U.S./Canadian exchange rate.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by swjohnsey, Jun 2, 2006.

1. swjohnsey

swjohnsey Banned

Oddometer:
    Planning on leaving for Alaska June 7. For my trek across Canada where should I look for the best exchange rate. Can I get by using U.S. dollars? Will U.S. gas credit cards work in Canada?
  2. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Use your plastic as much as possible...and, use your ATM card for cash which usually nets the best conversion rate.

When I traveled in Italy for about 3 months not too long ago, I used two credit cards and one ATM for everything. No travelers checks at all.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Yankee dollars are accepted everywhere but you will get a crappy exchange rate. Use your credit card/Debit/ATM card to pay for stuff or get cash from bank machines. U.S. gas cards are good only at the same stations as in the U.S. ie Chevron, Esso/Exxon, Shell etc.
  4. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    exchange rate is 1.1 CDN/1 usd right now. Use your american plastic, the rates you get from your credit cards will be better than trying to convert a lot of cash. Make sure you open up international spending on your cards, or they might call and ask whats up.
  5. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use plastic like everyone said. Be sure and tell your credit card companies you are taking a trip. I have had mine shut off as the company thought someone stole them.:deal
  6. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Most credit cards charge a fee, usually a percentage fee for the exchange.
  7. ptero

ptero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be aware that even IF you tell them you are taking a trip, they may still block the cards. I notified them from home that I would be crossing the prairie. A few days into the trip, seeing movement from gas pump to gas pump, they cut mine off and security left a message at my home phone requesting a call to confirm the charges were legit. I did and they cleared it. A second card helps reduce the impact of this happening.

I do still call and notify of a trip, but also expect blocking to possibly occur. I suspect the block is tripped by computer and the 'intel' that this card is legitimately on a trip is somehow missed/ignored. Hopefully, I catch it by checking messages on the home phone, sometimes a gas pump will deny the card. So far I have not been confronted with a vendor who wants to confiscate the card.

Carry at least two different cards. If one gets blocked (such as being denied at a gas pump), just use the other one. Then that night or when it's convenient call the 800 number and square it with security. Don't forget Mom's maiden name!
  8. shineyup

shineyup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Use plastic whenever you can but go to a bank and exchange money. It can be a pain to have to rely on the plastic all the time, and although they will take US dollars, you can get nailed on the exchange. You'll end up with Canadian money anyway, might as well get the best exchange rate at a bank.
  9. BigX

BigX n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer:
    Some places will take American but only on a 1:1 exchange. That sucked. [​IMG] Plastic is best 'cause your bank will give you an exchange rate. For cash if you must, use small bills so they don't screw you on giving you change at 1:1 either.
  10. Cosmic_Jumper

Cosmic_Jumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Republic of Dreams , Bureau of Dubious Reality
    Not only should you inform your credit card company (in advance) that you'll be on a trip, you've also should emphasize that there will be lots of small dollar transactions b/c you've got to fill your motorcycle gas tank frequently.

It's the frequent niggling transactions that set off the red flags

Tim
  11. BigX

BigX n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer:
    So, you live in Canada AND your credit card company charges you $5 every time you use it in Canada to charge something in Canadian dollars? Hmmm...I guess I got lots to learn.
  12. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be takin' the scissors to that credit card. I've ridden on 2 week runs every year for the last 5 in the U.S., never been charged a service fee, and the exchange rate is quite good.
    Ciao, Steve G.