Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you can download a TomTom Go app for your android (paid or free version) and use that in lieu of Co-Pilot to read .trp files and/or gpx files?

Also, after selecting the tracks option for exporting from Furkot and then loading that file into locus and OsmAnd and Gaia the route seems to display better and it appears a rough navigation feedback option is possible.

So I'm on duty at Ft. Knox, KY and I plan to ride back to Virginia using all back roads. Here is my route which is the one I'm hoping to follow using my android:

Attached Files:

2. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Ok; I'm frustrated. I have the 14 day trial going on for Co-Pilot now and I still can't load a .trp file with the app because that feature / option is clearly "grayed out" and not selectable...what gives? I see the option there to import the .trp file but it can't be selected.

The phone also doesn't list Co-Pilot as one of the apps with which I could open the .trp file when I select it from the internal storage or SD card; what gives?

I just want to display and follow the .trp file I exported from Furkot using Co-Pilot...
  3. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    No idea here. I don't use Copilot because I don't think it's as good at what I need as OsmAnd and Locus.
  4. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I've never had the free version, so I can't confirm if you can upload a trp file or not to it. I could on the paid-for iPhone version, but like Garmin, CoPilot was fast to recalculate/re-route, which I didn't like, and drove me to find an app like Guru (formerly Galileo Pro) to use for my pre-planned routes. From what I've seen, if an app can "re-calculate" or give you turn-by-turn guidance, it has a high probability of re-routing you to it's liking vs staying strictly on your imported route/trk/trp.

I'm not a fan of Furkot. It's a very good "trip planner", but for me, the user interface is too cumbersome to just throw down a route. I don't want to mess with drawers, cabinets and all that other guano, lol.
    dflow likes this.
  5. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    So which route planner do you use to build out your routes? Furkot seems okay to me but I'm a dunce

And you use Guru to navigate your pre-planned route so it doesn't reroute you against your pre-planned route?
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you looking for ROUTING or just following a TRACK that you've created? I feel like you're getting confused between the 2.
    ohgood likes this.
  7. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to follow tracks of my own creation
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't need routing then. OsmAnd, Guru, Oruxmaps, and Locus will work just fine.

Just about any of the top apps will work just fine.

You're focusing on the wrong things.

Guru will be the easiest.

OsmAnd is a good balance of ease of use and features.

Locus is the hardest but the most rewarding and feature rich GPS app there is.

Following tracks is easy. Locus will even verbally guide you (guidance, not navigation) on tracks.
    ohgood likes this.
  9. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Oh boy...... :uhoh Seems like depending on what program/device/app/person, whatever you use, the terminology is FUBAR as far as the definition of ROUTE or TRACK.

I use Mappite.org. I pick points on a road and it connects them, following the road. I export that as a Track (gpx) file. lol Guru is like having a paper map that you take a sharpie and highlight the roads you want to ride. It does not calculate or deviate from what you import. I have not tried it, but I think Guru has auto-route capability if it has a Wi-Fi connection.

If you like Furkot, by all means stick with it, it can do some pretty cool stuff. It's just too much for what I require.
    Davidprej likes this.
  10. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    Many new folks coming into the dual sport realm here with the main interest of keeping it in the dirt... besides pointing the newer GPS users to the kyocera family.. everyone gets the initial Locus gospel... so there is hope of familiarity /self help within the group. :-)
    ohgood likes this.
  11. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wasn't going to say anything but I think the definitions of Track and Route are the same everywhere I look. A track is a series of points with straight lines connecting them with no regard for roads/trails.
    A route is a series of points which your software forces to roads on it's map and connects these points by following roads on it's map.

What that means is when you export a track you export a list of points, then when you import them the software plots them as lat/long points and connects them with straight lines with no regard for a road on a map. If the distance between the points is small and the map scale you are using is large you will not see it as straight lines until you zoom in and then you will see the straight lines between the points.
    When you export a route you again export a list of points that the import software plots then connects them using the roads in it's maps as lines following it's roads. If it can not lay the points on roads on it's maps it will tell you it does not match it's roads and ask if you want to recalculate using it's maps. Generally the 'fixed' points in a route file are much farther apart than in a track file.

I believe they are both .gpx files? It's been over ten years since I looked inside an xml file :gerg
    ohgood likes this.
  12. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Varies with the programs you are using. Tracks imported into Guru are not straight lines (rte files do show up as a stright point-to-point line), they lay on the roads nicely. I'd have to dig into my files, but I believe TomTom's MyDrive works with trk files as well (been a few weeks since I was in that program). :)

I think the .gpx extension is indeed the most common extension, and even CoPilot needs it to be converted to a .trp file. It's all very confusing, at least to me.
  13. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    a gpx file can contain a track, a route, a bunch of individual POI, or any combination of any number of those.
    AugustFalcon and ohgood like this.
  14. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need to google 'gpx', you will find the answers to these questions and should be able to get a better handle on these file types and uses and why so many different file extensions.
    Much of your confusion comes from the fact that many software developers want to make their own unique file types almost all of which just have small differences in their schemas. Just hooks to get you to use (buy) their software.

Much of the reason so many of us are leaving Garmin and/or TomTom is because using "phone" apps as navigation software opens up so many additional capabilities for us to use/choose depending on what we need that day.

Eatmore Mudd, MrMac and ohgood like this.
  15. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Post the trp and we'll give it a try
  16. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those of you with the att version of phone. I wanted to temporarily use my AT&T duraforce Pro as a phone to use data on my current trip across the country. I stopped at Walmart and bought a Straight Talk SIM card. The phone guy there installed it and got the calling feature to work. Later on trip I tried to use the data and could not connect to the internet. After several frustrating days trying to get data to work I discovered after stopping at an AT&T store, that the Straight Talk SIM card will not work for data. $50 thrown down the drain. The AT&T rep said that that SIM card from Straight Talk worked with their old cell phone service but now they have new towers LTE 4 and that's the rub.
    Update: rep at the AT&T store was lying to me, found an article on the web called APN settings for dummies, folslowed their instructions and I now have 4G LTE
  17. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    lol.... Been using some brand of GPS since about 1980 - I'm very of what a gpx file is and the information it contains. My comment was just referring to the mass confusion created by all the different programs/apps usage of the terms Route and Track. The terms are pretty much useless now when trying to help or describe issues - as this very thread has proved. :)
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:

Hmm... sounds bogus to me. Generally speaking the straight talk customer service is horrible best, and IF you can get a person that actually knows anything their system only updates every 15-30 minutes, so you have to waste hours calling back when they still haven't setup your account

But att should have known better, and changed your APN to get data working. Maybe there sick of fixing straight talk stuff for free ?

If you look on forums you'll probably find how to do it.
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I got another pro Kyocera...

This one is MINT

Make sure to fully wipe yours before you start loading applications... it will FLY after a couple wipes !
    Eatmore Mudd and Sonny S. like this.
  20. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    I can't seem to post up a .trp file. Only gpx files seem to be available to post up
    ohgood likes this.