Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I supposed it boils down to what you really want out of it. If it's to file away for eternity to know 'more or less' where you were at a given time, then I suppose those applications are 'ok'. If you want real accuracy, then they suck.

I used Spotwalla for a while but got tired of the lack of data recording. Compared to what my SPOT was putting out, Spotwalla was recording less than half of it. The good hing is that it was now logged forever whereas the SPOT page deletes the data after about a week. The bad thing is that Spotwalla logged it so poorly that I stopped using it.

Now, every time I finish a ride which I've tracked though Locus I just export it to my dropbox account. If I want to recover it for whatever reason I have it there. Its seldom that I do but at least they are there.

If you don't mind the privacy concerns, I'm with ohgood on the GoogleMaps timeline. I can go back almost a decade with it and takes zero effort on my part.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lag or not, Spotwalla is the best way I know to share my route mid-trip.

Are there any other/better options?
    kjbetz and ohgood like this.
  3. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used Polarsteps.com. It's been a while since I used it on a trip, so don't remember if it's real time tracking. You invite the people you want tracking your trip and then you can post pics at the end of the day. It was a private alternative to Facebook and such.
    Emgo likes this.
  4. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I share my SPOT link. But of course, that is recorded only if you actually have a SPOT.

I believe that with any phone tracker you'll need connection to the internet. In that case, since I'm already going through that trouble, I'd throw my recorded tracks into Caltopo and share that link.
  5. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I don't have a tracking device such as a Spot or InReach. I've looked into them, but cringe at the expense, so I don't plan to get one anytime soon.

In the meantime, I have experimented with tracking apps on my phone. I have both iPhone and now thanks to this thread, Android. Bubbler GPS for Android seems to be pretty solid. It does require an internet connection to send the points to Spotwalla, but you don't have to have a constant connection. The app will save your points until you do get a connection and send them all at once. That's what I plan to do. I'm frequently without cell service for long stretches, but I still want my trip to show up accurately, and at least somewhat timely.

It's another reason I'm glad I got the Duraforce Pro. There are similar apps available on the iPhone, but I've found they don't work as well, mainly due to iOS limitations. The Pro will be with me on the bike, so it'll be no problem to fire up my tracking app before any trip.

I looked at the site, though I didn't download the app. It looks like if you want to share your trip with someone, they have to also download the app. Is that correct?

Jamie
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a look at GPSLogger for Android

https://gpslogger.app/#usingthecustomurlfeature

Depending on how technical you want to get, but this is a really cool app. I use it on a few devices for home automation purposes.
  7. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe they just have to create a login account (free).
  8. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've also had good luck with bubbler/spotwalla. I give the URL to my wife before I leave on a trip and, worst case, she'll have my heading and last location when i was within reach of a cell tower.
  9. jskene

jskene Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm having problems with the touch screen responding to my leather gloves. I've tried conductive sleeves on the fingers, but these only work for a short time and are not designed for gloves and so are too tight. I've read about conductive paint, but this apparently wears off after a while.

Has anyone tried pairing the phone to a bluetooth button module like this one:

bluetooth_remote.jpeg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

There are keyboard mapping programs for game controllers that may be able to allow this button pad to be used to control GPS programs. Before examining this further I'd like to know if anyone else has done this.
  10. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
  11. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I think the above controller is set up to control only music features and that is how the phone interprets its commands. I have tried a cheap virtual reality game controller with a joystick. It does (for under $10) most of the things the $180 Carpe-Iter device does - but is not as rugged, nor waterproof, nor easy to mount on the handlebars.

One thing none of these devices do is to move the mouse cursor proportionately. It either zooms across the screen or does not move at all. The joystick of the Carpe-Iter device is still basically four micro-switches, which is a huge disappointment as the technology certainly exists to make the speed of movement proportional to the force applied - That is standard in pencil-eraser type mice and all but the cheapest gaming or remote-control joysticks.
  12. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Have you tried glove touch mode in, settings--> display--> glove touch mode, on/off ?
  13. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    The guy developing the firmware for Carpe Iter is also the developer responsible for Drive Mode Dashboard.

Here is a thread he is very active in if you would like to submit this as an enhancement to Carpe Iter.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/drive-mode-dashboard-for-android.1425433/
  14. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    It's not just a software thing, unfortunately, it requires an entirely different type of device for detecting the movement of the joystick.
  15. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I bought a Duraforce Pro 2 on eBay for $180.

55B44F47-CB26-49F0-AB8D-F957C8ED5C97.jpeg

I mainly bought it for the upgraded action camera on the back, but it’ll make a good backup to my first generation Duraforce Pro.

For anyone interested, I’ll post up my thoughts about the differences over the next few days or weeks.

Jamie
  16. Got_Carbs?

Got_Carbs? Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They took away the hardware buttons?
  17. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    First look, it seems they moved them. There are a few buttons on the side of the phone. It appears that Kyocera wanted to add some hefty speakers in place of the buttons.

I don't know if this'll be a problem or not. I'm used to an iPhone without the buttons anyway, so it's taken a bit of getting used to the physical buttons on the front of the Pro. I'll play with it a bit and report back how well the Pro 2 works compared to the Pro.

Jamie
    seasider, Bob and Got_Carbs? like this.
  18. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Got_Carbs? likes this.
  19. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can anybody recommend a good place to send my Duraforce to for charge port replacement ??.
    I watched the videos about doing it myself and I don’t feel like that’s the way for me to go.
  20. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    86B71A4D-EC0E-486D-9F1D-95E73894DAB1.png

I was wrong. The physical buttons on the side of the Pro 2 are exactly the same as the Pro. The front facing buttons are gone, and in place of them, there are soft buttons shown on the screen. It’s certainly not as good a setup as having physical buttons, though it works.

Jamie
    Eatmore Mudd and Got_Carbs? like this.