Typical LC8 oil pressure readings

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by overlandr, Jun 19, 2004.

1. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Just wondered if anyone had fitted a gauge and what readings they were getting - and where the tapping point is? BTW is the engine a needle roller big end bearing type?

Thanks
  2. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    The big end bearing are plain journal type bearings, as are the mains.

The oil pressure should be running a minimum of 21.8 psi (1.5 bar) @ 1500 rpm, and a minimum of 43.5 (3 bar) maximum 58.0 (4bar) @ 6000 rpm

I've never gauged it myself though.
  3. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any idea at what pressure the low pressure light activates, two of us had the same condition at the same time, after a extended 2 gear uphill, tight, but not to steep, fan was running, we stopped at the top and both our bikes had the oil lights flashing at 1200 RPM. Reving turned off the alarm, now I'm a little alarmed, at a motor that cannot maintain oil pressure at a reasonable idle. Read somewhere that other people have also experienced this phenomenen.

4. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure mate, could be something to do with oil temp/viscosity or aerated oil.

I've noticed the same on mine, but it just faintly flickered for a few seconds as though it couldn't make it's mind up.

Definately worth keeping an eye on.
  5. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I had this same senario also I think its from using 10-40 oil I'll know when I get my bike back I'm going to run 15-50
  6. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm using Mobile 1 (red cap) 15-50 and the other fellow is using a Motul semi-synthetic I believe, All oil thins out when hot, but the tolerances on a pump should have no trouble dealing with it. I guess its like the chirping, we may never know the cause.