Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RAM $16 e-bay

K mount.jpg
  2. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one of those on both my bikes and they're the best. Had the X-mount, but no comparison, IMHO.
    Laconic and Sonny S. like this.
  3. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks. That was what I thought and what I’ll get. Didn’t know if it would fit, but now I do!
  4. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    That's what I have too.
    BTW, anyone using their DF as an action cam? My DFP can peep through the slot in the extension of this mount although it is somewhat constricted.
  5. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have used my DF as an action cam but on my list of "things to do" is take my Dremel tool after that slot and open it up for the camera.
    WECSOG and Davidprej like this.
  6. yamyam

yamyam Rallye of Tunisia

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I bought my Duraforce this week and I'm waiting like a kid before christmast! I'm in the same boat and I need someting better than my gps. I past rapidly all the pages of this thread and I would like a feedback of guys who installed and electrical power to your phone. Is't better with the go pro remote connection, the small spring pins or the wireless way? With the connection system at the back of the cell, the pins touching is't creating wear on the contacts? I'm Thanks Eric
  7. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Eric, some of us are just using the Wasken magnetic cable. Couple guys here have even left it plugged in while riding in the rain! Regardless, you can still get several hours of use off a fully-charged phone, so just plug it iñ when needed. Too many folks are stressing over the charging part. :)
    Sonny S., Davidprej and JagLite like this.
  8. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    Yeah, I've thought about doing that too.
    Davidprej likes this.
  9. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Good to know I'm not alone. I have mine sitting behind the windscreen on my 15 GS. Thought it would get enough air flow from the lower part. Might just move it to be more in the wind, though with the temps we're getting I'm not sure much can help. At least it seems to react to that.
  10. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Got the Dremel after the mount today, went slow so spent almost 10 minutes opening up the slot the camera looks through. Looks like it will work really well.

WECSOG and Davidprej like this.
  11. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Love those blue pipes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    When you mount it at a suitable angle where it can see the road ahead, you can hardly see the screen. I guess it would work for occasional use.
    WECSOG likes this.
  12. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Exactly, on a ram ball mount it is very easy to reposition it so the camera is looking wherever you want. Don't use it all that much so doesn't really take away from using it for navigation.

WECSOG likes this.
  13. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I have an action cam for stuff on the bike, but the pro does a pretty good job as an action cam
    Screenshot_20190731-050726.png
    JagLite, Davidprej and WECSOG like this.
  14. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I tested accuracy on the df pro. I ran the same (fairly quick) trail forwards and backwards to compare the tracks. The purple is to obscure the area even more than the huge map offset I put on it, and protect the single track ;-)

The blue and green are the tracks. In the red circled area +/-23 feet was reported (the worst of the day), the rest of the tracks were +/- 9feet and directly on top of each other. This was under heavy tree cover with an average speed of 12 mph with peaks of 20...

Pretty dang good.

Screenshot_20190731-051933_1_1.png Screenshot_20190731-051754_1.png
    Albie, JagLite and Davidprej like this.
  15. schrod

schrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't comment on wearing the contacts, What I did find though is charging through the back contacts is slow. It charges fine but with the screen on and nav running it will slowly discharge (~15%/hr). If you can live with that it was super convenient, I can't so I went to one of the magnetic cables.
  16. yamyam

yamyam Rallye of Tunisia

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your feedback. I'll do some trials and see what is the best for me.
  17. dr350maniac

dr350maniac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't think it would fit either, which according to the dimensions of the mount and the phone, it won't, but with enough people using it, and seeing it in Baddandy's mount, it fits, so I ordered one.
    It's probably waiting on my porch, along with the phone. I'm still on vacation.
    Dread likes this.
  18. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my phone and I've been playing with it setting it up. Now I need to get that mount!
    ohgood likes this.
  19. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went a little secure mount overkill. Added a few strips of Velcro and a 6" lanyard. The Velcro has a side benefit of giving a 1/16" of space on the entire underside of the phone while still allowing full grip.

Velcro.jpg Gap.jpg Cradle.jpg
    JagLite and Dread like this.
  20. yamyam

yamyam Rallye of Tunisia

Oddometer:
    it's a good idea the velcro! I own the same mount and it's doing great but if you installed the spring section up or down it can open when there's a big impact and the phone will be kick out! This happened to me. Now I put an elastic as a precaution. I like your velcro idea!
    JagLite likes this.