Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I thought about giving it a squirt but I was so miserable and already knew where I was going so just left it alone
  2. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    What creek? Lol. I'm not wasting my water on cooling down the phone when I'm in the desert.

But it's a good point. If you can do those things then by all means. I think there are lots of things that can be done to avoid overheating. Keep the phone out of direct sunlight. Place it in a spot where it will get airflow while moving. Charge it only on an as-needed basis. keep it in airplane mode. Don't run any unnecessary background apps.

My 2 experiences with it shutting off was that I left it on the bike in direct sunlight as I was taking a break. While riding, even in this sort of heat, it has never happened but I take those extra steps to make sure that it's running as cool as it can be.
    JagLite and Davidprej like this.
  3. Laconic

Laconic Berserker Nativist

Oddometer:
    Davidprej likes this.
  4. Nostromdumbass

Nostromdumbass a duck is a fowl. a duc is often afoul of the law

Oddometer:
    MY MIND Needs DEBOGGLING! 160 pages looking for the winning recipe? I've waded deep enough into this thread that my nostrils are damp.

Im new to my location in KY and have been being lead down the single track trails by a few DS riding locals that knows them all. I can never remember how to get back to any of them.

I will have a Verizon Kyocera Duraforce pro on friday. I have no intention of installing a sim/ activating cell service.

I want to save the tracks as I am following the leaders. What app can do this off line? furkot, ad infinitum?

I also want to load existing (KAT) maps.

I would prefer to run google maps but no data service is planned. I can download for off-line use, but can google save routes when off line? Can it even (hack) function without data? Does it know the single tracks we all love to ride?

What app or apps do I need?

Do I really need any additional hardware (Brouter?) Of course I have wifi. Shouldnt that be all thats needed to 2 way transfer files?

Thanks for the indulgence, if provided. I promise to help others entering this labyrinth after I know my way around. It's only fair to repay the guidance that I know :photog I will receive
    TheRealKnobbytracks likes this.
  5. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't help you, but I feel your pain. Don't you wish someone would summarize the 160 pages into a How To manual. I'd pay $.25 for that. :thumb
    JagLite likes this.
  6. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cant give you some basics, if you have wifi you can load off line maps, maps.me or google. you can hotspot your phone.
    If the line it pick up you dont like , take the line and it will reroute to the line taken. this is speaking of google and established roads.
  7. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Nostro & David:
    It would be really easy to give out explicit instructions, if you were going to use it explicitly like the instructor. ☺️

Not being an off-roader, I'm not qualified to advise the best coarse of action. However, for on-road use, I'd very highly recommend loading the Guru Maps Pro app along with downloading any state maps that you think you might travel through. Use Mappite.org to create your trk files (road routes). I wrote a tutorial for the iPhone, but it's pretty much the same process for Android.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/galileo-pro-quick-start-guide.1166708/

I know this is a little bit of money (pizza money), but TomTom GO is a great "get me from A to B app. It looks and works just like the TomTom GPS. User interface is sweet, there's a free trial version, but good for only 50 miles or so, lol. You can also download routes into it from TomTom's "MyDrive" program. CoPilot is also a good A to B.

I'm sure the dirt bike folks will recommend Locus for the off-road ventures.

Best advice I can give is to give many of them a try - each app offers something just a little different, it won't take you long to figure out just what you need. Good thing is - all of them put together are far cheaper than any standalone GPS unit.
    ErikDK and Davidprej like this.
  8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Try the free version of Locus. I paid the small fee for the pro version and used their Lomaps but you can use other maps. I have no clue what KAT maps are. Track recording in Locus is easy. You don't need Brouter (software, not hardware) unless you want to use your phone to make .gpx files in the phone. You can use google maps when connected to a wifi source but not while riding.
  9. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree, Locus Pro if you can get past the learning curve. Ultimately the most feature-rich program.

Gaiagps (https://www.gaiagps.com/) is another option that may be easier to get started. I know a lot of hikers and mountain bikers that use this.
  10. Nostromdumbass

Nostromdumbass a duck is a fowl. a duc is often afoul of the law

Oddometer:
  11. Glenn247

Glenn247 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just built these tracks in furkot and exported as gpx

My question is why can I not view/open the file with OsmAnd on my phone?

Here is the file:

Attached Files:

12. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    I was able to open it in Guru without any problem, but it came through as a waypoint-to-waypoint route ( i.e. straight lines connecting point to point and not following the road). But this is because Guru handles gpx routes like this. If you would have exported your file as a .trk, it would have come into Guru just fine. :)

I'm not a Furkot or OSMand user, but I'm sure there's some very minor detail you've missed in your process. You are real close though... :)
  13. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    The only option is to export from Furkot as a gpx unless you pay for their membership.

So I put the file into GPS Visualizer and converted it to .gpx (which I know it already was) and the file created from that did open in OsmAnd, however, it is not very accurate as far as the tracks following the roads I selected in Furkot...

Here's the new file:

Attached Files:

14. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    So I got this file to show up in Guru but it also doesn't follow the roads well (not closely at all really)

Any idea how to get these files to show up right in OsmAnd, Guru, or Locus? I'm trying to follow this route from MI to VA to get home

Here is the one that worked in Guru but not well:

Attached Files:

15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OsmAnd just recently released an update to fix that bug.
    Yes. I have expressed my concerns with them about this. I don't like that they changed the abilities and weren't exactly clear about it.
    The problem with the free version of Furkot is that it will only export out a gpx file as a "basic gpx" and doesn't include all your actual track you wanted. That's the problem you're seeing here.
    Glenn247 likes this.
  16. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Glenn,
    Nothing against Furkot, but why don't you try creating your route, or a test section of it in Mappite.org (it's free!) and save it out as a .trk file for Guru? At this point, it would be a small triumph for you to see some kind of positive result. :) I think it's a good thing for folks new to this to get some kind of positive result rather quickly so they don't get discouraged and give up too soon.

You can always continue with the Furkot thing - that's another story. There's an excellent Furkot thread on the forum, I'm sure they can help you with specifics on that program.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mappite is my next venture since Furkot went the route they did.
  18. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

install :
    locus
    and
    brouter

start playing with locus and expect a steep learning curve. yes you can record tracks and store them, then follow them later.

and a LOT more than that.
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:

i downloaded your gpx file. it's a "route" that is only shaping points.

it's colored blue in my screenshot, the route i created from your downloaded gpx , is pink. it was created using brouter (install separately from locus) inside of locus.

i uploaded it here as a gpx. you can download it
    Screenshot_20190822-015824.png

Attached Files:

20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    ... continued....

the whole route vs track thing will bite you in the butt, as you've already found. make sure you're getting full routes each time instead of just the shaping points. shaping points let the gps device how to route, and always cause problems