Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Nostromdumbass

Nostromdumbass a duck is a fowl. a duc is often afoul of the law

Oddometer:
    ^ what he said. It charges all of my android devices as well as my Iphone.

My DPF is a Verizon model. Some posters have indicated that other providers DFP may not have the QI capability. My LGV10 was not sold with inductive charging feature. I bought a device on ebay and applied it to the battery cover. It is a copper circuit printed on acetate with an adhesive backing. It worked brilliantly for the 5 or 6 years I had that phone in service.. It still works today. Maybe this is something that would work for the non QI equipped DFP? https://www.amazon.com/sk=qi+wireless+charging+converter&ref=nb_sb_noss
    ohgood, dazzadm and gpsdualsport like this.
  2. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    so i have the leepiya charger powering the duraforce pro. i've used a few times on short jaunts, road only with a few wheelies (slippery fingers and wonky clutch/throttle interaction :) ).

the included 'ram' ball is slightly smaller than a real 'ram' ball. it still mounted ok in a ram arm. you can also wrap the ball with something to give it a little more diameter for a better fit.

i also like the fact that it has an additional USB port so that i can charge my daily phone (or other USB device) in the tank bag if i want while i'm on the go.

it feels like a pretty solid cradle. with a phone in the cradle it feels like a single solid piece of kit. the 'arms' have a little given when not in use but if they are kept closed they are less at risk of breakage.

when i first put the phone in the cradle it starts charging no problem.
    - as i'm riding i'll notice that it stops charging. if i wiggle it around it doesn't start charging again (i was thinking perhaps it's misaligned somehow).
    - if i turn off the little switch and turn it on i think it starts charging again, i think (i don't remember this clearly).
    - if i remove the phone from the cradle and put it back in starts charging every time.

it isn't a wiring issue as i installed an SAE connector on the power wire so that it can be moved between my bikes (big fan of 12v SAE connectors for all the 'electronics'). my montana/monterra's have always had no issue with the wiring on the bike and suffered no power issues.

not sure if i have a bum unit or what's going on. i'll be putting it through a more 'real-world' test in a couple of weeks.

i have looked at the other product sold by the inmate here and as others have said, it's hard to belly up to that price tag. but that's a decision each individual has to weigh for themselves. if you think about it, how many cradles are you going to buy?

if i was feeling an extra $30, i'd buy a second unit and see if i could modify it with pogo pins and a small switch to select between pogo or wireless charging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    There is a 25 watt coil that is used to provide the inductive charging capacity. These are varied in quality with the cheaper ones overheating in certain situations(some fires) because they aren't designed to a higher spec, ie more money. I know you don't want to pay for it but sometimes better quality requires it. Not knocking your premise I do this because I was tired of paying Garmin for a propertary consumer handheld that didn't really perform any better than a cellphone. I did not go the wireless charging route because of performance issues in the lower cost arena. What works for me on a KTM 950SE bouncing and banging around is a Wsken 90 degree round magnetic cable hanging off a USB adaptor and a basic USB 2.0 charger running off a switched power source from behind the headlight. It's cheap(er), extra cable and charger are readily available, easy to replace. I spent money on a well designed handlebar holder and the origional DFP is still working, charging after a year. Beats Garmin handhelds by a mile.
    ohgood, scootertrog and flamingm0e like this.
  4. George Hanson

George Hanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where's the best place to get one of these Kyocera Pros? Ebay? Does it matter which carrier it's with if I'm only using it for GPS?
  5. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Basically no it doesn't matter but: Verizon phones allow you to go to airplane mode to turn off phone service and keep gps and wifi /bluetooth still running, without having to enter secret codes.

Verizon has sapphire toughened glass, not just gorilla glass.

I got mine from ebay. Anywhere at the right price will be good.
    George Hanson and ohgood like this.
  6. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    also the verizon model supports the Qi wireless charging standard which seems to be the more adopted version.

i believe att/sprint/tmobile is the pma standard

only relevant if wireless charging is part of your use case.
    dazzadm, George Hanson and ohgood like this.
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Facebook marketplace
    Craigslist
    swappa
    eBay

Amazon is usually way over priced.

I buy a bunch of stuff from people on fb marketplace... because it's in person and you can see if the item isn't as described
    George Hanson likes this.
  8. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a list of info that I made that might be helpful a few pages back, this thread moves fast...

Also make sure you read the first page, the OP has a lot of good info there as well.
    ohgood and George Hanson like this.
  9. SofloJoe

SofloJoe n00b

Oddometer:
    I went on a 2500mile trip and had the same exact issue with my tackform mount + Galaxy S20 which i'm getting replaced now. I was thinking my s20 is too delicate and probably need to get a rugged kyocera instead. Now I'm thinking i should have sprung for a wireless charging mount. I'll give the magnetic adapter a try but maybe on another older phone. I don't want to destroy the port on a brand new expensive phone again.

My mount is a tackform.
    https://www.amazon.com/TACKFORM-Mot...2&sr=1-1-70f7c15d-07d8-466a-b325-4be35d7258cc

If anyone has any tips on retrofitting wireless charging on this mount please let me know. Or any other suggestions. Maybe even an android auto solution.

The way I use my phone, Id like my google maps and my spotify to come from the same device sending the audio to my Sena. I don't want to risk a $1000 phone to the vibrations, so i'm thinking of using an old phone and insert a prepaid sim in there for data and music and have my people use that phone number if they want to call me while im riding. Android Auto would solve all that for me and keep one phone and number.
  10. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I never had a this problem but was always careful to have a very short loop of cable from mount to charging port, usually by winding any slack around and around the mount. Also make sure the cable is not tight enough to pull sideways. These days I have eliminated the problem altogether by using a 90-degree magnetic mount. The piece inserted into the phone port is quite tight, with no room to wiggle and any unintended tugs on the cable will either twist or partially/fully disconnect the cable rather than levering the port.

Note that wireless charging is less efficient than a direct connection and creates quite a bit of heat - enough to sometimes cause issues with a phone that's also exposed to the sun.
  11. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a salient point in the post above - I remarked earlier I'd had no issues with my magnetic connector. What I DIDN'T say was that I got two in the kit I bought - a straight one for charging in the house, and a 90° version for on the bike. It reduces the leverage available to knock it off the charge port as well as keeping it tucked in away from careless bumps. I also do the "wind around" to take weight off the connection.
  12. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a Leepiya and bench testing it noticed the same thing with intermittent charging. Was going to mount it for a trip last week but decided to stick with my RAM quick grip because of that. BTW the Quick grip survived another crash test as I went about 40' off the road and down the side of a mountain and the DFP was still secure.
    10572.jpg
  13. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    A while back I posted about my magnetic cable not charging reliably AT ALL. Based on other posts I bought one from Wsken as they seemed to be reliable for others. I had the cable secured with no excess length, and with no strain on the connection. And yet, it charged VERY intermittently. Once home I discovered than even on the counter it took very little movement to interrupt the circuit. I discounted it as a poor choice for on bike charging and moved on... I'm currently working on a DIY wireless setup but haven't had a chance to test it yet. In the event this doesn't work to my satisfaction I may be willing to try the magnetic route again.

Can someone recommend a specific 90 degree magnetic cable that has proven reliable?

:ear
  14. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Topk from Amazon has worked well so far. My mount might help that being as I've got it secured between the phone and mount. tapatalk_36403118.jpg
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the setup I use. Topk with ram quick grip
    Sonny S. likes this.
  16. Nostromdumbass

Nostromdumbass a duck is a fowl. a duc is often afoul of the law

Oddometer:
    I've bought 2 brands and had great success with both. This one was used on the bike before I went wireless. I never had an issue with cable snagging and being pulled loose. Excess cable was coiled and held to the bar with a velcro strap.

I liked it so much that I bought a magnetic combo/charging and data cable for use at home. I think it is as secure but have never used it on a bike.

BTW, I have not experienced a hot phone from the wireless charger. I also have not used it during hot weather and generallly spend all my saddle time on shady back roads and trails. FWIW!
  17. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't you think that going off the side of the mountain is a little bit of over kill just to test your phone mount? :rilla
    Sonny S. likes this.
  18. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep !
  19. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    ADV fleamarket too, post a wanted ad
  20. dankly1

dankly1 Just searchin Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got a Duraforce Pro and I can't get the GPS to work. It doesn't have a SIM card installed and I can only get a position when connected to a wifi network. When I select "Device Only" as the location source, or am out of range of my wifi network, it never acquires a position. I will only be using this as an on-bike GPS and won't be activating it. Anyone have any ideas?

Phone details:
    Model - E6810
    Android version - 7.1.2
    Carrier - Verizon

Thanks!
    Alex