Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going from Point A to Point B, agree that Google Maps is all you need. But you can't do custom routes in Google maps. And by 'custom' I mean dragging and dropping the route between point A and B. It seems to me that all you can do to customize a Google route is put in as many stops as you can, but it determines the route between the stops. You can drag and drop all you want, but when you send the route to your phone, it recalculates the route, ignoring your customization.

This is why I use RidewithGPS.
    Got_Carbs? likes this.
  2. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't try to use Google Maps for planning and saving a route before I need it, but it does work OK for picking specific roads. I've not had Google Maps recalculate the route once I've added stops to force the route onto my preferred roads, but I build the route as needed on my phone, within Maps.
    Got_Carbs? and Davidprej like this.
  3. Davidprej

Oddometer:
    Yes, to be clear, my experience is that Google Maps will hit all the stops you plan into your route, but it calculates the route to get between Points A, B, C, and D. And I'm doing the dragging and dropping of the route on my computer and sending to my phone. Is there a way to drag and drop a route on the phone?

With RidewithGPS (and I assume other apps), I can plan my route on my PC and all the dragging and dropping of the route that I do to customize it is preserved when it is sent to the phone app for navigation.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    import any route/track to Google My Maps and you can then view your pre determined tracks in the regular Google maps.
    Davidprej and Got_Carbs? like this.
  5. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, Google Maps on the phone does not provide drag-n-drop, but I can add points as needed to force the route to my preferred roads. Again, I'm not attempting to save a route for future use, or to transfer a route between devices, so there is no recalculation. I build the route as needed, and follow it.

Pick a destination, let Maps find a basic route, "Add Stop" from 3-dot menu, tap the map, tap the magnifying glass, tap "Choose on map", zoom/move map to put the pin on the preferred road, tap "OK", and the modified route is displayed. Add more stops and re-order the stops as needed until Maps has no other choice but to use exactly the roads you want.

It's not elegant, but it is still a custom route built with a free app. I've used this method for 500 mile days with sightseeing stops , and also locally for multi-store shopping trips when I want the stops in an efficient order and avoid known traffic holdups.

Experimenting briefly with pre-planning a route on my PC with Google Maps using drag-n-drop, and then sending it via email to my phone, I can see how there can be some re-calculation going on. Apparently the shared link includes only the stops. I seem to be able to preserve the desired routing if I manually include the drag points (white circles with a black center) in the route as stops. Given the same start, stop, and intermediate points, the same map, and the same avoidances, Maps should calculate the same route on the phone as it does on the PC. I suppose there could also be some differences if Maps sees traffic slowdowns or road closures along the route - usually a good thing. If I am pre-planning, I should have time to check the emailed route against the original and add more "stops" if needed to stay on the preferred roads. That's a pretty standard procedure for most routing programs. RidewithGPS apparently automatically includes the drag points as sort of "invisible stops".

I've not spent much time with Google MyMaps on the PC or phone. I just don't want to learn another interface. I wish Google would just combine the features of MyMaps, Maps, Waze, and Earth into one single app.
  6. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    There are a few Locus apps. What is most suitable for dualsport?
  7. Davidprej

Oddometer:
    I just dragged a route between point A and B, sent to my phone via email, then opened it in Google Maps app. It did not retain the custom route for me. [Edit - I just opened the route from my email on my PC. When it comes up on Google Maps it has my custom route, including my 'drag and drop'. So it's only when I pull it up on the phone that it doesn't preserve the custom route. Of course, the phone is the important part.]

A few years ago, they had a feature where you could plan a custom route, dragging and dropping to your hearts desire, then save it to Your Maps (or something like that). Then you'd simply pull it up on your phone (with same login) and you'd have the exact route with audio and visual turn-by-turn directions. For some unknown reason, they disabled that feature. My 'tin foil hat' theory is that Garmin paid them off, but that might not be true.

I just experimented with your method of planning a custom route on Google Maps on the phone and can see where that would be very useful. I was not aware of that method. There are occasions when I want to plan a simple route and I don't have access to a computer and I could use that method. Tks.
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ?

Locus map or Locus map pro.
  9. Nostromdumbass

Nostromdumbass a duck is a fowl. a duc is often afoul of the law

Oddometer:
    Locus Pro is the way to go off road. Biggest advantage over free Locus (to me) is ability to set screen to always on.

Google Maps? I don't bother with any other app when there's only asphalt involved.
    Davidprej and Sonny S. like this.
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    the main application to use is locus map (free) or locus map (pro) versions. there are SUPPLEMENT SIDE APPS that are used for Contacts integration, Virtual Reality, Geocaching, etc, but they only supplement. if you want to do OFFLINE ROUTE BUILDING you'll also want to install BRouter and then download the grids for areas you plan to travel. BRouter does OFFLINE ROUTE CALCULATION, otherwise Locus will default to the ONLINE ONLY services. this will change in future updates, with Locus doing all the route building itself, but hasn't happened yet.

the main reason for using Locus is it's ROUTE and WAYPOINT database. it handles thousands of miles of recorded tracks/waypoints/etc very very well. there isn't another application, on any other app or handheld, that does as good a job of it. you can literally record a track every day, from now until you're dead, and still be able to name/organize them without needing to plug it into a computer to sort/organize them.

for more street oriented mapping, osmand is normally better at it. for dualsport/off road (i don't call a 4x4 road "off road") locus does much better. for full on turn by turn CITY NAVIGATION, just use google maps. the conveniences of traffic avoidance are really hard to beat, in google maps (or waze or whatever) because of up to the minute traffic info being included.

warning: the learning curve for locus is STEEEEEEP. it's not a 'turn it on and go' application. you'll need a few days of couch and then car usage before you find it usable.
    twqqis, Davidprej and Sonny S. like this.
  11. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Using Locus, I recorded a track daily over a 30-day, 12,400-mile trip from Louisiana to Alaska and back.

Easy to start/stop recording, name and file tracks, turn them on and off for display, etc.
    Screenshot_2020-01-18-17-58-26.png Screenshot_2020-01-18-17-58-26.png
    scootertrog, Loadtoad101 and Sonny S. like this.
  12. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Inspired by this thread, after two years using a couple of Kyocera XD’s, I have now put this together.
    3E13D8D6-64CD-4E8A-B6EF-83CFB35BA286.jpeg
  13. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What holder are you using?
  14. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I found a waterproof Samsung tablet with a minor screen blemish for just $60. It’s an older model and I could not find a specific mount for it. This is a RAM Mount for a generic 10” tablet. I had to heat and bend the corners minutely to get a snug fit.

Behind the tablet I actually have two RAM balls on the dash and I made a plate to connect two RAM balls to the mount. It makes the whole thing a lot more solid. Power comes via a magnetic connector.

The whole thing, including tablet, mount and charger, cost me about $110 and a few hours’ work.
    IMG_3875.JPG

IMG_3876.JPG
    Davidprej likes this.
  15. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got a link to that tablet?
  16. NoSpam

NoSpam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to say thank you to PDX Alamo for all the info here (a lot of research, very informative) & to everyone for weighing-in and helping me turn my frustrating Garmin (redundant?) into a back-up unit. I've repurposed an old Samsung Galaxy S5 (read: free) to use as a dedicated (T&E) GPS unit, allowing me to figure out the mapping apps and what works best for me. So far, so good.

Thanks again PDX Alamo; you have saved me money and countless hours of frustration with a brilliant alternative to Garmin's over-priced garbage!
  17. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    It's a Galaxy Tab Active. I think I was just doing a Google search for "used rugged 10" tablet" or something like that. I'm really liking it so far. Trying to find a cost effective handlebar remote control for it. Have played around with a finger remote for VR, which works well but not suitable for use on the bike
    RustySpokes likes this.
  18. Davidprej

Oddometer:
    As someone who has recently had his "road to Damascus'" moment regarding ditching the GPS and using a phone, I'd be curious to know what app(s) you settled on and why. Everyone has their preference, so there's no right answer. No one of us can explore all the options (Ok, maybe Ohgood can:y0!), but the rest of us would benefit from your recent experience. Tks.
    Eatmore Mudd and Pete Behn like this.
  19. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips on Locus, OSM usage. I have started messing with the OSM a bit and will ease my way into the Locus.
  20. NoSpam

NoSpam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far, I've only downloaded the free version of OsmAnd and loaded a .gpx track file via email. The phone itself (or possibly just my ability) fought me on opening the .gpx file in OsmAnd but I got it to work after a few tries. I looked at some of the other apps referred to here but they all looked very similar, so I'm not sure what else I truly need...I'm looking for the one that works best when I have those "where the f**k am I?" moments while in the middle of nowhere. I'm not much of a cartographer, so the best stuff for me likely translates to what I find to be the easiest and most reliable to operate. (I considered the Avenza app, as recommended by a local NFS Ranger but it isn't very intuitive, in my opinion.)

Personally, I'm trying to have just one app for all my mapping & navigating needs (if that's even possible), with idea being that mastering just one app is better (for me), as opposed to being a a neophyte on several apps. I'm using some old man logic here - I don't have a ton of time left to dedicate to mastering multiple apps! :-) Once I establish what works best, I'll likely pop for a Kyocera Duraforce Pro (and immediately remove all the Garmin-dedicated/required cables from my bike!).
    seasider and Davidprej like this.