Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Tried all the above, but looking like it's just the standard Sprint android photo Gallery app that's the problem, apparently it's been know to do this. Will try a different app.
    Laconic likes this.
  2. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up one of the $39 fleabay Sprint DFPs, loaded up Locus Pro and slapped on a cheap matte screen protector. I already had the $16 Ram mount (spring loaded curve claws) and a usb charging socket... may have to do some research on the pogo pins. I was running an older K Hydro and the DFP blows it out of the water.

Short and sweet review => Two thumbs up! :D
    Dread, ohgood and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  3. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    Ok all... i'm leaving in 2 days to ride the Continental Divide... i picked up a DF Pro off ebay... i've been reading as much as i can in this thread and over on the Locus thread. downloaded maps and locus and playing around with it at the house.

My latest issue is "no internet connection found" when i try to navigate using Locus. The maps come up and i can select my destination but it will not navigate.

Yes I'm positive the answer has already been posted in the 159 pages above but I just dont have the time to re-read them due to time constraints. Can someone point to a page in this thread or PDF manual or some other source that will help me set up the DF Pro to use offline as a navigation device?
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need an offline router. Brouter or graphopper
  5. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I used the DF Pro for a ride from West Yellowstone to La Quinta, CA. Riding through the desert, my ST1300 thermometer showed 111*. The DF Pro was shielded from the wind in full sun behind the windscreed and blacked out. Wouldn't come back until in an air conditioned house. I had the charging cord attached - when it's fully charged, does leaving it plugged in add heat? My GPS units (the "G" word) continued in the past to work under similar conditions.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. DirtRider....

Oddometer:
    Brouter installed now and downloaded the sections. Seems to be working in my office test with wifi turned off... thank you for the input! now to test outside
  7. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Love those blue pipes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    My XD has occasionally dimmed under such circumstances but it always came back fairly soon. I haven't ever tried hard to ensure it was getting cooled or staying out of the sun.
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    are you planning to follow tracks ?i really hope you are.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  9. DirtRider....

Oddometer:
    Yes we have tracks to follow... i'm just working on learning the hardware first. This is my first time using a phone as the gps without cell service. So thats what i've been doing this past week.

I'm much more adept at using the Garmin Montana and older devices for my off-road adventures... just follow the lines :-)

I'll just be the backup in case the ride leader's gps goes down. or in case i get lost... lol whichever comes first. So that's why i've been trying to get the DF Pro to work.
    ohgood likes this.
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:

cool. it sounded like you were going to try and plot routes the whole way. that would suck. it's so much better to follow known good tracks.
  11. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Love those blue pipes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    The route-plotting has been much improved recently - Still not great - but MUCH better.
  12. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Or an alternative
    Honestly..... my experience with this scenario goes like this:

1. Group ride leader emails me (usually a .gpx route) that I import or re-create in Mappite.org and save back out as a track file.
    2. Save track file in Guru.
    3. While out and about, group ride leader has to pull over and occasionally fvck with his Garmin because it has re-routed the group (usually in town traffic), all the while - I will volunteer the correct route as shown by the track on my smartphone app. Group ride leader gives me funny look in disbelief. After going in a circle, group ride leader accepts the fact that I was right. :)
    4. At the dinner table later that evening, I get to listen to group ride leader complain about the Garmin's recalcution snafus, yet continuously refusing to consider giving the smartphone a try even after witnessing it really works.

I kid you not - this happens over and over. On one ride a few years ago, we literally circled the same block three times before the leader caved in and let me take over. :)
  13. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. DirtRider....

Oddometer:
    is mappite.org easy to use? do you use Guru as your offline nav app?
  15. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Davidprej and scootertrog like this.
  16. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Mappitte.org has been the absolute easiest to use route creation program I have used. Note that it is for "on road" only, as far as I can tell. I primarily use Guru for "on road". This combo is dead-nuts reliable. For just get me from A to B routing, I really like the TomTom GO app, and the CoPilot app isn't bad either. If you have a Data plan, just stick with Google Maps for that.
    Dread likes this.
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:
    youch that sucks !

first time I've heard of one over heating.

i bet if it were in the wind i would have been OK.

i looked for operating temp specs on the pro but only found the pro2... it says 140f, but I'm skeptical of that.
  18. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer:
    I have a DF Pro and the primary reason I can’t give up my Montana is screen dimming on the DF pro. My experience has been that the primary causes of overheating are sun load on a black screen and searching for cell service. Even if I turn off cell service the screen will sometimes dim slightly to the point it’s difficult to see. I have found no way to prevent that from happening. Leaving the screen on with a lighter color back ground mostly stops a complete over heat shutdown but not the slight dimming which still makes the phone almost useless. I have 2 DF pros both do the same thing. The Montana has occasionally shut down in high heat, I think it’s only happened once and it was so hot I was about ready to shut down. I really, really like Locus. I wish I could find a phone for a daily driver and GPS that maintained a bright screen. I’ll probably never completely give up Garmin products because I like Basecamp and Garmin topo maps have a slightly better detail than the Locus maps but the John Thorn topos also have great detail ,just different from the Garmin topos. So looking at both can provide some additional information about old county roads, forest service roads, etc.
    jonz and Brtp4 like this.
  19. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Mine has shut off twice from the heat.

[​IMG]

But the heat here is pretty intense. 113 degrees today. It doesn't take all that long while stopped to make things go above 140F.

Leaving the cord in will assuredly not help with keeping the phone cooler. As will staying put. You should always consider a location where you'll get dome air flowing to the phone if you're going to be out in hot weather.
    JagLite likes this.
  20. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Just a brain fart here, but for you folks that are having issues with extraordinary heat, could you not either drop the phone in a creek or squirt some water from a bottle on it to cool it off? I'm assuming you either carry a water bottle or a camelback bladder when you ride in that kind of heat?
    jonz likes this.