and the IMG mapping universe for Android GPS.
  5. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not a big Garmin fan, but I'm not ready to give up my bullet proof, easy to read Montana.
  6. womble_

womble_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @bradrh
    I'd love a little help with getting something useful out of mkgmap. I'll have a go this evening and see how far i get.

This is the first sign I've had that i should leave Garmin..... I bought a GPS12 in 2003 and just upgraded a few times.... Maybe i am a fanboy in denial.
  7. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wombie, how's your mapmaking coming along?
  8. womble_

womble_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good question....

I found a new style of OSM maps at http://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/garmin/en/regions.html. I prefer the style of these maps to the http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ ones that i have been using up to date.

I also had a proper think about what it was i wanted to change:
    • Prominence of city/town names. These only seem to appear at one zoom level, so get oriented and planning is tricky.
    • Highlight fuel/petrol/gas stations. These are on the map, but I often end up finding them on a different map , then entering coordinates or zooming to the location. i.e. you nee to know where they are to find them, which is silly. Search works, but its a list based on direct distance, i want to see it on a map.
    • Increase the visibility of unpaved roads.

Specifically on the mkgmap, i downloaded a small section of osm map. and a typ file from here: https://www.pinns.co.uk/osm/styles.html (OS is the UK gov raster mapping agency)
    I ran:
    Code:
    java -jar mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp --input-file=surrey --mapname=34590284 os50/os50.typ
    and got a working map. Even if some of the regions seem to have not rendered properly.

canvas.png