Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Are you serious? Downloading offline GM data is ridiculously easy. they even tell you when your map is about to expire and all you have to do is click yes and they update them for you. How can it get any easier?

I agree that it's best for A to B navigation only but their offline map downloading is easy.
  2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gmaps is ok to download if you know the exact places you're going to be but if you're just out exploring and don't know exactly where you are going, it's not very good without service.
    BLucare, Davidprej and Sonny S. like this.
  3. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    That is true. Also true is that, unless you are an IBA rider you can typically download a sizeable enough area where that simply is a non-issue.
    Davidprej likes this.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Washington state is two downloads, ish.

Screenshot_20190721-204146.png
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    And Oklahoma is 3-4 (depending on how you cut it), at more than double the size of normal OsmAnd or Locus maps...

I travel a lot between Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, and New Mexico, with an occasional jaunt into Colorado or Kansas. For Google, I have to go and spend quite a bit of time downloading all those areas (many of the areas I go have no service). That's a LOT of storage consumed too.

The normal Locus or OsmAnd maps are perfectly acceptable for what I need, and if I need Google services, I will use them when I get cell service again.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    64 gig class 10 microSD in my Df Pro gives plenty of space for plenty of stuff.
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 128gb card in mine. So what? My DF Pro isn't my main phone and never will be. I have a much better phone for day to day use. It doesn't change the fact that I don't want to manage offline gmaps tiles and that the maps available to me on OsmAnd and Locus MORE than suffice what I need.

Again, managing the gmaps shit is more trouble than I care for. It's weird that I agree with so much that is said here, yet you guys still want to convert every single person over to YOUR way...I agree with using a phone as a GPS device, and I won't pay Garmin for less features than I can get from literally any Android device, but to ME, Google is pretty useless without data, and I don't want to manage offline shit for it on a device. I treat my DF Pro as a dedicated GPS device. I download apps and maps and I go ride.
    Battmo, Biff's R, Loadtoad101 and 4 others like this.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Whoa turbo you're reading me wrong. I'm one of many dudes who carries a Garmin as a backup. What i'm doing here is sharin one way of many, "a way, not THE way" So if the shoe don't fit and all that....comprende?
    Kelsen, ohgood and EMFL like this.
  9. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, Gentlemen, I made it back from a wild ride; all back roads from Fort Knox, KY to Lynchburg, VA...rode right through the heart of the Opiod Belt (Front page of Beckley, WV Newspaper).

Attached is the .trp file for Co-Pilot (renamed .gpx to get it to upload here on advrider so you'll have to change it back); I wasn't able to use this because my free version of Co-Pilot would not allow me to load a trip.

The second file is the actual .gpx track I followed for back roads from Fort Knox to Virginia....if anyone wants to follow it...

Now here were my issues..OsmAnd worked for about an hour and then after closing it, I was never able to get it to read the .gpx file again although it could be read by Gaia and Locus...very odd.

OsmAnd was good for navigating for the short hour it read the .gpx file, however, after that I could not get navigation to work in locus, Guru, or Gaia...very frustrating.

I resorted to using Gaia to help me follow the tracks, however, it was frustrating that the screen would not advance with my position which required me to periodically swipe the screen to make my position visible again...

So, in short, it worked but not well.

How does navigation work in Gaia, Guru or Locus?

How can I upload a .trp file into Co Pilot..does it require paying for the full version?

Any idea why OsmAnd could read the gpx file data and then all of a sudden it wouldn't despite the other apps reading it?

Any other apps for following a .gpx track?

I would have never been able to take all back roads like this from KY to VA without navigation like this...many road signs were not there or were different than what I expected them to be.

The other attachment is a track I made to take back roads from VA to Northern Michigan which is next for me...any thoughts on how to best follow it with my android duraforce?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Davidprej likes this.
  10. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Just for your situational awareness (FYSA) and as a fair warning, stealth camping along the KY to VA route through the Opiod Belt has risk associated with it. I was spotted by a drug addict behind a church in Leslie County Kentucky about 15 miles outside of Manchester, KY and within minutes he returned with 4 buddies doped up on meth or heroine...long story short I was able to roll away with my life and bike despite them thinking I was an undercover cop.

I saw this front page on my way back this weekend and I realized I went through the heart of the Opiod Belt on back roads...

The second photo was taken from the pedestrian bridge in Alderson, WV....great ride altogether Opiod Belt.jpg Alderson WV.jpg
  11. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Glenn,
    I saved your Knox _- _Home_Tracks.gpx file to my DOWNLOADS folder. Emailed it to my personal Yahoo acount, where I opened the email, then clicked "VIEW". It opened in Guru just fine - looks like a nice route! This file, at least, when used with Guru, is just fine.
  12. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Wow, I actually thought you had to specifically select the Guru file type when exporting from Furkot (it's a separate option for Guru track option when exporting from Furkot)

I did use Guru but had Guru open the file I created specifically for it...I just did not post the Guru version file in my post...

The real issue I had was being able to successfully navigate these tracks from the bike using my duraforce and its apps. Like I said, after trial and error and burning daylight fiddling with it I resorted to using Guru to simply follow along but had to swipe the screen to make my position visible because the screen would not advance with my movement if you know what I'm saying...

Another problem was at some point the map data went out on Gaia I believe and wouldn't come back although I could still see the tracks and my position with the app.
  13. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    When using Guru, did you "tap" the little circle in the bottom-left corner so the "north indicator" showed up? That should have self-centered your current position and have the map scroll accordingly.
  14. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    With Gaia, unless you download the maps you need, when you lose data/cell service you lose the map. They do not offer free offline maps like the others can do.
  15. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I was able to load the .trp file into CoPilot. However, I will admit that with the number of waypoints you used, following a track in Locus would probably be a better option. CP just doesn't do well with that many waypoints spaced closely together. You might could have created the route with a lot fewer, but I just didn't take the time to look at it that close. That is the beauty of using an Android, you can choose the right app that works for each specific situation!
  16. dr350maniac

dr350maniac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's everyone using for mounts for the DF Pro?

I ordered the phone today.
  17. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    SlipGrip cradle with RAM ball. Been very happy with these cradles for all my phone's/iPods over the years.
    JagLite likes this.
  18. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    JagLite likes this.
  19. dflow

dflow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-PD3U with RAM ball mount. Use the short RAM connecting arm (not sure what they call it). The longer ones tend to cause shifting/movement of the phone in rough stuff.
    JagLite and PineLaneRider like this.
  20. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Davidprej likes this.