Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Thumpstart92

Thumpstart92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey PDX Alamo where and how much did your duraforce xd run you?
  2. PDX Alamo

PDX Alamo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $98 shipped , it was posted as a duraforce but the photo was an XD . The seller listed it wrong so no one bid on it :clap
    marbee40, CapeMan and Thumpstart92 like this.
  3. PDX Alamo

Oddometer:
    So how is it?
  4. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Well, I got my new DuraForce XD. Disappointed to find the screen is about as bright as my iPad Mini 4, which is not bright enough to see on a sunny day wearing sunglasses. The inability to see the iPad on sunny days is the #1 reason I wanted to try the XD . . . so, bummer. But the mounting system I'm gonna use for this phone will place it closer to my face than the iPad so it might be OK. Not sure. Gotta field test it later in the Spring after the sun comes out a little more here in the rainy Northwest.

Of course, the XD does have the glove-friendly screen which is a better alternative than carrying a stylus on a retractable reel (this one) which is what I do with the iPad (except in summer when I wear half finger gloves.) I also have a Motorola Moto X Pure (also Android with the same size screen as the XD) that I use as my personal phone and the screen on that phone is significantly brighter than the XD. But like a lot of guys, I want my cell phone in my pocket when I ride, so I bought the XD to use exclusively as a GPS. If it doesn't work for me, I'll sell it here in the FM.
    asuperstar likes this.
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

thanks for that totally honest review drone!

I'm interested in that device because of the huge battery and charging points on the back. i believe it might be a good (horror gasp!) landscape oriented device given its size and appearance of ruggedness.

if you get a chance would you please snap a picture of the xd vs your favorite sunlight viable screen sometime?

thanks dude!
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I'd like to do that some day . . .

TacomaWeather.png
    marbee40 and PDX Alamo like this.
  7. PDX Alamo

Oddometer:
    Haha I feeel your pain in the PDX
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:
    dang. i thought putting on a jacket for this mornings ride would be annoying.

going to gymkhana a little, then maybe some sumo explorin. but not rain !
  9. Bridge Builder

Bridge Builder Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have my 2nd Kyocera. I still have the first one (for sale) but replaced it when the dust cover for the charger cord came off............. I am not as adept as the OP but can vouch for everything stated that I am familiar with including the handlebar mounting that he uses. Prior to the Kyocera I used the "GZ One" from Verizon, slightly smaller but still extreme durability and military spec. I will put that one in the FM too! I do best with ready made tough phones, slimmer and far more durable than than Otter Cases which typically last me only 3-6 months while these phones never stop!!!!! the only comment I have to ad to the OP is a recommendation for screen protectors which are relatively inexpensive and replaceable. When using GPS on the bike I typically leave it plug in to keep battery level up as I am often on multi-day trips without access to charging.
    PDX Alamo likes this.
  10. White Raven

White Raven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. l appreciate information in great detail. l will follow your lead.. Thank you..
    BigEasy likes this.
  11. PDX Alamo

Oddometer:
    Happy to help. I should have a Duraforce Pro pretty soon to test out then I'll have the whole Kyocera family. I think it will be the goldiloks phone , not to big not to small ....just right.
  12. theregulator

theregulator Shut Up and Ride

Oddometer:
    Just ordered an XD. Must be cabin fever....
  13. PDX Alamo

Oddometer:
    Maybe I should have bought some Kyocera stock :doh
  14. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    The more I use my XD the more I like it.
    Somebody above said it was a tank.....They were not far off.
  15. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate

Oddometer:
    Based on this and similar threads, I just bought a Duraforce XD off eBay. Thanks to all who contributed to the discussions. I'll use the XD offline only; I always carry my iPhone for all the usual online functions.
  16. White Raven

White Raven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay. DuraForce XD can be purchased on e-bay. They are locked into american phone service... You may buy a new one from Bell Canada for $460 if buy into some shitty two year term... l think this is a Trump thing before making a career trying to make this work. On this side of boarder among deep cornering roads, Garmin will be a blessing... Remember! Our bikes may work same in usa/canada.. What we want on them may not...
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:
    is almost two years old now. i would be willing to bet that all the units on eBay are paid for, unless it says it has a bad imei.

it's normally about $12 to get an unlock code from the Internets, IF YOUR DEVICE IS EVEN LOCKED TO ATT. then you can use it on whichever carrier you like, assuming it uses the same bands /frequencies.

some sellers will even unlock it for you if you ask them too, prior to shipping.

never, ever pay retail ;-)
  18. PDX Alamo

Oddometer:
    So I got my hands on a Verizon Duraforce Pro and it's pretty fantastic. It's an upper tier device that's also ultra rugged. The other offerings from Kyocera now feel a little clunky compared to the Duraforce Pro in responsiveness and the way it feels in your hand. The speakers sound pretty good and are crazy loud. It also has a fingerprint sensor on the side switch that works extremely well. I just got it so haven't had a chance to test it out much but the screen does seem brighter than the XD and Brigadier and it has a GoPro style wide camera on the front in addition to the regular camera.

The pictures are much better than any of the other cameras Kyocera has put out but it's still not going to beat an S7 or IPhone but so far I'm impressed. It comes with an additional case with a GoPro style mount so maybe it can act double duty. Anyhow so far the faster processor and higher resolution screen are winning me over the XD even though it's a smaller screen.

Although the screen is smaller it's not by much. The XD has a 5.7 screen but has no home buttons so a 1/4 inch of the screen is dedicated to the touch screen home buttons so maybe in reality it's a 5.5 screen. I put the pro and XD side by side so the viewable area was in line.

Left to right XD 5.7 screen / Duraforce Pro 5.0. / Brigadier 4.7

[​IMG]

Viewable area

[​IMG]

XD and Pro screen to screen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pro "Action camera " case

[​IMG]

Yup it's waterproof

[​IMG]
    LM15 and DRONE like this.
  19. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I ride more aggressive than I thought for a new rider, I have lost my Moto G twice using the xgrip in combo with the rubber spidy web thing.
    marbee40 likes this.
  20. PDX Alamo

Oddometer:
    Hummm is the spring tension in the grips still good? I've never had an issue but I'm no Jimmy Lewis
    marbee40 likes this.