Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    How is this phone in the sun? My S9+ isn't very good in the sun. Especially with fingerprints all over the screen.

Love the idea of using the Kyocera instead of a garmin GPS unit but concerned with the viewability while on the bike.
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Love those blue pipes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I put an anti-glare protective film over mine. No problems at all.
    DirtRider.... likes this.
  3. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    well duh... i totally forgot about those. thx for the reminder
  4. SLUGGO

SLUGGO A Lone Drifter

Oddometer:
    Same here< I have never been able to gat that app to work. Suggestions/workaround anyone?
  5. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    If you folks use the wave up app... to turn the screen on and off with by shading the phone... the power saved would more than likely run any cell searching antenna :dunno Just need to pin the navigation app to the screen so the phone opens to the nav screen instead of the home screen.

Loadtoad101 likes this.
  6. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    So I just received my Wsken round magnetic charge cable and I am impressed with it! The fitment of the adapter is really tight within the DFP, it is almost hard to imagine much, if any, water getting into the port with this thing in place. Has anyone rode in the rain while charging with this device?
    ohgood likes this.
  7. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    O put a bit of silicone (RTV) just to be sure,also helps to keep it in place and water out
    ohgood likes this.
  8. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode all day in the rain a few weeks ago with my DF Pro and a regular Anker cable. I smeared dielectric grease on the USB and phone connections. No problem.

So with the Wsken you're removing the charge port door or just leaving it open?
    ohgood likes this.
  9. gpsdualsport

gpsdualsport former mid life crisis motorcycle owner

Oddometer:
    Yo @scootertrog. I'm also playing with those magnetic cables. Ordered Netdot Gen 12 from Amazon instead of the Wsken cables. The adapter is really tight in my DFP. It will take pliers to grab the adapter to get it out, can't do it with just my fingers.
    As for waterproof my guess would be no and I'm not willing to chance it. My last phone was a Kyocera Hydro Icon that I left plugged in during a rain storm. Enough water got in to fog the camera lens from the inside.
    It didn't die but I'm sure that it didn't help future durability.
  10. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    For now, I'm just leaving the port door open and the adapter installed. The only time this could ever see rain is while on a ride, and that's a very small percentage of time in the grand scheme of things. I figured if it does rain, I'll just pull the adapter and close the door. I get over half a day with the gps apps running and screen @ full brightness, so really not concerned with having to charge while riding. If need be on a trip, I can plug the phone into an Anker power bank and throw it in a case for 15 mins or more. I am hard on micro-USB ports, sort like just trying to jam the ol weiner into you know what, lol. Be best in the long run to just keep the Wsken plugged in. Really liking this concept.

Yeah, I don't have long enough fingernails to pop the Wsken out either, will have to use a key or something. webmonstro has the right idea with the RTV. I'd absolutely do that if I removed the door.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  11. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    My Wsken came with a removal tool. Small plastic piece.
  12. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Oh..... Is that a rectangular piece? I thought that was trash and threw it in the can. Lol! I'll take another look at it tonight, thanks!
  13. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Love those blue pipes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Loads of times. Mine has a dab of dielectric grease on it and it has given me no trouble. I DID pull the connector apart trying to get it out of the port and had to replace it. Once it's in there, removal needs to be very carefully done. Do not recall seeing a removal tool (but if it was there, it wasn't obvious what it was)
    scootertrog likes this.
  14. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    OK - I found the green plastic piece that came with this cable. Note to anyone else ordering the Wsken cable........ don't throw away the plastic "prybar", lol. :)
    Northern_Rider777 and ohgood like this.
  15. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Yup. It's the puller outer thing.
  16. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    How is the Duraforce pro with wireless charging? Can it keep up with usage and heat?
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i tried it for a while, with an old wireless charger in the house.... the test was to steam YouTube 1080p to a chrome cast, full brightness. ampere (application) said it was charging at 1.4ah when it was under 90%, but I've over 90% it trickled off to just above what was required to keep moving up slowly, very slowly.

i wouldn't worry as long as you have a hot power source and good connections.
  18. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Thanks, been think I need to move to wireless to toughen up my GPS setup for awhile. Have an S5 Active, but no qi charging. Tempted to try a cheap universal, but if it can't be sealed well then it might be to time to get a Duraforce. I did see there is the Duraforce Pro 2 now. Anyone look at that yet?
  19. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the netdot cables, but haven't had any troubles. My phone didn't have the charging cover when it arrived. Have ridden through two or three rain storms and about 600 miles of dusty dirt roads last week. It's still trucking along just fine.
  20. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in it, but the prices are still in*new*range so I'll wait a while
    Sonny S. likes this.