U.S.A. Deep South tour Jan-March 2014

Discussion in 'Americas' started by The_Precious_Juice, Jan 12, 2014.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Transport: 2013 DR650se (stock seat height/ no mods/first time owner) <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Base camp: Roanoke Valley, Virginia.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Winter campaign: January 20<SUP>th</SUP>-March 14<SUP>th</SUP>.<o:p></o:p>
    Tentative plan:<o:p></o:p>
    From VA, head toward Wilmington, N.C., then travel into the Deep South via the coast line, then into the Gulf States via the gulf coast. Push as far as the hill country of Texas, and then head back through northern Louisiana, Mississippi, and Georgia and finally back to the base camp. <o:p></o:p>
    Bio: <o:p></o:p>
    165lbs.
    5’10”
    32” in-seam
    Tarmac use: <o:p></o:p>
    Would like to spend most of my time on routes, park ways, and rural back roads at 25mph-50mph. <o:p></o:p>
    For making time, the Highways at 50-65mph are fine. <o:p></o:p>
    The Interstate is a last resort for getting to a destination, but a primary route for emergency egress (60-85mph). <o:p></o:p>
    Off road: Would like to utilize well packed dirt roads (forest roads and single trail) to reach locations to camp for the night. It would be ideal to not be seen or heard while inserting or while leaving camp. It would be great to be off the dirt road to prevent foot and vehicle traffic from stumbling upon location.

<o:p>__</o:p>
    <o:p>More to come. </o:p>
  2. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Scheme of maneuver: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Resting:<o:p></o:p>
    Trying to keep the Hotel/motel/hostels to no visits: Granted, extreme weather conditions may warrant a more prudent decision. Furthermore, if no camps of opportunity arise, it would be prudent to get secure lodging. Would like to network and link up with other Adv touring folk, and farmers who need work done.

Touring: Mellow riding through and through. Would like to check urban and rural environments. Interested in town museums, bus tours, hiking, just learning about the culture and land in general. Not looking to do anything really exiting. Again, it would be good to link up with other Riders.

<o:p>Edit: With Inactive Reserve military I.D., would have military bases to stay at or use as a Forward Opperating Base (F.O.B.)</o:p>
  3. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me know what your time line is and I"ll offer some suggestions for southwest AL. Sounds like a fun trip. Good luck!!
  4. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Chow:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    No coffee or heating element for food. Will eat cold chow mostly. Will supplement with chow from inexpensive privately owned restaurants from time to time. <o:p></o:p>
    Supplements: <o:p></o:p>
    Garden of Life vitamin and mineral tablets.<o:p></o:p>
    Fish oil tablets. <o:p></o:p>
    Whey protein. <o:p></o:p>
    Use Sam’s club membership card for access to “free” samples. <o:p></o:p>
  5. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Gathering intell. Situational awareness.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Before arrival: <o:p></o:p>
    AAA Member: Plenty of hard copy maps to look from.<o:p></o:p>
    Touch pad device (wiffi hot spot zones only). <o:p></o:p>
    Use City-Data forum. Username. Lucky_Town. <o:p></o:p>
    Inmates from regional forums.<o:p></o:p>
    Review avenues of insertion and egress. <o:p></o:p>
    Look over areas of high ground, water ways. <o:p></o:p>
    Get compass bearings for due east in the morning time. <o:p></o:p>
    Crime. <o:p></o:p>
    High traffic times. Motorcycle laws and guidelines. <o:p></o:p>
    Review culturally significant events. Example: Daytona 500 early Feb.<o:p></o:p>
    Wheels on ground: <o:p></o:p>
    Seek out Live “guy on the ground intel.” The town visitor center, or town museum. The chamber of commerce is great places to meet knowable townsfolk. Also, going into the local real-estate office and talking with a person who has lived there their whole life is a solid way to network. <o:p></o:p>
    Back to touch-pad. Use traffic apps and such.

Keep head on swivel; don’t make yourself a soft target. <o:p></o:p>
  6. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Physical training: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I’d like to maintain what little strength and stamina I have. So I’ll be doing some H.I.T. (High Intensity Training) at rest stops from time to time. Going for hikes to improve cardio (and enjoying nature) would be great. <o:p></o:p>
  7. TheRoss

TheRoss Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Texas hill country is a great place to make the turn around. We have a lot of really great roads to ride, and parks to camp in. PM me your address and I'll mail you a TX state map with all the great hill country roads I know highlighted.
  8. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Estimated daily expenses:

Weapon
    Fuel: $7.27-$21.81
    Routine Up Keep: $1.50
    Insurance: $.70
    Parking/Camping: $1.00

Gear
    AAA card: $.27
    Nat Parks Pass: $.21
    Refit/Reload: $1.66

Body
    Clothes: $.66
    Chow: $15.00
    Water: $.33
    Hygiene: $.33
    Tourisim: $6.00
    Laundry: $.16
    Sam's card: $.10?
    Supplements: $1.00
    Protein powder: $1.66

So bottum lines:
    Weapon: $11-$26/day ($4/gallon gas)
    Gear: $5.00
    Body: $30.00

Grand total: $45-$60/day.

These are real conservative numbers. I plan on dirt bagging it up something fierce. :D
    Keep in mind I'll not have any cell-phone bills, car payments, or house payments.
    Hotel stays will be avoided. However, there will be times I'll need to take this option. If I come close to $100/day too often, I'll have to reevaluate things.
  9. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the posts
    AST236 and TheRoss!

__
    I'll post the gear list later today.
  10. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Before I labor over the gear list, I wanted to post up on the insurance I plan to get tomorrow.
    I plan on going with a lot of insurance.

I went to AAA, and the insurance guru put the DR into the system and he recommened the following quote.
    American Modern Insurance Group.
    Premium: $257/year.

Bodiyl Injury Liability: Limit: $25,000
    Deductible $50,000

Property Damage Liability $ 20,000

Passenger Liabillity. Limit. $25,000 ( could I drop this, I'm not going to do 2 uping?) Might as well keep her. It's just $6.00/year
    Deductible: $50,000

Medical Expense Benefits. $10,000

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury. Limit: $25,000
    Deductible: $50,000

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Property Damage. $20,000
    Deductible: $200

Comprehensive ACV (fire, theft) $100

Transportation Expenses Option 2 (flight back home if need be, not planning on it) $600

Collision ACV. $100

Helmet Collision Coverage. yes.

Accessories $ 3,000

Rental Reimbursemen Coverage. Limit: $75
    Deductible: $300

Safety Apparel Actual Cash Value. $1,000

_______
    Heighest premium is $115, for Collision ACV.
    Medical Expense Benefits premium: $78.00

__
    Note: these are only estimates.
  11. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for moving from that covert black print, it really sucks. I'm just a couple of hours north of you so I gotta ask, did you go out for a training run last week? Is Al Gore's hot air going to keep you warm? Does that DR have an electric nut warmer?

So you pull off into the woods for a covert black ops campsite. Low profile, cold camp. Ah, to be young again. Good luck. I really mean it. I did shit like that 50 years ago. I survived, so will you... And I never wanted to again.
  12. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the the first post.

I was trying to copy and paste from microsoft word.

I tried fixing it. I'll try again later.

____
    Weapon<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    1. tire pressure gauge<o:p></o:p>
    2. chain lube <o:p></o:p>
    3. tool kit that comes with the bike.<o:p></o:p>
    4. User manual<o:p></o:p>
    5. What else do I need?<o:p></o:p>
    Packs to carry gear and chow. <o:p></o:p>
    I’m going to recycle a lot of military packs and other stuff I have. I’m going with soft bags. I’ll pick up some better bags on the road if things are not working. I’m thinking of having a empty pack I wear on my back when riding. After I stop, I then take a few important items from the main pack before leaving the bike unattended. The only thing I’d lose would be some clothes, chow, and little else. Important and expensive items would be with me. <o:p></o:p>
    I’d also like to go with a big-ol tarp to protect the bike from the elements, and detour thieving opportunities in urban environments. The tarp would also act as a shelter for camping. It be nice to have my pull over pants and jacket on the bike and covered up, but only if I had eyes on the MC, or if I would be gone for less than 30 mins. <o:p></o:p>
    So the bags themselves. I’ll allocated what piece of gear goes where later. <o:p></o:p>
    Fannypack: essential/survivor items I want on me at all times.<o:p></o:p>
    CamelBak “day pack”: This is the pack I’d like to keep empty when riding, and have on me when walking around. She holds a 3 liter water bladder in the back. Good storage areas. If I needed it, I’d put the bladder in the pack after getting off the bike. <o:p></o:p>
    The North Face. Appalachian 75+25. I like this pack because it could actually be turned into a pack to go hiking in. There is a good amount of room. Plus, I only paid $20 or so for it in Cambodia. I might be able to put my jacket and paints in here before putting the big-ol tarp over the bike. <o:p></o:p>
    Tank bag: I have a magnetic one now, but I need to see how she fits (pick up bike tomorrow). I’ll most likely get something on the road for this. <o:p></o:p>
  13. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

No training run for me last week in 1 degree F temps. I Planned a rest day during the Vortex. :D

Hey, Vice President Gore is a great man! How else would be chatting right now? :rofl

The air cooled engine of the DR will keep me warm!
    I think I should be fine by the time I get to Hilton head Island in South Carolina. the Island is just north of GA.

The vortex could come around again as far as I'm concerned... If I'm in the Florida Everglades. :D
  14. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Precious, I camped a lot in the Glades during the winter many years ago and it's easy to go off the grid. But Hilton Head is infested with gazillionairs, or this time of year, their security.

I hope you have a hook down there, cause otherwise if caught, it's the chain gang.

On the other hand it's also filled with golf courses. Playing "Great Escape" jumping knolls and tee's is an awful lot of fun. Been there, done that, didn't get caught.
  15. TheRoss

TheRoss Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think everyone should do what he or she is comfortable with. My way is right for me, but maybe not for anyone else. Period. That said...

I carry uninsured/underinsured coverage of 300/500.

I was in my first serious accident this past September, hitting a car at 55, going over the trunk and landing on my back. The bike and car were both totaled. I was 1500 miles from home. I came out of it with a broken throttle wrist and two cracked ribs. That's it. The driver of the car caused the accident (admitted he caused it and it was noted in the police report) and he had insurance. He had his state's legal minimum insurance, that is. 15/25. That's $25,000 TOTAL, which barely covered the property loss. My medical bills (two ambulance rides, emergency surgery, two days in the hospital) come to almost $50,000. If I did not have the underinsured coverage I had, I could be faced with serious bills and damaged credit. I would have been left with that... the driver of the car does not have much in the way of assets so there would be no point in suing him.

If some irresponsible SOB hits you and hurts you and does not have insurance... what then?

Not trying to get on a soap box, and no... I am not an insurance salesman. Just something to think about.

On a side note, talking about insurance, I skip the PIP because the coverage is usually very little and buy medical payments ($10,000) with my policies. That option usually costs very little... something to ask your agent about.
  16. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

I have hook ups in Wilington, N.C. and Hilton Head.
    After that no joy.

I was just thinking about the atmospherics in Hilton head a few hours ago.

I'll have to come in during the weekend and early. Got to stay on the down low. :evil
    No Great Escape action for me.
    You're the movie version and I'm the T.V. show version. "Hogan!" :1drink
  17. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    FannyPack

Compass
    Fortrex wrist GPS
    Lighter
    whistle
    Map of region
    flash light (head lamp)
    Some light first Aid Gear
    Go-Pro camera
    eye drops
    chap stick
    hand sanitizer
    Vit/min supplement
    200 calories snack
    pre paid minute cell phone

Main Pack
    Clothes
    1. blue hoodie
    2. Green T-shirts X 2
    3. Casual short sleeve shirt
    4. Shorts
    5. skivies X 2
    6. Socks X 3

Back up flash light
    Journal
    Reading magazine or book
    back up glasses
    flip flops
    five fingers shoes
    AAA batterys
    Recon 3 sleeping bag system.
    hygiene gear
    Touch-pad (most likely a Nexus 7)
    bag full of electrical chargers
    39 gallon trash bag X 2
    towell (the thin soft kind, can't remember what it is called)
    medium towell
    wash cloth
    pair of boot laces
    sewing kit
    mesh laundry bag
    Boonie hat
    small can opener
    plastic bowls X2 (store food in)
    assortment of plastic bags
    nutritional stuff.
    Neck Gator
    3 liter water bladder
    chain lube
    handsaitizer
    baby wipes/ T.P.
    550 cord (small rope)
    back up rider gloves

Tank Bag
    snacks
    nalgene bottle
    map of area
    Sun glasses

Brown Day Pack
    Hopfullly nothing. If anything, it will be spill over light stuff that I'll take out of the main pack to fit heavy stuff in there. So light clothes, plastic bags and such if needed.

Other
    Tarp (not sure of size yet)
    Glow belts
    cable to lock stuff up
    Small soft bags to fit on bike ( I have a bad ass first aid kit set up in one)
    Locks. Both with a key and combo.
    Orange Poncho (from the hunting season) Maybe its a Orange Crush thing. :D
    Heavy rider jacket
    Heavy rider paints

__
    I'll most likely pick up a small one man tent for southern Florida.
  18. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't buy from them:
    At one time I too had American Modern ( they are in Cinn,OH & have several brand names they sell-same main company) for MC as my main carrier, KY Farm Bureau doesn't cover MC's. They kept raising the premium(went from not much to over $300 yr-I now pay about half that after several yrs) for no reason (of mine) so I got away! I have had Progressive via the Randolph Scott agy in Lexington,KY-call them they are online, old agy, best price I could find-period. Better then same company via the 800# on your own too. I nevr have been in their place-all online/phone and no mysterious price increases either! Ask for Kent-my agent , he rides too.
    You should do lists for a living-I say you'll be rich in no time:rofl
  19. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Join us (Concours Owners's Group and Tampa Sport Bikes) for kamping in the keys if you like: Feb 6-9, 2014. We expect around 20 thus far.

[quote author=SteveJ. link=topic=46684.msg331191#msg331191 date=1389401215]

Alrighty then. The per head rate is $14+tax. This all comes in under one reservation, which will be under "COG". This rate is good for a minimum of 10 people. If we come up a person or two short on Thurs night, the "official" line is we have ten people. We will just divvy up the number of people into $140, + tax.

You will not pay any camping fee to the camp ground, just tell them you are part of the COG group. You will be paying me.(please? ;) )

Do not worry about the number of tents per site, they really don't care as our tents are mostly small and it is open site camping.

I hope to be there by about 3pm, even with a stop at Alabama Jack's on Card Sound Road on the way down. :great:

This will be a bit more frugal, and a whole lot easier than figuring out groups, thank (insert deity here).

Summing up: This has been a real adventure, dealing with this KOA. I've been given different answers on several occasions, but now it has been repeatable for getting consistent answers. That's it. Bring your happy face and have fun.

Also, they do have some beer, but selection is limited. Plan accordingly. They have a breakfast and coffee bar, so that's covered.
    [/quote]
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    1. Picked up MC insurance.
    I decided to go with American Modern. Seemed like the coverage was better. $257/year.

Progressive was about $500 some odd dollars.

Thanks for taking the time to give me feedback on American Modern, and the reference.

2. Went to Best buy to pick up the Nexus 7, and a prepaid verizon phone. I skipped on the Go-Pro.

3. Went to Sam's Club to do a Leader's Recon. regular gas was $3.05. I'm not sure what it was out in town. opps.
    I got two chocolate covered almonds for free. :cry From what I gathered Sat and Sun are the go to days for free samples. I'll get a membership in Febuary.

4. I went to the reserve center here in town to try and get my Inactive Ready Reserve card. It took a while for them to figure out what kind of animal I am.
    The earliest date they could give me was March 4th! :eek1
    I pushed it to the right a couple of weeks for 25th of March.
    I'm currenlty looking into having my DD-214 made into a wallet sized lamenated copy. Again, I'm trying to get on base for logistical support. Cheap chow, gym, and hot shower.

5. And then I picked up the Mighty DR.
    I was trying to take it slow and easy, but the throttle is sensative. The torque is there my friends. I only had time to ride the 3 miles or so back home. I'm glad I did not drop the seat height. My boots have about 50% of the sole on the ground. So the stock seat height is good to go.

I got a pleasent surprise. There is a trip meter that one could reset to keep an eye on your estimated fuel economy. :clap That's some high tech sh*t. I thought I was going to have to jot down numbers on my note pad.

The clutch was really good for my girly small hands. I used the index and middle finger technique from back in the late 90s. Last time I rode a MC. Same technique with the rights hand.

I was fairly nervous in the parking lot. I did not stail her or anything.
    I was so up tight that I did not even think about if the seat was good or bad.

Due to her sub 400lbs weight I was able to push her into the back yard building. Got to give the girl some shelter.
    It was about 50 degress F when I rode home. Yeah, the DR motor will keep me warm If I start to get cold. She was giving off a little heat.

It should be a good work out to push her around in the bush, or in the urban environment.

_____
    Tomorrow we will have some early showers.
    So I'll be fitting my bags on and such.
    Later, I'm going to try and get out and put on about 50 miles or so off and on. I'll continue to alternate the RPMs like I did today.

I'll also call ahead to Britt Motorsports in Wilmington, N.C. for the 600 mile service. I'm going to set that up on Tusday the 21st. I plan on deploying with about 225 miles on the ride. It's going to be about 330 miles or so for me to take the back roads down there.
    _