1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. gavmac

gavmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gday ohgood I tried doing a very simple short track in Furkot & it still wouldn't open in OsmAnd, so I believe the answer is the extensions that Furkot puts in the GPX (see above) are what OsmAnd spits the dummy about.
    ohgood likes this.
  2. binaryplease

binaryplease Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help!
    I'm considering whether to buy a cheaper, sprint with "bad ESN" or spend a bit more and just get an unlocked one. Just to be sure, if I go with one marked "unlocked" I will be able to use it in Germany with any SIM card right?

E.G. This one I think would be worth the 15$ extra, I have a second SIM anyway and it might come in handy
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/KYOCERA-DU...sh=item340f985e18:g:DsAAAOSw99ddOTUp&LH_BIN=1
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  3. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Anyone else have the DF Pro decide to not stay at full brightness at times and then go back to it? I have mine set to auto and it seems when the sun if overhead that mine will darken (I have my shield and sun visor down all the time.). I flip up my sun visor to see if it's my but the screen is darker or at least appears to be. I'm wondering if auto brightness is acting up. Although, I turned it off and set the brightness to full and didn't see any change.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

I'll try it today, but normally I use full brightness or 1/3 brightness in the woods.
  5. dflow

dflow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine does that same thing and it is very random, I have the adaptive brightness set to the off position. I prefer the screen at full brightness.
    PineLaneRider likes this.
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Tasker to control brightness for me.

If plugged in, and it's daytime, auto is off, full brightness. If night time or not plugged in, set to auto and dim the screen.
  7. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine does that fairly often, I used to think it was because it was in the full sun and getting hot but I'm not sure.
    I turned the auto bright off long ago and have it set at 100% bright.
    I'm leaving later this week on a few weeks ride to the northwest. I have a Nomu I'm taking as a backup. Also my iphone, and I'll carry some paper maps. Maybe even take the years old Garmin Nuvi out of the car.

8. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    My DF XD does that occasionally. I wonder if it's due to temperature.
  9. Dub_ADV

Dub_ADV Back in the saddle again.

Oddometer:
    Disregard, wrong thread...

I love my Kyocera though. LOL

Thanks
    Dub
  10. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Does your's still do it with adaptive brightness off and the brightness level set to a fixed one?
  11. dflow

dflow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YES. I went for a 4 hour ride this morning and never saw it dim this time. It's random so I haven't figured out the cause if there is one.
  12. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Goodbye Garmin 276C thanks to this thread!

GPS-G276C.jpg
  13. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    W
    hat mount are you using for it?
  14. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure its due to temp. I use fixed brightness and if its on full brightness running a navigation app it will dim after a while and the phone feels really hot when that happens.
  15. Slickrick

Slickrick Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine (Verizon DF Pro) does the same thing. Also if I leave it on the bike in the full sun while taking a break it will overheat & dim. Really is the only thing I do not like using it as a GPS.

I currently have another issue I would like to resolve, I am in Italy riding with a prepaid Vonnage SIM card,
    Eveything is working fine except the screen goes blank with the warning message that the phone is now Roaming with higher charges as it picks up new towers. I have to reach out & dismiss while riding. I have used the phone in Baja in airplane mode, works fine, but over here I kinda like having access to data while traveling. I have looked at the menus but could not find a way to turn this off. Thanks in advance[
  16. dflow

dflow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heat seems the most logical explanation although mine is usually not in the sun and it has happened when the air temps are reasonable (below 80°). Full brightness may be enough to heat it up.
  17. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I suspect it's a heat-related protection built-in to the unit. I've noticed it as well, but just tilting the phone or turning off the screen for a few minutes alleviated the issue. Ambient temp was near 100, full sun, and the screen had been on all day. I typically leave the screen brightness on manual control and unless using a GPS app, I tkeep it just over 1/2 power.
  18. dflow

dflow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I'm on the bike so is the plugged in, screen on, phone with GPS app active. I'm going to keep a closer eye on this tho it's not a big deal. Deer, dogs, turtles and the occasional cage driver that feels they need more than their lane to get through a curve get my undivided attention.
    Northern_Rider777, JagLite and Dread like this.
  19. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AMEN!
  20. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    If you are just using the phone for street nav, it's no big deal to put the screen to sleep during the longer stretches of road between turns. No sense in having it on when the next turn is an hour away, lol. :)

I've had my Garmin overheat and shut down as well, it's not just a phone thing. If it's a persistent issue, try relocating the phone so it gets more airflow.
    JagLite and Eatmore Mudd like this.