Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Darn. I have the ATT version. So I have to run in non airplane mode and kill my battery searching for a cell signal?
  2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you try what's lined out in the OP?
  3. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I don't believe so. IIRC ( heavy on the IF part ) ohgood solved the puzzle on that and posted about it in this thread, there's a number code you punch in. This is where strong thread search skills are gonna come in handy.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's in the first post...
  5. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Found it; I turned off the cell radio using this method but I still get the empty cell signal bars showing. I turned off airplane mode so I have GPS radio working now.

As for tracks and routes...how to create a track in kurviger, furkot, mappite, etc. rather than creating them as routes so the file will not show up as straight lines when imported into the navigation phone apps previously mentioned. Still fighting the good fight to be a android loyalist and avoid the evil Garmin empire
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you export the trip in Furkot it gives you options. Try looking at those export options. One of them is to export as a route. Don't use that one.
    Glenn247 likes this.
  7. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Did you visit the link I posted? I can't help you with the Furkot questions, but I can help with the Mappite process if I can understand where you are getting hung up. Either way, don't let it frustrate you - there's plenty of help here and we will get you going. :)
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    radio switcher is on the Android market. turn off the cellular with it and that's all you need. sometimes i use the built in application to just turn off data, so i can still text as needed.
    Brtp4 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  9. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    I was able to switch off the cell radio using the procedure outlined by @TheRealKnobbytracks in the post I quoted above. This allowed me to turn airplane mode off and have the GPS sensor on but the cell radio off. I guess this is how it has to be done with the AT&T model.

I'm working through the routes vs tracks issue now. I guess you can create tracks yourself by recording a gpx track or exporting a file the right way in furkot?

Which combinations are you using for creating the track on your pc and then following the track using your android? Mappite + OsmAnd, Furkot + Locus?

And do I have to by the Co-Pilot paid version to be able to import tracks and routes? I'm looking for a road GPS app that will let me do that?
  10. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Furkot, export a track, and run it in whatever app I feel like that day. Usually locus but sometimes OsmAnd.

Copilot requires a specific file type and export method. Once again, when you export from Furkot, pay attention to the options. Copilot is one of those options.

Just so we're clear, this is what the export screen looks like.

Attached Files:

11. Lanval

Lanval Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just want to throw a quick thank you in here for the great discussion on software, in addition to the hardware suggestions. Just picked up some USB cables with the magnetic ends. The last couple of days really makes this project complete for someone finding this project for the first time, or maybe returning.

Thanks everyone.
  12. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Do you need the paid version of copilot to import a file made with furkot?
    Davidprej likes this.
  13. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CoPilot uses *.trp files, but they do not provide a built in import/export function. You have to use a file system manager to put the .trp files in the correct location. I use Dropbox for storing the files as most file managers will connect to a Dropbox folder. It should not matter if you have the paid version or not, but I think there are other functions that are handy that make it worth the little cost.
    AugustFalcon likes this.
  14. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    I have the paid version of CoPilot on our iPhone, and yes, I could import a .trp into that. When I got the Kyocera, it appeared that CoPilot no longer offered the "Premium" version for the Android platform, or at least it was not clear on the Google Play site. ALK (the owner of CoPilot), appears to not be supporting that app so I sort of just ignore that app now. The free version is still pretty good for "get me from A to B" auto-routing.

My process is as follows:
    1. Create route in Mappite.org, using the "OSM Standard" road setting.
    2. "Share" (export) the route with the "Track (gpx)" option. This will send the file to your Downloads folder on the PC. The file name will appear as xxxxxx-trk.gpx
    3. I typically just email this gpx file to myself. You can also move it to a folder like Dropbox.
    4. Open email, tap the attached file. It will ask you what you want to do. Pick "VIEW". It should automatically open Guru and the route should show up. It initially places the route into the "Mappite Route" folder. You can leave it there, or create a new folder and move it. You can now rename the route and change the color of it as well.

Hope this helps!
    Eatmore Mudd, ohgood and Davidprej like this.
  15. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

see my earlier post, referencing the "radio switcher"application for turning off the cellular radio.

for routes/tracks, i normally create them on the phone. if you prefer creating them on a desktop, just make sure you export them as a full route or track. otherwise you'll end up with just a set of routing POINTS, which is exactly why so many people have had issues with routes while doing things the old way on Garmin devices. they thought they exported a full route, but it was really only a few shaping points, that was left up to the gps to decide how to route. this caused all kinds of confusion/errors once the routes were turned on and nothing worked as intended.

tracks are always more reliable, route shaping points are much less so.

for street riding i just use Google maps
    Sonny S. and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  16. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Co-Pilot on my android (free version) doesn't allow for a .trp file to be loaded--that feature is there but "grayed out" and not available to select.

Looks like paying 15 bucks for Co-Pilot gets you traffic and voice navigation for a year....

My question is, is there an app similar to co-pilot that can load a .trp file to follow it? If not, how can it be done with Co-Pilot?

My phone will not give me the option of opening the .trp file with Co-Pilot for some reason; it doesn't show up on the list of apps to open the file
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not load up tracks in Locus and have it GUIDE you? It does essentially the same thing. .trp files are Co-Pilot only that I am aware of.
  18. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    I'd pay the yearly subscription to TomTom GO before buying the CoPilot app. Using TomTom's MyDrive program on the PC, it'll sync to the GO app and the files transfer over in excellent condition. You'll then have turn-by-turn, just like a Garmin. There's a free trial GO app ( only good for 50 miles, lol) you can try to see if it will work for you. I ran the TomTom GO app concurrently with the Guru app just recently on a 5,200 mile trip. There were just a couple times where the GO app tried to re-route me off my imported route. The re-routes were short-cuts calculated by GO, no biggie and I just either followed it or stuck to the original trk displayed on Guru. :)
    The one feature the GO app has that I really care about, is it will show you upcoming gas stations. Since I don't have a Data plan, that was a worthwhile item. If you have a Data plan, there's several apps that will lead you to gas. The GO app has a beautiful layout and was very easy to read in all but the very worst sunlight conditions (which very very few).
  19. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The .trp files (unique to CoPilot) are stored in the (Android) com.alk.copilot.mapviewr\na\save folder. Probably within internal storage but could be on the SD card. The 'load/save' function is part of the 'Plan Trip' function from the main menu. Quite possibly, this is something that is not available in the free version. These .trp files can be copied/moved using a file system manager, but can only be read by the CP app if they are in the correct place.

The Trip Planning capability of CP is the main reason I continue to use it. I've mentioned before, I probably do 95% of my planning directly on the phone, so don't really need a computer with me all the time. For turn-by-turn navigation, Locus is pretty close to CP, but still not quite up to the ease of use and planning capability, and a lot more complicated to use. With the entire North American road and POI database installed in about 2.5gb, I can plan a trip from Key West Florida to Deadhorse AK, right on the phone (all off-line) and never have to worry about space or downloading multiple maps. Not perfect but damn sure is easy enough..

And just an FYI, ALK was acquired by Trimble, and they are still supporting the app. Just pushed out an update a week or two ago..
    AugustFalcon and Davidprej like this.
  20. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Thanks - good to know! When I got my DFP a few months ago, I wanted to purchase the CoPilot "Premium" version, but the Google Playstore had some mumbo-jumbo in the app description that it was no longer being supported, the whole thing was sort of vague so I didin't want to take a chance and waste the $10 or whatever it was. I did like the CoPilot "Premium" that was on my iPhones, for get me from A to B. I still prefer to follow the trk files in Guru for planned-out trips. :)

That's the beauty of smartphone navigation - tons of alternatives that one can pick/choose from to suit his/her needs.