Ugh! I'm so lost. Need tire recommendations...

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Enthusiastic Newbie, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Enthusiastic Newbie

Enthusiastic Newbie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having no luck learning how to use this forum or find appropriate "threads." Please help. Already feeling as if I've been carted off to "the hole" just out of processing!

I'm intending to hit the road for a number of months as a newbie first time adventure rider on my 2001 Tiger 955i. After about 200 feet in on a muddy lineman's road I quickly realized that an adventure bike isn't in any way remotely the same as my dirt bike from years ago.

After doing some preliminary research on off-road riding techniques, I was about to head out to perform some slow maneuvers out in the grit when I discovered my flat. Being that I haven't had the chance to get a tire plug kit, I figured this was a good time to look into getting some new tires for my "new" bike.

I figure I'll be doing about 70/30 on/off-roading. HELP! I want this done right the first time, so price isn't really a factor- as long as it's not an absurd amount comparative to the next best option. Any and all help will go a long way towards a grateful and docile inmate. :D
  2. ratranger

ratranger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For more road oriented the shinko 705s work well, for more dirt oriented the 804/805 shinkos work well. The 805s will wear a bit faster on the road, but I've installed 5 sets at the shop I work at and people keep coming back for them.
    MattLikeyBikey and Yellow Dog like this.
  3. Kerrizor

Kerrizor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You couldn't just ask about oil? ;)

Shinko 705s are great, pretty affordable - I've done loads of dirt in Alaska with them, plenty fine for more maintained dirt.

If up-front price isn't a concern, the Anakee Adventures are my current go to for both my Tiger and GSA, at least for a "80/20" tire.. but I'm on maintained dirt ("county roads", farm lanes, etc) and mostly in dry conditions. They're ok on gravel, but aren't great on slippery sand/dust over a hard surface (like most of SoCal/SCBDR in my experience.. ask my dislocated shoulder how I came up with this opinion ;) )

It's good to be honest about exactly how much dirt and what kind of dirt you're going to encounter.. and how you ride in it. That should dictate which tire you get more than any anecdotal report from around here. I don't ride _that_ much dirt, and I'm not aggressive when I do, so I don't need the aggressive-looking knobbies.
    Madman4049 likes this.
  4. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using Heidenau K60 Scouts on my 800 for 60k km and have been really happy with them. Ridiculously long life and decent offroad capacity. Not sure they will be in your size but worth checking out.
  5. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had very good results with the TKC70's in my tiger explorer. I bit heavy bike eat more dirt oriented tires too quickly. The TKC70 are good for 7,500 miles 8,500 in a stretch. They can go a bit longer. However, the wear pattern on the front induces a wobble if you strech it too long.
  6. Enthusiastic Newbie

Oddometer:
    To be clear, I currently live and ride in central Florida. Conditions are sandy, often boggy/marshy, and not without it's share of rain. Definitely appreciate the reply.
  7. Enthusiastic Newbie

Oddometer:
    I was looking at these, too. Seem to be a go too. Would you consider these to be appropriate for central Florida conditions which can range from bone-dry sandy (soft and over hard packed), to marshy wet conditions?
  8. AdamDaze

AdamDaze 2015 Tiger 800 XCX

Oddometer:
    I've been researching this at length lately.

For 80/20 kind of riding (ie, dirt roads but not heaps of full blown mud/desert/single goat tracks) all roads legitimately lead to the Avon Trailriders. I've lost count of how many people I've seen on here and elsewhere who've tried the other suspects, then tried these, and swear by them. Do your own google-fu.

Other regularly mentioned contenders were
    • Continental TKC70
    • Continental TKC80 for more offroad.
    • Mitas E07
    • Bridgestone AX41 Adventurecross
    • Dunlop Mission Trailmax
    • Michelin Anakee Adventure
    • Shinko 705 or 805
    • IRC TR8
    Apparently they are ludicrously "good" on and off road, and in the wet etc, despite not looking particularly "knobby". The sippes extend right to the sidewall unlike many other 90/10 type tread patterns.
    Blakduk likes this.
  9. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    To this list you could add the Motoz brand. https://motoz.com.au/product-category/adventure-tyres/

Then of course you have completely missed Pirelli!
    https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorcycle/all-tyres/catalog/on-off-road/all

...unless you've left them out purposely?
  10. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had K60's on my Super Tenere, and not sure on how they are on the lighter bike, they last a long time, but I did not like them in the rain. I am not sure I have seen the traction control light come on so much on a tire with a lot of tread as it did with those tires in the rain. They also seem to square off mid-life. I went to the Mitas E-07, and loved them. Read around, and a fair amount of people say the same on the K60's.
  11. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another issue I had with K60's are the sidewall is one stiff mofo. It took all I could do to break the bead in the garage. It convinced me to go tubeless in the rear tire, as I realized dismounting and patching a tube in a K60 would be a challenge.
    Enthusiastic Newbie likes this.
  12. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    How are the trailriders on gravel? IE higher speed two track roads as are found in the Intermountain west that go for miles?
  13. Enthusiastic Newbie

Oddometer:
    That's a very solid point. Was shying away from the k60s myself for this reason. I noticed in some threads, people talk about running different types and brands for front and rear. You got anything to say about this?
  14. Enthusiastic Newbie

Oddometer:
    Blakduk likes this.
  15. Enthusiastic Newbie

Oddometer:
    I've heard tell that the Motoz Tractionator GPS tires have a good amount of life in them for 60/40-50/50 tires...
  16. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another set of shinko 705s here, on my second set now.
    For my location, canadian rockies, they work pretty well, ive got lots of hard pack and clay roads, i do avoid mud though just cause thats my preference.
    I tried TKC 70s before these and wasn't pleased with them
    For me the price of the 705s can't be beat. $210 CAD for 2 tires shipped to my door
  17. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMO if you were just doing some occasional sand I'd run a knobby front (I run a TKC80) and a less aggressive rear (I run Mitas E07). If you're hitting mud I'd probably run a knobby rear too. Shinko 805 is good, but from others comments lacks some lateral grip and the TKC80 rears wear pretty fast. MotoZ or Mitas E09 or E10 rear will wear better and the knobs give more lateral control.
  18. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've rode them damned near everywhere in Alberta without issue, mountain roads primarily. I've heard they suffer in mud because of the center strip reinforcement but I've never seen proof either way.
  19. Redlegtrooper

Redlegtrooper Grrreat!

Oddometer:
  20. Enthusiastic Newbie

Oddometer:
    I'm coming to believe that perhaps there is no one configuration that handles both wet on and off road... Is there anyone that cares to correct this line of thinking? Perhaps I'm overthinking this. I AM going to be traveling cross-country, after all. Maybe in this instance I really SHOULD gear towards an 80/20 set-up. Just makes me sad to think that I won't be able to thrash some semi-serious trails without an extra set of tires being carried by a personal hired vehicle/driver. Lol.

Currently leaning towards "AloneInTheHills" suggested Mitas E-07, rear, and the TKC80, front. Just can't afford to slide into oncoming traffic on one of those winding scenic roads because of some damn wet.