Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    There are LOADS of different maps to choose from. The LoMaps, designed for Locus are vector maps but pretty detailed, including elevation data and displayed contours (which can be turned off.) There are also digital topo maps of many areas. You can also take a photo or scan of a topo, or an aerial photo, and calibrate it in Locus.

As noted, there's also the option of creating your own, either by drawing on a map and scanning it, creating a map by adding to something already out there (not through Locus) or by recording tracks when you ride something once and displaying them over the top of any other map you like.

I'm probably going to have to make my own mount as there seems to be absolutely NOTHING available for the original Galaxy Tab Active (8"), only the Active 2.
  2. n6dlh

n6dlh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking something like this. I have a KLR with the KLR dash so something like this bolted to it should work.
    I think the is the route im going to do. Being able to turn the hotpot on my phone will allow me to run my radar programs, music and whatever else.
  3. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    PM sent :-)
  4. n6dlh

n6dlh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well it looks like the Active 2 are reasonably priced in the used market and they make a powered ram mount for them.
    AugustFalcon likes this.
  5. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bought my second Kyocera phone today ( duraforce pro) I was using locus on the first one,what other apps are easy to use and import tracks to ??.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guru
    GPX Viewer Pro
    Oruxmaps
    OsmAnd
    BigFatAl likes this.
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    apn settings for att on Verizon dfpro
    Screenshot_20190917-133935.png Screenshot_20190917-133941.png
    Screenshot_20190917-133945.png Screenshot_20190917-134117.png

if you zoom in to the notification bar you can see i have 4g/lte working on this Verizon model, with an Att sim card.

it had a Verizon sim card in it when i purchased it, and i used that to get past the setup wizard that requires a sim card. my android version is 7.x

gps works in airplane mode
    accuracy is lower (4 meters) than my att device ( 3 metres) but it's fine for single track.
    Emgo and Sonny S. like this.
  8. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for getting back to me ohgood. I have a Cricket sim card and I used those apn settings. Would it work better if I used the AT&T ones you posted ?
    Eatmore Mudd and ohgood like this.
  9. TheRealKnobbytracks

TheRealKnobbytracks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went this route for my DFP and not only is it cheap but it works great. My only wish is that the arm holding the phone be longer.
    Prior to this mount, I used an RAM mount but didn't like how tall it was nor the position of the phone.
  10. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feed back. It looks like it holds the phone toward the bottom half and I was wondering if they contacted the buttons .
    they make it with short legs and longer legs.
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i just googled the APN each time I've changed cards.
    Cyclepath likes this.
  12. TheRealKnobbytracks

TheRealKnobbytracks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry Cyclepath, this is the one I have. Note that there are no leg at the bottom so you can position the phone where you need it.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072DSRF3J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I position the top left leg between the 2 buttons on the left side of the phone.
  13. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the one I was looking at is a bit different then the one you have. It also says it fits phones from 4" to 6.5" and the kyocera is only about 3and7/8"so not sure it would work.
    TheRealKnobbytracks likes this.
  14. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taking my first cross country trip Friday since switching to a duraforce xd from a garmin 60. Have the maps downloaded, and will be using locus solely for navigation and planning. Might use it for tracks just for later reference. Does recording tracks keep track of average speed, distance, time on road and such like the garmins did? Anywhere I can find that info?
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:
    if you're setting out on your first use of locus...

have you installed and used brouter for route planning ?

do you have maps installed of all the areas you plan to visit ?

i would suggest doing some short trips (as a passenger ( thanks @KMM696 ! ) to familiarize yourself. there are a lot of features and a steep learning curve.

the track recording display shows up to twelve info buttons, iirc, you just have to press the record button again to see it.
    Eatmore Mudd and MAXVERT like this.
  16. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You also need to open brouter and download the areas you want to navigate in. Won't work without doing that.
  17. KMM696

KMM696 Devout Agnostic

Oddometer:
    I went through that learning curve, and agree that it's steep and worth it. What I would recommend, (because it worked for me) is to do some short trips as a passenger so you can work with Locus without distractions like safety and not colliding with hard objects. The first couple times I tried using it were complete failures on my part. 45 minutes in the back seat and it all started to make sense.
    JagLite, cyberdos and ohgood like this.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:

edited my post, i forgot about that, thanks !
  19. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have not used brouter nor installed it. Have been using locus pro for small trips and tend to just route manually or follow tracks. Works well this far. Have all is maps loaded so should be good. What is brouter?
    WPG likes this.
  20. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Brouter is the underlying architecture to make your routing actually work. Without it, you just have a graphic map and no way to actually create routes over roads. I assume that when you say "just route manually" you're actually going in an drawing straight lines at each and every turn which is a PIA to do if you don't have Brouter or Graphopper installed.