1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm using the ulefone armor x5 now. I love it. I wish it had wireless charging but for $99 from banggood, I get a faster device with a slightly larger screen. Battery life has been beyond expectations with 10 and a half hours of full brightness, running Locus map recording track the entire time.
  2. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Wow. That is fantastic.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  3. ThomasD

ThomasD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not buy an DFP on ebay.com and have it shipped to Europe? Did this with my SPRINT one to Germany. There are several sellers which offer delivery with the ebay global shipping program. This shipping rates are cheaper than USPS and you pay local customs at checkout.
    Vanilo Petrucci and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  4. raschaa

raschaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a Duraforce pro off ebay USA and use it here in Germany. You would have to make sure you get an unlocked phone....
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. ThomasD

ThomasD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only if you want to use it with SIM-card. For GPS only usage it can be locked or have „bad IMEI“ or „bad ESN“.
  6. Vanilo Petrucci

Vanilo Petrucci Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi!
    Thanks, this is helpful. I was more inclined towards the Blackview but this may swing me. They're more expensive this side of the pond though. Can't find 'em under 130€ (=145 USD). 99$ gets you the X3 over here.

Do you find the display bright enough in direct sunlight?
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  7. Vanilo Petrucci

Oddometer:
    I would rather buy locally if possible for 3 reasons:
    1. guarantee in case things go south
    2. phone set up for the EU telecom market
    3. to avoid customs and high shipping rates

But I will check it out, thanks!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  8. Vanilo Petrucci

Oddometer:
    If I could use it with my EU SIM-card, that would be swell. Just in case...
  9. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Comparing the Kyocera DFP and the X5 side by side, the DFP seems ever so slightly brighter, but I have not looked at what their nit output is. I haven't had any real issues seeing it in direct sunlight, but it's also not summer yet here. During the summer, depending on which direction I am facing, I had some issues seeing the DFP, but that's the case with any device really, even a Garmin.
    Davidprej and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  10. Olythom

Olythom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    F083EF73-E4A2-4C87-AB63-B99FA34A27E6.jpeg I posted a story in a different phone v gps thread and thought this would be a good place to share a short version.

I accidentally ran over my Kyocera Duraforce Pro phone in an asphalt parking lot with Scion Xb and it survived - 100%. Those are tire tread marks across the face of the phone! They wiped cleanly off the glass and left no marks at all.
  11. Vanilo Petrucci

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I guess bright sunlight makes any screen unreadable. Didn't know display brightness was expressed in nits. I was wondering about that, thanks! Unfortunately, it is never mentioned in the phones' specs...
  12. Vanilo Petrucci

Oddometer:
    That's impressive indeed! Is Kyocera playing in a higher league than Ulefone, hence the bigger price tag?
  13. Olythom

Olythom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I paid $75 plus tax for this lightly used phone with no SIM card. eBay purchase.
    >T
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Kyocera aimed the DF Pro at the industrial - service - construction market and hard core outdoors enthusiast market and built it accordingly.
    I have no clue about Ulefone. I wouldn't mind having one to play with.
  15. DakarBlues

DakarBlues One-everythinged man

Oddometer:
    Guys, Kyocera deserves a mouse (as in "soldiers deserve soldiers"), and Carpe Iter just came up with that controller

https://carpe-iter.com/ The controller

The Controller
    CI Control is the piece of our navigation set, which sets it apart from any other on the market.

CI Control is a BLE (BluetoothLowEnergy) programmable controller, which allows you to operate an Android device without the need to touch the screen.

On an motorcycle, ATV or a bicycle, its default position is right next to your handlebar grip, which makes it easily accessible without the need to let go off our handlebar.

[​IMG]
    7 programmable buttons (4 direction switches with center-push and 2 separate buttons); Short and long presses, i.e. 14 different commands can be preset; Customizable long press delay; Rapid-repeat function; Support for complete alpha-numeric keyboard, volume and media buttons and Android Intent broadcasts *;

Price is steep, $185
    BLucare, DCrider and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  16. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone here using Bubbler GPS with the Duraforce Pro?

I downloaded the Pro version and it does work, but the points are all ten minutes apart, regardless of what I put in the settings. I am in contact with the Bubbler GPS developer, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone has a similar problem, because it might be specific to this phone model.

Jamie
  17. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Just to update my own post, the Bubbler GPS developer got back to me (quickly) and had me reset some settings and restart the phone. After that, the app appears to be working fine.

Jamie
    Davidprej and ohgood like this.
  18. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

the few times I use location sharing, I use apps that have it baked in:
    Google maps (mainly)
    locus (occasionally)
    oruxmaps (rarely)

the reasons I use Google maps most with location sharing are
    1 I'm probably going to be doing street nav
    2 probably going to be near cities/cellular service
    3 probably need it to be REALLY EASY for the other person to use it

Google maps hits those check boxes, especially number 3, so I just do it.

I will say, it's really freaking handy when you're planning surprise parties and stuff... or timing video fly bys, or about to shoot of fireworks a mountain...
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  19. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I chose Bubbler GPS to integrate with Spotwalla. In fact, I expect that there might be full days where I won't have any internet connection. Bubbler GPS saves up your location points until you do get a connection and then sends them all at once. I don't have any need for real-time location sharing.

I do have several other apps for navigation and mapping, but I was looking for something inexpensive that would work with Spotwalla.

Jamie
    ohgood likes this.
  20. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Are you just doing it to save your routes? If so, why Spotwalla? I haven't used it in a long time but I remember the tracking intervals to be too infrequent.
    Sonny S. likes this.