Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. marret

marret Transient

Oddometer:
    Amphib, scootertrog and ohgood like this.
  2. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    marret likes this.
  3. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    What anti-glare type screen protector are you all using? any links would be great.

the ones i've used in the past always seem to not stay put on the phone after a month or so.
  4. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 formpig.com + motorradRP

Oddometer:
    gents.
    i've been carrying around pages 1 - 123 here for quite some time and want to pick up a kyocera duraforce pro from verizon? is that right? any ideas on best vendors/pricing and if this is the correct model?
    it's e6810?
    anywhere reliable to buy refurbished?
    the only thing i think i am missing is if i travel overseas i would like to be able to pick up a local SIM card and pop it in.
    THANKS for any intel.
    and THANKS to @PDX Alamo
    i copied and pasted the full into on this into a word document and removed the images so i just had text. and the organization of this presentation is pretty extra-ordinary...
    - jon
  5. Ambu-dude

Ambu-dude medic-rider

Oddometer:
    Just got a Verizon DuraForce pro from swappa for 60 $ I would look there. It arrived and was in great shape without any issues yet Just have to get used to android to figure things out ( Apple guy )
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  6. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    thanks man. apple here too. a lot of experience with WIN OS though.
    so checked out swappa (thanks).
    i’m hoping to spend a little more and get refurbished. i guess i take my chances on ebay with a highly rated seller then...?
  7. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I've purchased 3 phones on Swappa to date. All were listed as "mint", and arrived in that condition. Swappa sellers have ratings as well, and I believe much more accurate than the system ebay uses (many sellers on ebay now hold the buyer hostage to a "positive" rating). I think if you purchase from a high-rated seller you'll be fine.
    JagLite and hotwheels22 like this.
  8. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    thanks. any thoughts on buying a refurbished unit as opposed to used...?
  9. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    It's been a real process for me, but getting there.
  10. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how to disable that stupid "I don't care if you're an adult capable of making responsible choices, you can't turn the volume up that far" dialog?

I pair the DFP and my "real" phone both to my cardo. It's easier to manage the volume if I just set both phones to Max and adjust the volume of the headset
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    refurbished can mean by anyone.

buy a mint/new unit, they're much better normally
    Davidprej and hotwheels22 like this.
  12. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    There are 3rd party apps that can override that, but I believe the phone needs to be rooted. Though that tends to reset if the phone is rebooted.
    TripleTriples likes this.
  13. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    hey man.
    trying to nail this down for myself. i’ve been studying this thread quite a bit and i got to thinking.
    can i just ask you - i have an iphone with ATT. usually i carry my spare older iphone with me. since it gets wifi and GPS it has served two purposes. as a backup phone in case mine died. but also to experiment with GPS apps.
    only major drawbacks i guess is it is impossible to use in the rain which really really sucks but also overheating.
    is there a benefit to my moving to android and the kyocera? and if so should i get ATT phone and not verizon as i had been thinking?
    i was about to pull the trigger last night and i’ve actually started thinking i should stay on iOS and get my software and file methods straightened out first.
    thoughts?
    really if i think about it it is mostly the not being able to use the iphone in the rain that is a bitch...
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  14. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Waterproof case?

(Will make overheating prob in sun worse but it’s a cheaper option and keeps your preferred iOS)
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  15. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    thanks. i’ve been having one massive flip flop flip since i bought my garmin. still can’t get maps loaded though.
    1/3rd off the time i think to put in the effort into the old school static software with buttons, 1/3rd to just roll with iOS and a 1/3 to move to android and the kyocera.
    maybe just move forward with iOS and put off a decision i guess.
  16. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    $50 for a Duraforce XD you can easily sell on for $40 if you don’t get on with it.

Warning: Locus has a STEEP learning curve, especially if you’re trying to learn Android at the same time.

I had a 24 hour layover on my way to the far side of the world for work. A full day with nothing to do, in a hotel near an airport in a place I’ve been several times before. I spent most of the spare day, whether over breakfast, sitting on my balcony or lounging in the bar, playing with Locus, practicing route (track) creation, map loading, etc. By the time my next flight left, I had Locus figured out and a whole load of possible routes for my Alaska trip planned out and saved. I also downloaded and played with several POI databases of ADV waypoints or similar interest.
    Sonny S. and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  17. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    You can do both man. iPhone to carry on you and do what your doing now and an ATT Duraforce for the bike nav and as a back up to the iPhone.
  18. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    This has nothing to do with the topic but I was listening to a program this morning and they were talking about that phrase and how it is so commonly misused. Admittedly, I too have used it improperly and multiple times in this and in the Locus thread.

The guy was saying that the reason why people associate the steep learning curve with something hard is because your mind instantly associates something 'steep' with a hard task. Obviously, walking up a steep hill is harder than a shallow one.

But the fact is that a steep learning curve is actually something easy. If the curve on a graph of the task over time is steep, it means it was learned in less time than if it were a shallow curve.

We've been saying it wrong all along. :)
  19. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Anyone here have experience using OsmAnd or Locus in the United Kingdom? I'm heading to England/Scotland in August (for a vacation with a rental car, not a motorcycle trip), and I'm thinking of bringing my Brigadier along to use as a GPS, instead of paying for an international data plan on my regular Verizon plan. Cheers :thumb
  20. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I’ve used Locus all over N. America, UK, many other parts of Europe, Africa, Australia and Asia. The device doesn’t care where it is and all the maps I’ve used so far seem pretty good (I pay the small fees for the Locus maps.)
    BLucare and Sonny S. like this.