Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    So no sensitivity setting, just the on/off slider.
  2. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    Put a new battery in the old DF 6560 today. Cripes was that a pain in the ass. But I managed to get it back together without breaking anything. so that's a plus.
    ohgood likes this.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

goto gsmarena.com and you can compare them side by side
    Pete Behn likes this.
  4. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    If I were to do it all over, I'd get the Duraforce Pro 2. I prefer all the buttons to be on the tap-screen, I have a habit of accidently hitting the camera key.... a lot. :(
    Eatmore Mudd and Pete Behn like this.
  5. Pete Behn

Pete Behn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. I like that comparison site.
  6. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Well, my bad. Took another look at the instruction manuals and the Pro2 does indeed have a camera button on the lower-right side, just like the Pro. So seeing this, it wouldn't matter to me. Looks like the Pro2 could be a little faster with the later chip, but I'd doubt GPS users would notice the difference. The internal memory is also more for the Pro2, then again most of us will just pop an SD card in the unit and go. Check out Swappa.com for purchasing use phones - great site.
    Pete Behn likes this.
  7. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    From what I read on the Pro2, the camera button is assignable, but also can be disabled. Unlike the Pro.
    Pete Behn likes this.
  8. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled on this thread. I've got an old Sonim XP7 and wonder what how it would work as a GPS device?

4 years ago or so it was a "middle of the road" performer. I stopped using it as a phone a couple years ago as it couldn't keep up with the the updated apps requiring more and more speed. Though it's HUGE for a phone, I don't think volume wise it's much bigger than a GPSMap 64 and it does have a 4" screen. The battery life is easily triple any other phone I have and compared to the Garmin handhelds it's far more durable & waterproof.

I'm a techno dummy, but I'm thinking to make it work good as a GPS unit I need to be able to load older versions of OSM & Google maps as the RAM and processor speeds are pretty low. Is that possible? Is there a way to do that?

(Here's a torture test of the Sonim against the Kyocera, Galaxy Active & Cat phones)

the XP7 had 1GB of RAM, an Adreno 305 GPU and a Snapdragon 400 chiP
    Davidprej likes this.
  9. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here we go ... after my initial read and thanks to the creators / contributors to this thread, finally purchased a Kyocera Dura Pro to use as a dedicated GPS.
    Verizon unlocked version, 9 out of 10 shape and came only with charging cable.
    Next steps learn (android a bit), look at the charging options and see what kind of navigation apps will be installed. Also most convenient way to mount it. Need to be able to use it in the US, Europe and South America; mostly normal highways and some off road.
    :-)
    Kyocera.jpg
    BLucare, Kawidad and ohgood like this.
  10. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Both my charging ports have now been replaced, by me. Both are working properly, amazingly. Not to difficult a job either. So for $30 each they're fixed and functioning!
  11. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it'll be fine for a GPS.
    I ran an xp7 for about 2 years, about 6 months after it came out. I am a carpenter, and was not easy on it.
    It was my everyday phone, and GPS for riding like I do with all of my phones. The thing was a tank for sure.

My biggest gripe was the lack of expandable memory. If it had an SD slot, I may have kept it. (too much music and maps, 1st world problems)

I've moved on to the Duraforce Pro like many others this thread. Cheaper, better hardware, software, and a better camera.

I do miss that battery though. Was nice not even thinking about charging for 2 days.
  12. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    squeese please from hondo garage
    The Patagonia Kid likes this.
  13. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I found the stats for my phone: It has a 1.2Ghz processor, 1GB Ram and 16GB internal memory which in the day was plenty for OSM Maps and Google Maps but it seems that both of those apps have added lots of features I don't want/need resulting in running very slow on the XP7's "brain." Is there a way to get the older, less complicated versions of those maps?
  14. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    If by OSM Maps you mean OSMAnd, yes their website has all the main versions back to version 0.6 in 2011! I suggest you probably don't need to go that far.
    http://osmand.net/downloads
  15. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great detailed project. Thanks for the contribution / ideas.
  16. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    This weekend I was able to test the DF6560 on a road trip from the Twin Cities to Wisconsin Dells. My wife was driving, so I was able to compare Osmand to her Garmin Nuvi. It worked very well. One interesting thing, is at the beginning of the trip, the ETA was significantly different - 15-20 minutes with the Garmin having the earlier arrival time. As the trip went on, Osmand kept adjusting closer to the Garmin ETA.

The 6560, even with a new battery, and even with the cell radio off, really sucked up the battery life (I intentionally didn't have it plugged in as I wanted to test that) In the three hour or so drive, it was dead at the end of the trip. Also, despite what I said in an earlier post, my Google Fi data card didn't work in the 6560. It shows bars, but apparently Fi requires Android 7 or above.

So of course I found an absolutely mint DF Pro on ebay for $79 and ordered it. I set it up today, and it works perfectly. This thing looks brand new. My Fi data card activated just fine, so I'll be playing with this going forward. I may sell the 6560 or relegate it to ATV use. I'm also selling my Blackview 8000 rugged, which I was going to use for this purpose - the Kyocera is just an all around nicer unit.
  17. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Garmin GPS’ “learn” how fast you typically drive on different classes of road. Also, depending on the model, that may have some real time data on traffic conditions. This is all used to calculate a (usually) remarkably accurate ETA. AFAIK, Osmand has no such capability and, even if it did, would need to learn your typical driving speeds to give an accurate time to destination.
    AugustFalcon likes this.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:

Google <application name/version>+ apk+ download.... you'll find lots of hosts with older apps. normally the application developers site is the safest/easiest
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    if you're driving on roads, just use Google maps. you'll get traffic avoidances that way, and all the poi's are current also
    Davidprej and PineLaneRider like this.
  20. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    After looking around and reading a fair bit of this thread I also took the leap and picked up a used Verizon DF Pro. I found one on eBay that was a little thin on the description, but did offer a full refund if not satisfied. Once it arrived, it was mint. Super stoked, plus the screen size and brightness, which has caused most of my concerns with the previous phones and GPS unit seems to be solved. (Old eyes)

I've tried several Garmin units, several TomTom units, and an old Galaxy s5, and none of them worked in terms of visibility.

I've played with several different mapping apps, and for now, I have say OSMand is the best for my purposes.

Thanks to all who've contributed and especially to the OP for doing the original research. :super