Ultra-quiet exhaust?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by nuke, Dec 17, 2010.

1. nuke

nuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know, I'm weird, but I would be interested in an ultra-quiet exhaust system for my Adventure. Nothing would please me more than a silent ride, or nearly so. Just the sound of wheels rolling and air rushing by.

Anyone else?
  2. A_Vasiliev

A_Vasiliev Back like scoliosis

Oddometer:
    Electric conversion :evil

Or, for even more quiet operation - put the bike in neutral and push it down a long hill. Bam, no noise, infinite fuel economy, pure enjoyment for pennies on the dollar!

Ok, being serious for a moment:

In reality, there exist aftermarket double mufflers that you bolt onto your standard can that recycle the exhaust gas another time to make it quieter. Then again, all the ones I've seen have been advertised for ATV's in hunting applications. But, if you're determined...
  3. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having a quiet bike can help when LEO is talking to a rider.

I like it simply cause it does not run off the wild life.
    turbodieseli4i6 likes this.
  4. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with you.
    Stock exhaust and earplugs: I barely hear the motor, I do hear some muffled wind noise, I do hear music from my sat radio.
  5. lurch519

lurch519 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm all for a quiet ride to motor around on. I don't like riding a bike that sounds like a rhino in heat while on a trail somewhere.
  6. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    You get too quiet and they'll make you put a noisemaker on it like on the <s>Pious</s> Prius. :lol3

Good for you on wanting to be at the quiet end of the loud pipe spectrum. I've got stone stock pipes on my bikes and still wouldn't mind if they were quieter. I've already got tinnitus.
  7. scopedr

scopedr What have I done???

Oddometer:
    Yea, I'd like it quieter too. Rode through the mountains from Evanston to Salt Lake. Stood on the pegs and only heard the wind, it was a quiet ride, only had to watch for deer crossing the road, but it was so nice to only hear the wind. If I had earplugs, the wind factor wouldn't be there, but my tinitus roars like a jet engine, so I would still have company.
    oldfool and ErikMotoMan like this.
  8. crspep

crspep Circling the drain

Oddometer:
    I live in an area surrounded by retirement people so I've been trying to quiet down the 426 dualsport. When I choke it down to a stealth level, it doesn't like it at all. Instead, I take the klx 650 out. the stock silencer is super quiet, doesn't PO the neighbors......Much easier to deal with happy neighbors, and be able to leave from the house to go riding.

Quote "my tinitus roars like a jet engine"........... Even though I work in a loud environment, the rinnging in my ears is caused by the junk food I eat oddly enough
  9. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    If you can figure out how to get an RT's muffler on it, that might do the trick. They are really quiet.
    ErikMotoMan and Beecher Snipes like this.
  10. nuke

nuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Burgman 650 and a R1200 GS Adventure.

The burgie is very quiet. Even at freeway speed, if I duck my head under the windscreen, all I hear is the gears in the final drive whirring away. I really like that aspect of the bike.

The Adventure is much louder by comparison. I don't think it is terrible, but I'd enjoy it as quiet as it could be. Seems like all the aftermarket exhaust focuses on non-existent "performance" gains and louder more sporty sound.
  11. GeorgeinVA

GeorgeinVA Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer:
    A turbo can make the exhaust quieter. Most people run fairly open pipes on turbo systems of performance, but if you run a pipe with good baffling you make less noise than stock.
  12. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    My idea is this:

[​IMG]

That's a Hushpower universal fit kit for ATV's. Get one of those, or just any cheapo replacement muffler with a decently sized internal diameter. If there is a removable spark arrestor or something of that nature on the back of the stock can on the GSA, so much the better, you can make a direct bolt-on adapter for your double muffler setup that will bolt right onto the stock can. If not, you will need to get creative. Have a welder fab up a an adapter with a 180 degree bend, large enough to allow your second muffler to "sit" atop your stock one, make a new bracket and mount it solidly to the frame. Weld a spigot onto the end of your second muffler pointing the opening of the exhaust down towards the ground.

Typing all that out, it sure sounds like a lot of work, and it will be ugly as sin, and you probably won't be able to mount a saddlebag on that side, but hey, you wanted quiet...
  13. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    full Ti Akrapovic!
    oldfool likes this.
  14. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  15. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a set of Excel exhaust extensions on my GS. Not for the noise but to limit the baking of my left pannier. Added benefit is 3 - 6 dB drop in sound level, as noted from the drivers seat.
    dustin2, OzRider64 and BluByU like this.
  16. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    For a quick and noticeable reduction in noise, you can replace the standard end on the can with a down-turned spout angled 90 degree towards the ground. It really does help.
    def likes this.
  17. segwayy

segwayy Still love my 1100gs

Oddometer:
    I am also wanting to go quieter on my 2004 r1150gsa with stock exhaust , anybody have experience or ideas ? also working on quieter helmet ideas , i have a shoei rf1100 now , wanting to try bottom skirt to seal it better
    ObiJohn likes this.
  18. BluByU

BluByU Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here, the Excel Works exhaust extension sure helped at taming the heat in the side box (great product, good guy). I was not intending to change the exhaust note but it did make the bike a bit quieter and I noticed no difference in power (both on the 1150 and the Hex)
    For me my 1150 GSA and 1200 GSA are quiet enough, when I compare them to almost any other bike out there. I road to work and back a few days this week without earplugs, THe sound of the hexhead was soothing and mechanical. I have always ridden with earplugs never knew the bke sounded that soothing when rolling along at 4k.
  19. GT-Jim

GT-Jim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have used Excel Works exhaust extensions in the past but this time on my current GSA I installed a Yosh EPA approved silencer that is longer than the stock muffler. This pipe exits at the end of saddle bag eliminating the need for the extensions and is nice and quiet, just the way I like it.
    [​IMG]
  20. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonder if theres one like that for the LC bikes? Is that one quieter than stock or just quiet because the exit is further back? Can't find one at their website other than the shorter/louder pipe.