Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Thunder Tuna

Thunder Tuna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The verizon phone I have uses Qi, which works w/ the charger I linked to.
    ohgood likes this.
  2. Eugene A

Eugene A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jeff, nice report! It saddens me that you had problems with a magnetic cable. I've had similar experience with that particular model (5 pins i believe?).
    The model i recommended was round cable with 1 fat pin, that one seems to last a lot longer. I clocked ~20000km since my last post and it still works fine! Though having extra is always a good idea.
    photo_2019-10-22_11-03-22.jpg

Btw, my DFPro is sim-locked one, no GSM at all. That doesn't stop GPS from working reliably.
    ohgood likes this.
  3. BackpackerMoto

BackpackerMoto Outcast

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Eugene. And you got it: the 5 pin model is the one that gave me some trouble. I'll have to investigate the 1 pin cable that you're using, sounds like a winner!
  4. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I have used the one-pin version for some time, including many thousands of miles and extended periods of rain, etc. It only charges the phone and has no data connection. A dab of silicone grease will help prevent any corrosion both where it plugs into the phone and where the magnetic connection mates.
  5. zeroviz

zeroviz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased a used AT&T Duraforce pro from out side of the US to use mainly as a GPS. Recently my regular phone died so I set the DFP up to use.
    All works fairly well, had to manually put in the APN settings for the network.
    HOWEVER, cannot get mobile hotspot to work. ("There is a temporary network problem that prevents the enablement of the Mobile hotspot function")
    This seems to be a legacy of AT&T. The phone is obviously unlocked but still AT&T has its claws in. Some internet research suggests that this is a hard problem to work around.
    Perhaps a Verizon phone might have been a better choice... :(
    Cyclepath likes this.
  6. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Adventurer

Oddometer:

try third party tethering/hotspot apps like foxfi... in most phones, when you try to use native hotspot , it checks to see if you have the subscription, and since you are not on AT&T postpaid, it fails.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi
  7. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    My dfp is AT&T branded just like yours and I cannot use its hotspot. I am using an app call PdaNet which is also FoxFi I think. I will never buy anything from AT&T again. The Verizon version of this this dfp allows the use of this hotspot. I do not have Wi-Fi or any internet service up here except on my cell phone so I have to use PdaNet to bypass AT&T bulshit to log on with my computer. This a pain in the ass because it does not work very well it keeps shutting you off and you have to keep logging back on. I bought the paid version PdaNet and it still did the same thing. And I cannot find any way to root this phone.
    I will soon be going back to an Asus unlocked phone
  8. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, all I can say is that I have the AT&T phone (from AT&T) and my hotspot works just fine, I use it all the time. I'd suggest contacting AT&T; go in person to a store with a service dept. if you can, I've always had better results that way.
  9. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Are you using AT&T as your service provider ? Because if you are then they allow you the use of the hotspot if you pay for it. I am on the Cricket system and if i try to use the hotspot I get a message that says go to AT&T and sign up with them. Grrrrrrrrr. This dfp was unlocked but I new nothing about it being branded by AT&T. Yes it will work with any gsm sim card but you do not get all the features unless you sign up with AT&T.
    I am going back to an unlocked and un-branded Asus Zenfone as my primary cell phone and this DFP will be just a GPS.
  10. zeroviz

zeroviz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I live outside the US and bought the phone off Ebay after reading this thread. If someone else has purchased a DFP who lives outside of the states, perhaps they could confirm which version of the phone they purchased ( AT&T, Verizon etc...) and whether mobile hotspot will work. Thanks.
  11. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went into a ATT store when I had some problems with mine and using a Straight talk sim card. The agent lied to me cause he didn't want to help me. Instead of just telling me no he would not help cause I wasn't using ATT, he lied and gave me some BS.
  12. MrMac

Oddometer:
    Sorry yes, I'm on AT&T. I misunderstood, I thought you were on AT&T as well.. The hotspot option is now with my plan but no longer 'extra'. I think they stopped doing that awhile back. Pretty sure it is included in all data plans now.
    Cyclepath likes this.
  13. MrMac

Oddometer:
    My guess is the problem with using the hotspot option is with your service provider (Cricket, Straight Talk, whatever), not AT&T. Just because the phone is sold as an AT&T version doesn't make it an AT&T phone so they have no responsibility for it's functionality. Or perhaps try the phone dealer you bought it from.
  14. zeroviz

zeroviz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't live in the US, just to be clear again.

Bought second hand from Ebay. Hotspotting is not blocked by my provider, and will work on my old phone.

Thanks Cyclepath I will look into that :)
    Cyclepath likes this.
  15. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi MrMac. I bought the phone on line as a unlocked gsm phone that was an AT&T phone. It is somehow branded as an AT&T phone and can not be changed according to an AT&T store and the geek squad so I do not think it is my provider. When I try to use the hotspot without PDAnet I get a message that says log into your AT$T account and sign up for hot spot usage. That pretty much tells me AT&T has mucked up this phone.

I have tried a lot of different apn's and nothing works. So it must somehow be built into the system or whatever. Maybe if I could actually find someone that knew what they were talking about they could help ???
  16. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    You would think that "Data is data!" However, all cell phones have a way of communicating to the service provider when the data is used for the hotspot feature. The service provider can choose to block access. ...or charge extra to enable you to actually use data you already paid for - Grrrrr!
    MrMac likes this.
  17. Bzy

Bzy n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m in Australia and have a Verizon DF pro using a local sim. Unfortunately it has the same hotspot problem. Couldn’t find a way to get past the error message.
  18. zeroviz

zeroviz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have just installed Pdanet as suggested by Cyclepath. And.................its working! Have successfully created a wifi hotspot and using my iPad to access the internet. I'm just using the free version and its working ok so far. It does seem that if there is no activity for a few minutes then you need to refresh or connect again. Also there is a countdown timer from 120 seconds but this doesn't seem to correlate exactly to when you get chucked off. Clicking on the button does seem to reset it without disconnecting.
    I'll see how I go with the free version and will probably pay for the full version if this works out ok.

I prefer to use my iPad mini for most internet stuff rather than dicking around with a phone, turning the display timer off etc, and its much easier to see maps and read so using a hotspot is vey useful.

Thanks Cyclepath for the info.
  19. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Glad it's working for you :-) I also am using the free version and I find that by using the bluetooth option it stays logged on longer. It's kinda goofy because sometimes it stays logged on for hrs and other times it kicks me off in 10 minutes but it's easy to just log back on. The wifi option doesn't work for me as it keeps logging off and then back on in rapid succession . I paid for the full version and the wifi option still did the same thing. I gave them a bad review and said I wanted my money back. This was just in the review and then I got a notice from google pay that my money had been refunded .

I also have a Nomu cell phone with no sim card and I installed pdanet to it using my girlfriends wifi connection. So now if I need to download something on the Nomu or send something to the cloud I use pdanet on my Kyocera phone and then on my Nomu I click on "connect to a pdanet hotspot" and the Nomu connects to my Kyocera.
  20. zeroviz

zeroviz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After using this phone for a day, in spite of disabling as much of the bloatware as I dare, finally (I think) turning off the incessant notifications telling me I had no service or "did I want to turn off data roaming?".....I'm not sure I want to use this as my daily phone. Last phone was a Moto G2 with a relatively uncluttered version of Android.
    I'll keep using it for a while, but its likely going to be relegated to its original purpose as a GPS.