Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well Amazon sent a picture of it on my porch. I won't be home until tonight but delivered on time
  2. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mines been sitting in the "shipping partner's" facility 30 miles from me since Friday, with USPS still awaiting item... :rolleyes:
  3. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Leepiya wireless charger does not fit the Duraforce Pro 2 well. There is just enough difference in the thickness that the corners just don't hold it well enough for me to be comfortable using it off road.
    It does fit the DFP great.
    Being as my regular cell is the DFP2 I'm not sure if I'll use the Leepiya. Often I'll just pop the DFP2 in and use that as my GPS.
    It did charge and a heads up that the ball is a tiny bit smaller than the 1" RAM. The RAM arm will not hold the Leepiya ball tight. The Leepiya arm will hold the 1" RAM ball ok.
    If I use it I'll dip the Leepiya ball in Plasti-Dip a few times and use the RAM arm.
    On the fence. We'll see.
  4. Nostromdumbass

Nostromdumbass a duck is a fowl. a duc is often afoul of the law

Oddometer:
    The Leepiya corners are also way too deep for the super model skinny iphone XR. I bought a waterproof case for it and its snugged up nicely; as secure as my DFP.

I cut some high density foam spacers for my equally skinny (no case) LG V10. It rides securely and the foam has dampening qualities noticeable in the cameras video stability against the DR650 bar vibration. Dont know if that might be a work around for the DFP2 but...
  5. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    No the DFP2 barely fits in the corner pockets. I can actually slide it off with my finger.
  6. jglock53

jglock53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I was going to post up some pics of my Hondo bar clamp with duraforce mounted but they sent me a damn toyota tacoma mount. Hopefully I get squared away quick and I will get some pics up. I appreciate all the info in this thread.
  7. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    They sent you something to mount a Toyota Tacoma on your motorcycle? That I've got to see!
  8. Nostromdumbass

Nostromdumbass a duck is a fowl. a duc is often afoul of the law

Oddometer:
    Super Skinny and twice that slippery iphone XR in a military spec case. The DFP fits atop this screen protector and leaves the anodized red border exposed. The cased XR is also a bit thicker than the DFP.

My LG V10 is almost as skinny/thin as the uncased XR and as large a rectangle as the cased XR leepiya iphone.jpg leepiya v10.jpg .
    Here it is in the Leepiya without the high density foam. Yet, the ratcheting clamp has it held worry free secure without the extra grip/cushion of that foam
    Sonny S. likes this.
  9. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, FINALLY, mine is out for delivery! So, I guess I'll be able to check it out when I get home from work today. Of course, I still need to figure out wiring the bike for it so it may take minute before I have it actually up and running...
  10. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely wire it to be on/off with the ignition. You will not want to mess with the Leepiya on/off switch.
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was planning to mate it to an ignition keyed circuit. I was originally planning to create a new accessory circuit with a 30A relay, triggered by a keyed circuit, like the headlight or whatever. But looking at the gauge of the wire and considering the low load on the charger, that's really overkill for just the mount/charger. Rummaging through some things I came across a new pack of JST connectors. Now I'm thinking I'll just splice in the female connector to the headlight circuit, and put the male end on the Leepiya power lead. Then, if I decided to use the mount on another bike I can just add another female connector to that bike's headlight wires and plug it in.

I finally received the Leepiya mount. Checking it out a little, it appears that it should work out just fine. I rather like the clamping mechanism. The bar mount and ball/arm system seems to work well. And I even like the "keyed" arm clamping knob. While it's all plastic, and doesn't feel robust enough for bashing around on an off-road bike, and would likely shatter in a hard crash off-road, that's not what I bought it for. My plan is to use it on one of my more road oriented bikes, my RE Himalayan. It may also do duty on some of my other street oriented bikes as well.. Time will tell how it lasts, and I'm yet to determine how well it'll charge. But, if it lasts, and if it'll stay ahead of my phone's power needs, I think it'll work out nicely. Especially for $30! Will try to remember to update as it gets some use....

I'm working on another low budget wireless charging mount setup for my more off-road oriented bike. If it works out, I'll post what I did, and the results. It works on the bench but still need to give it a try in real life on the bike...
    Sonny S. likes this.
  12. Deeprecon1

Deeprecon1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all, I just received my Kyocera 6790 TMoblie no SIM. The phone will be used Off cell service GPS ONLY. I have sifted through many of the pages looking for a solid app that I can track my trail riding and Kayaking the delta water ways. **Disclaimer I am old and have not used android in over 15 years. I have downloaded OSMAND from Google play as the OP on page one. Installed a 64gb microsd to store maps and pics. I do not have a handle bar mount yet, however the x grip with elastic band is where I am leaning.

Riding areas 90% off road

California
    Nevada
    Oregon
    Utah

My questions
    Software
    1. is there a updated or better app for offorad tracking? Bread crumb style .... I like to venture into the deserts of Nv BLM and would like to be able to track my routes or return back the way I entered an area. Most the time I can see my trail but there has been occasions in rocky ares where I loose my trail. I do carry a SPOT tracker as well for emergencies.

2. Has anyone found or posted a tutorial setting up the phone to run GPS only (phone specific 6790) I searched the google and duck with no luck.

3. Where are you getting your maps with marked trails ? I also fly hang gliders and we have a large data base we can pull and store flight tracks (lhttp:// www.leonardoxc.net/ about-leonardo)

Burns offroad is no longer available

Thanks for taking the time to read this ...

Terry
  13. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, Android hasn't even been around for 15 years...so not sure how you used an Android 15 years ago. ;)

1. OsmAnd will do it, but a lot of us find Locus to be the best there is.

2. If you are referring to the "GPS ONLY" setting in location, it depends on the version of Android, as they have moved it to different menus over the years.

3. Maps with marked trails? You can use GaiaGPS, On-X Offroad, AllTrails, ViewRanger...just depends on what is mapped out for your areas. Generally the maps in Locus have a good representation of marked trails. OsmAnd has an option for "off-road" theme in the map settings, and will show you a lot of stuff if someone has reported them and marked them in Open Street Maps.
  14. Deeprecon1

Deeprecon1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Your right, since my first ever device in late 2008 if i remember correctly. Again old and mind is not razor sharp.

Looks like the phone is using version 5.1.1, again re learning how to navigate this phone.

Just downloaded On-x and will give it a try. Will also download the others ..
    well my dated device OS wont work with alltrails ... so I hope the others work well

Thanks

flamingm0e likes this.
  15. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are these 2 slots in the back for charging,maybe in a special holder ??.
    image-2020-05-29-10:19:07-258.jpg
  16. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    ^Yes. Some here have purchased "pogo" pins and fabricated their own pin-holder and mounts. Somewhere out there in this world, there has to be an already-made set-up to charge these or Kyocera wouldn't have put the charging contacts there.
  17. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is. Its somewhere back in this thread.
  18. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve had 2 phones charging ports fail because of motorcycle use,the cords just wiggle and destroy the charging ports.
    Is there a way to hard wire the phone OR attach the cord into the charging port permanently so it doesn’t wiggle around and cause damage ??.
  20. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer: