UA...UnderArmor

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by canyncarvr, Jan 4, 2020.

1. canyncarvr

canyncarvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have some years old UA baselayer stuff. It works well, but it gets to stink after only a day of riding.

Has that changed? Does UA underlayer clothing still have the tendency to foul-out in short order?

I gave up on polyester myself when I 'discovered' Merino wool. Still, at around half the price of merino, I might give it another try...if it isn't so awful on the smell.

Thanks for any input.
  2. canyncarvr

canyncarvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you haven't tried merino (no blend...all merino) fabric, you will be happy you did if you do. It's not 'resistant' to smelling unpleasant. It just doesn't. Like bamboo (rayon from) socks don't!
  3. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Merino wool is the only way to go. Ice Breaker is good stuff but pricey and well worth it!
  4. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t know about under armor specifically, but synthetic fabrics that incorporate antimicrobial treatments do work much better than the old plain polyester stuff. I still have some high end branded base layers from the mid 90s that work well but get stinky as soon as I sweat a bit (and have since new), but I also have newer stuff that specifically says it’s antimicrobial that works well and I can get a few days wear out of even in polite company.
    Turbocat likes this.
  5. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stick with 100% merino. Even at a higher price point, it is well worth it.

My favourite for the cost is Minus33.
    https://www.minus33.com/

Rob
  6. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Underarmor or similar quality synthetics don’t stink. For me. Any smell comes from the user. Liberal application of mineral rock deodorant to the pit And Chest Area, and I have never had an odor problem out of underarmor. In the hottest, sweatiest conditions. And I frequently wear it under body armor. I’m around a lot of folks who wear UA daily, and odor simply isn’t a problem.
  7. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear merino or UA depending on the conditions. It seems to be impossible to make merino stink. If you can do it, you're a smellier human than I. UA will get a bit on the nose after a long day in the heat but definitely nothing bad. The benefit is that it's more comfortable than merino in the high temps.
  8. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I wear cotton. Wear one, wash one. I stink, but the clothing doesn't. I also use %70 alcohol as a pre-deoderant deodorant. Knocks down bacteria on the skin.
  9. Peanut_Buttery

Peanut_Buttery Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I buy cheap Poly-whatever shirts and shorts for the gym and they would get damn stinky. Some googling determined that my detergent needed an upgrade. This stuff works great
  11. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    The mineral rock deodorant just makes it so you can't tell how bad you stink :brow
  12. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think UA is overrated. I used to wear their cold weather stuff in the winter but found cotton or actual wool to be superior. Once that synthetic stuff gets funky you can never get it out.
    racer1735 likes this.
  13. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wool is superior but cotton is not, leave the cotton at home! Cotton has no real insulative value when dry, but when wet it dont dry and pulls heat from your body. Cotton kills!
    Bill Lumberg likes this.
  14. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your synthetic is stinking, it’s you, not the garment. The bacteria that causes most body odor doesn’t just live in the armpits, it often propagates across the chest. Consider broader application of deodorant. I don’t know anyone who has an odor problem from UA, and that’s with close fit body armor and/or LBV’s. But everyone’s body is different, and there are certainly other base layer options.

And cotton does kill. I prefer cotton against my skin over anything else. But you won’t catch me wearing it where cold and wet may happen at the same time.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  15. Hockley Boy

Hockley Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a look at some bamboo base layers, bamboo has antibacterial properties which definitely helps keep the smell down it also has most of the benefits of merino but at a much lower price.
  16. kruzuki

kruzuki Gear in the Machine

Oddometer:
    I wear UA Base 2.0 for cold weather riding and skiing, or UA Base 3.0, when it's really f-n cold, for skiing. I haven't had any problems with odours.
  17. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    So...who has cotton killed? Cotton has been around a long time and it doesn't deserve the bashing it gets. I have active wear for riding, cycling, yoga, pickleball--some synthetic, some merino wool and some regular old cotton. The wool doesn't smell, but it's pricey and needs special care. The synthetic shirts will smell after a few hours of activity. The cotton shirts don't smell all day. BTW, I've been pretty miserable wearing wool or synthetic shirts under my riding jacket in hot weather. Sure, the shirts will dry quicker once I take the jacket off, but I'm pretty hot and sticky while riding in the heat.
    However, I admit that a pair of wicking long underwear is way more comfortable under overpants than denim jeans.

To me, the best use of wicking/quick-drying shirts is for travel, so you can wash them in the evening and have them dry overnight.
  18. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not going to argue with you wear whatever you want.
    Bultaco206 and Bill Lumberg like this.