Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. jhat

jhat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Multiple cables, I have tried charging by the USB port as well as the charge points on the back. I get the same result.
  2. Got_Carbs?

Got_Carbs? Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume you checked for a rogue background app? Restarted the phone? Which navigation app are you using?
  3. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my own non scientific testing I have found Locus uses less battery than Osmand, so it seems that yes, the nav app can make a difference.
    Got_Carbs? likes this.
  4. Got_Carbs?

Oddometer:
    That is exactly where I was headed. I've heard of OsmAnd doing this on some devices.
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed this too
  6. jhat

jhat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is very little on the phone so I do not think there is something running in the background sucking up power. The phone has been restarted so that is not it. The two nav apps loaded are OsmAnd+ and Sygic. Sygic is what I have been using with the battery problem. I do not have cell service on the phone so I have not tried google maps or anything that requires data to run maps. I have the phone in airplane mode (Verizon model) to have the cell antenna off but the gps antenna on.

If OsmAnd is not running, wouldn’t that exclude it from being the problem?
  7. Got_Carbs?

Oddometer:
    Then I doubt it's a rogue app. Also OsmAnd shouldn't be a problem if it isn't running. Have my doubts about a bad battery too. With a bad battery the phone will usually randomly shut down (usually at low percentages like 20%) when doing something like taking a photo.
  8. markzee

markzee n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    I like the page 84 oil jug shroud. Low cost, unbreakable, and looks OK when installed
    dflow and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  9. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the replacement BV9600 today. I factory reset the one being returned and turned on the new one. I logged in to Google and everything seemed to transfer over. I checked using the diagnostics and the camera works as it should.

Like I said before, as with products made anywhere, manufacturing defects/problems can happen. I'm pleased the seller was responsive to my issues, and I got a replacement that should meet my needs.

The first big test is a planned trip to the Idaho panhandle for 3 days in early June, staying at the Gold Creek Lodge campground.
    ohgood likes this.
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    (i have two weeks of ios experience, soooooo i may be way off here)

from charging with Android and iOS devices, the battery life on iOS seems to be managed better, and charging more intelligent on iOS. i can't quantify it with numbers or graphs, but so far it arms to last longer with ios than my android devices. i have only one ios device to compare, which was new Sept 2019, vs my dfpro that was new much longer ago.

iirc the phone tells the charger hope much to send, or there is some communication at some point. maybe the dfpro doesn't think the charger or USB cords can handle higher amperage buy the ios device does ?
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    sorry, but after really mixed results with high dollar chargers and cheapo chargers, i just pick up stuff at a gas station now.

I'm not going to bash any brands of chargers/cables here, it's just what i settled on instead of paying ten times more and getting flakey results.

if your friends can suggest a good 1500mah cord/charger, go for it :-)
    Cyclepath likes this.
  12. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    @jhat How well does it charge using a wall charger?
  13. jhat

jhat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The phone is not so good even with a wall charger. If I use a “standard” phone sized wall wart and have the nav app open and the screen lit, the device will loose charge. If I use a 12 watt iPad sized wall wart, the phone will display and charge at the same time. It seems to be very power hungry which is disappointing. I have tried the same cord on the bike that I used with the iPad charger, no change in the results.

So far, my experiment with the duo force pro has been a disappointment because of this power charging issue.
  14. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    ^ I'm still betting it's a battery issue. Most of my cables and chargers are from Anker, but I've had to use other "unknown" brands on occasion and they worked fine as well. I primarily buy Anker brand stuff just because it seems to be pretty durable.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    This sounds like an issue with your particular device. You need to see what those "standard" phone sized wall warts are outputting. It will be written on the charger.

I agree this sounds like mainly an issue with your battery. I would replace the battery before jumping ship.
  16. jhat

jhat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried a couple of things. First I put it in the cradle that has charging pins for the contacts on the back of the phone again. Second the phone was at 85% charge and was at room temperature, not at cold riding temperatures typical of Wisconsin this time of year. I started the bike and am getting charge rates of above 1000 ma. I started Sygic and gave it a destination and oven with that running in the pack ground I was getting decent charge rates.

When I was riding and the phone was loosing charge despite charging off of the bike the temperatures were between 40 and 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Does this phone lower the charge rate in cooler temps? My iPhone is unaffected down into the 30’s but maybe this phone is more sensitive to charge temps.

Anyone have experience with charging the phone in cool/cold temps while using navigation with the screen active?
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've not seen this issue personally. I'm typically listening to Google Play Music, running nav/maps, while plugged in. I've only lost charge on the phone in extreme heat (over 95F), and mostly because the overheating sensor kicks in and disables all the things that would eat up the charge. At lower temps, I have not noticed any degradation of charging capabilities.
  18. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    DF XD arrived today :clap Loving it already. Trying to be more organized with it than I was with the Brigadier, making sure I have the storage better split between the SD card and internal. Figuring out how to move the Locus map and elevation data to the SD card is key.

EDIT: Anyone know why it's telling me that I only have 8.85GB of space? Shouldn't it be 16GB internal?

DOUBLE EDIT: Did some Googling. Apparently, the AT&T version comes with about 8GB of bloatware. Not sure how I Feel about that, to be honest.

Attached Files:

19. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you guys remember, I bought a Duraforce Pro 2 a few weeks back. I've been playing with it on the bike. It's running Android 9.

I did download the Car Launcher app which gives me a sort of dashboard in the correct orientation. I also have it configured to start the Car Launcher app when I connect my Bluetooth headset to the phone. That's a feature within Car Launcher itself.

Here's my question. When I plug my phone into the wall with a USB cord, the phone wakes up. Since I don't have any security features turned on, the main screen is displayed. If I connect my Bluetooth, Car Launcher comes up. But on my bike, I use a wireless charger. If I put the phone in the wireless charger, it does not wake up the phone. I'd like the phone to start up when my wireless charger starts up. And then Car Launcher will come up when I turn on my Bluetooth headset. I just can't figure out how to have the phone wake up when charging wirelessly.

Jamie
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to start down the rabbit hole that is Tasker.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm