Tyre suggestions for a DR650

Discussion in 'Australia' started by whitey222, Jan 21, 2006.

1. whitey222

whitey222 occasionally adventurous

Oddometer:
    Hi all.

A hopefully easy newbie question for you gurus...

I have an 05 DR650. The OEM Bridgestone Trailwing tyres will soon need replacing and I'm looking for suggestions.

The expected usage is:
    50% gravel roads
    25% easy trails
    25% asphalt.

I figure that the OEM tyres are probably asphalt-biased given that most dual purpose bikes spend 80% of their time on asphalt (I'm sure I read that somewhere). This leads me to believe that they are probably not the best tyre for me, and that I should be looking for a tyre that is better suited to your average aussie unsealed road.

Thanks in advance.

Graham
  2. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    try, Pirelli MT21 or Maxxis C6006 Dualsports
    BygDaddee likes this.
  3. ktm wrench

ktm wrench motorcycle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I run Dunlop 606 or MT21 on mine.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  4. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Yep, for your purposes you cant go past M21's. I reckon for the DR they are much better in handling, wear and cost than TC80's
    [​IMG]
  5. bluebye

bluebye Skin it back

Oddometer:
    'neckville is where you hang your hat, Rolling
    I run cheap tires on my DR's. The Chin Shin 858's are very good off road (5.10) but bump like crazy in corners and the front is easy to overwhelm on the pavement when braking:eek1 .Rear gone for dirt at 2200 miles still ok for street. Pitched the front a 4000 did'nt look like it was worn at all. Kenda 271's are less bumpy on the street and are also very good off road. I run the 3.25 front and the pavement braking is much better. But....the front is soft and squims around a lot both on and off road. Dead at 3000 miles(street or dirt). The rear(5.10) doesnt bump as bad on the on the street and is fun on the road as it performs quite taily on command (its slides very predictably). Loads of fun. Dead at 3000mi for dirt, I could get a little more on the street. Duro median rear(130/80) is good on the street, not bad off road but you cant hustle like you can with the above mentioned. Just not as much traction. Irc gp-1 rear(5.10) is great on and off road when new (like trailwings on the road but much better off road) but after 1000 miles (250 mi. on very deep gravel and dirt roads) it is dying.. Probaly gone at 2000 miles. Trail wings were replaced after 1500 as the rear was sketchy (off road) . Sorry for the punc. as I am PUI. Later.:norton
  6. Speedzter

Speedzter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Pirelli MT21's better on tar or Dunlop 606's for more dirt.
    Just be a little bit carefull on wet tar until you get a feel for them.
  7. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Michelan Anneke rear is good for near 10,000 miles, I done some rough roads in colorado with them. I could only get 6,000 miles out of B.S. , dunlop, 606 and 607 and tkc80s Toddy
  8. whitey222

whitey222 occasionally adventurous

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your all your responses guys. MT21's and Dunlop 606's scored several mentions, so I'll go with one of them.

Cheers,
    Graham
    BygDaddee likes this.
  9. ozadvntr

ozadvntr Planning that trip, again

Oddometer:
    I have used both on my KTM640, I got about 2000km out of the Pirelli and about the same from the Dunlop. However, the Dunlop was in better condition that the Pirelli. The Pirelli had lost knobs and looked a mess.
    I gave the 606 to the young bloke across the road.
    I have fitted another D606.
  10. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic of my DR with MT21's, at the time of photo I'd just turned 3,000 miles on em (mostly freeway miles)

[​IMG]

The front will really wash-out on ya so lower the air pressure when going offroad

I'm running a Trackmaster on the rear now (have yet to try it in the dirt though) and have a Scorpion Pro waiting to go on the front next
  11. ando

ando TC

Oddometer:
    Id recommend the Michelin Sirac.

I have one on the back of my bike and I find it reasonably in the dirt and good on tar.
  12. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Yeah the Sirac rears are good too - are great on the tar and resonable on the dirt and obviously wear better than the MT21's
    [​IMG]
  13. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dave,how did your bike handle with the nobby on the front and road biased rear.I going to run a TKC 80 front and Anakee rear on the GS to the OCR and was curious to know.
  14. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    No problem on the DR until you reach more challenging terrain - my opinon is that as long as you have a bitey front the rear end almost always follows it (eventually).

Mind you, on the 1150 things could be different.

IMO I think the combo you propose should work ok unless you strike a lot of mud on the way to OCR. (then again most of the tyre options for the GS would be a bit average)

Be careful taking any advice from me - Im no expert.

PS re Karuah I have a job for you - find the dirt/sand road between bilpin (on bells line) and Colo for the special stage b4 the putty.
  15. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    What sort of milage are you getting out of the Siracs.
  16. sleepywombat

sleepywombat the DR650 pig

Oddometer:
    ive asked this question before but i'll ask here too, im after a front tyre that can handle daily commuting oon freeways that wont be useless after 1000kms yet wont try and kill me ( like the stock tyre) when i tackle dirt and gravel im not bothered about the rear only the front any siggestions
    thanks in advance
  17. DRboy

DRboy Bloody numpty

Oddometer:
    Like a few others here I reckon the Pirelli MT21 is the go - especially if you are getting your fun in the dirt, but need to run road k's as well. However, if you want to save a few bucks try V-Rubbers (from Thailand) on the rear. They have a tread pattern similar to the MT21, wear slightly better, seem every bit as tough, and are about $30 cheaper. Do not use the V-Rubber on the front - I have one on there now and am not impressed. Seems to slip on dirt a lot easier and I just don't feel as confident on that tyre up front. From here on I will likely run the V-Rubber rear with an MT21 up front.

Have fun.
  18. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    I've run a sirac front and a tourance rear on the K75G/S - same size tyres as the DR. Got 10,000 km from them - mixed dirt/tar.

Not impressed with the TKC ware on the rear so far.
  19. sleepywombat

sleepywombat the DR650 pig

Oddometer:
    whats a sirac and how much are they ???
  20. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    See previous page sleepy
    [​IMG]