Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I've been using velcro and a lanyard for years now. it will fail after a while though so every once in a while give the phone a tug and if you start feeling it not stick as good, replace it.
    ohgood and JagLite like this.
  2. marret

marret Transient

Oddometer:
    I now have thousands of miles with my DFP on a mount charging through the ports. It is slow, can get hot, but it has worked and while the pads have marks, I did not get any wear of concern.

My earlier post about this:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/ultr...hones-my-guide.1206076/page-134#post-37518094

If you have a Qi charging phone, another option:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/ultr...hones-my-guide.1206076/page-144#post-37812402
    ohgood likes this.
  3. ethics_gradient

ethics_gradient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post! Is there an off-the-shelf cable similar to the GoPro remote I can buy for my Duraforce XD? Have one of those remote cables already from my Hero 3 Black, but unfortunately but the pins are spaced too far apart to line up with the XD's contacts.

If not (seems likely), has anyone made their own? I'd thought about it before when I found this thread last year, but at the time the only pogo pins I could find for sale were in commercial quantities. I see I can get them from Adafruit or Amazon, but not sure how I'd go about securing them. Maybe use Sugru to create a housing? I don't necessarily care if there are wires permanently grafted to this thing as it's going to be strictly on bike/dashboard duty as a GPS, so I was considering just soldering the power leads directly on to the contact, then securing it with JB Weld, Sugru, or something like that.
  4. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I mounted a Cycle Gear USB charger to both of my Husky's. I also ordered some short 90° cables, but the 2ft long one I have now wraps inside the cradle nicely.

USB.jpg USB Mount.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  5. marret

marret Transient

Oddometer:
    Luckily the GoPro remote cable worked fine for my DFP. The pins weren't exactly centered as you can see by the marks, but it was good enough. I was going to buy pogo pins and glue them in if needed...Drill a right-sized hole and glue/epoxy the pins into the back of a case I bought from amazon. I just chose a case I thought would work best on amazon. I also removed material from the sides of the case I bought. The linked post I made showed what I did.

It would be interesting to solder the power leads to the contact and then secure with JB Weld, Sugru or something similar. I don't think anyone has done that yet. If you did that you wouldn't need a phone case.
  6. dr350maniac

dr350maniac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered essentially the same USB port from Amazon last week while I was camping somewhere.
  7. Northern_Rider777

Northern_Rider777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking on eBay and I can't seem to find BaddyAndy's mount, anyone know the model name or have a link?
  8. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
  9. Northern_Rider777

Northern_Rider777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    In order to secure the pongo contacts, I used plastic bolts and nuts 5mm dia. I drilled the bolts carefully and inserted 3mm pongo pins, where cables have been soldered. It is tricky to manage to get the position of the pongo pins right.
    Cheers
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, after about 25k miles my Garmin 650T started to acting up. Randomly shuting down, restarting and displaying the battery is not Garmin (it is)...

I can replace it with a refurbished unit from Garmin for $200, but before I do that I wanted to ask few questions:

1) Can the ATT or Verizon versions of Kyocera Duraforce PRO 2 run with GPS enabled in airplane mode?
    2) Do you experience power connector/battery failures due to the vibrations?
    3) What software most of you use with the Kyocera? I have invested into USA and Canada Topo maps and City navigator for the Garmin - need to cost analyses on maps if I would switch. Need to be able load GPX tracks, edit and prepare GPS tracks, routing and good topo details - i.e. stream and Mt names, trails and logging routes

Thank you
  12. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone actually read the thread before asking a question that has been answered multiple times?
    WECSOG, ohgood and ThomasD like this.
  13. Kelsen

Kelsen n00b

Oddometer:
    I cannot tell you that; I would imagine so, but manufacturers do make changes for no sensible reason. My Duraforce Pro (Verizon version) works very well with GPS enabled in airplane mode. I can think of only one reason to get a Pro 2 rather than a Pro, and that is that the battery ("not replaceable"...) would be newer in a newer model, hence more time and use before it begins to require recharging on a shorter cycle.

RFT!!!
    Dave Kelsen
    --
    "No one gets to live or love without feeling pain, sure, but no one gets to live or love without causing pain, either." -- Kelly Sue DeConnick
  14. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Love those blue pipes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    1) Not sure about the Pro. My ATT XD can run with only the GPS on (not the cellular transciever) but my T-mobile phone usually will not (I'm convinced I have got it to do so before but can't always get it to cooperate.)
    2) Battery connection issues are very rare on the Kyocera phones. If you use a magnetic power connector (power only, swivel connector) and a bit of dielectric grease you won't have trouble with the micro USB connector either. If you use regular micro USB cables, you might (although mine survived 12,500 miles to/through/from Alaska including rough roads, dust and rain but that was on my big KTM which actually doesn't vibrate too much.)
    3) The entire thread is packed with information about software. There is a strong focus on Locus (which most seem to prefer) and Osmand but many others are discussed too.
    ohgood likes this.
  15. Kelsen

Kelsen n00b

Oddometer:
    I myself took the time to read the entire thread; but I surely don't have it memorized. It is 158 pages, after all.

RFT!!!
    Dave Kelsen
    --
    I always try to be modest; I'm very proud of that.
    Eatmore Mudd, Davidprej and JagLite like this.
  16. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't remember what I posted on any thread a few days before let alone what everyone else has posted. :fpalm
    Eatmore Mudd and Davidprej like this.
  17. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the screen auto rotate stop working on their DF? I've googled solutions but nothing fixes it. Seems like it stopped after a ride I did that was very rough so lots of vibes may have worked their way to the bars and phone, but I thought these phones were supposed to be pretty rugged and vibe resistant.
  18. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you checked your screen settings?
    ohgood likes this.
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Sounds like vibration might have taken out the gyros. These phones are toughened MIL STD 805G or better but the gyros in all phones can be killed by vibes.
  20. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Haven't heard in this forum about any problem like that with the Kyocera. Might just try turning it all the way off then back on.
    ohgood likes this.