Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    One thing about the physical buttons vs touch screen buttons...if you ride in the rain, plan for phantom touches that can cause your phone to go back to home screen while riding. Some programs will allow you to hide them (Locus) so it can be worked around, but it is a concern.

I personally like my DFP, it does everything I need it to very competently and at a great price, and because of it's design it avoids many of the problems of adventure riding I've experienced in the past with other phones. The only thing I have to complain about it is that the screen will dim on hot days in the sun, and it's not as fast to load tiles in Locus as my other phones are.
  2. MoXoM

MoXoM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked at the Ulefone...! The armor x7 is only $129 and looks amazing..
    But an odd Chinese brand name with no real face in the USA for repairs or parts etc is a little disconcerting.
    However it does check all the boxes and then some.. dual sims etc..
    But no physical buttons..
  3. Nostromdumbass

Nostromdumbass a duck is a fowl. a duc is often afoul of the law

Oddometer:
    I made a spacer from high density foam rubber (kayak floatation foam actually) for my super skinny LG V10. It snugged up nicely! Maybe a solution for you too?
  4. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was thinking something like that. But the spacer has to somewhat hold the phone too, because the leepiya holder will only hold the spacer and not the phone itself (at the bottom). The phone is already plenty thick, but we'll see.
  5. assquatch20

assquatch20 Hosscat

Oddometer:
    Well my eBay battery for my E6810 seems to just be refurbished by some folks called Weihang. Doesn't seem to be much better than the old one and getting all the buttons to line back up along with the gasket inside was a bit tough. I think I'm gonna have to find another rugged phone, but with wireless charging there's no reason I can't keep this as a GPS.
  6. Wheedle

Wheedle I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer:
    Well... just ordered a refurb Duraforce Pro and Lepiya mount. We shall see how it goes. I had been getting more and more dissapointed with Garmin.
  7. Wheedle

Wheedle I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer:
    I installed OSMAND on my Galaxy S10 and have been playing with it. I think I will like it lot after a bit of a learning curve.
  8. Nostromdumbass

Oddometer:
    AdvNener likes this.
  9. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. MoXoM

MoXoM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked up the rugged phones you mentioned.. the Ulefone armor x7 pro seems like the best option for price point.
    Doubling power, memory etc is only $30 more than the lower older model ..
    $129 usd for an upto date indestructible GPS is worth it to me..
    No physical buttons but it’s Bluetooth 5 and uses latest GPS satellite tech. Multiple sim slots and simultaneous
    Carrier option. As we all know.. ATT and Verizon are stronger than each other in different areas.
    not that I need to have a sim in it.. but I could go to Walmart and get one for $30
    flamingm0e likes this.
  11. abandoned track

abandoned track Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you tried to order this phone? It says "Presale" on Ulefone's website. Looks like the price will go back to $149.99 at some point. The X5 is $139.99.

This phone really requires researching the details. Reading through some of the Q & A's on Amazon, a lot of conflicts of information:

- Someone said that this phone only supports 2G and 3G. Ulefone's site has an image of the 4G icon on the phone.

- Several people said that Verizon and Sprint are not supported (CDMA). Another person said Verizon was supported. An image of the phone on the Ulefone's website shows GSM and WCDMA. I do not believe WCDMA will work on Verizon's network (not sure about Sprint).

While this phone will hold 2 SIM cards, it will not hold 2 SIM cards plus a Micro SD card.
    It's either 2 SIMS, or 1 SIM + 1 Micro SD card.
  12. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leepiya charger and BV6900, continued.
    I used the rubber xgrip tether thing to hold the phone. It is a bit asymetrical : i oriented it so that the bottom of the phone was pushed a bit forward. Not using the arms of the leepiya as this will center the phone. It kinda worked.. had to "push up" the phone at times. Overall I had maybe 16h-17h of screen on during the WE and the phone ended at 80%. I see two options now:
    - using a bit of Sugru on the bottom of the phone, dismounting the leepiya to remove the useless arms (that tend to vibrate a lot when extended and not clamped on a phone)
    - using a lot of Sugru on the bottom of the phone to make it fit uncentered using the leepiya arms.
  13. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    If you dismantle the Leepiya, you can reinstall the arms asymetrically so it will hold the phone exactly where you want it.
    AdvNener likes this.
  14. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is the cheat to give 10x likes to a single answer ? :)
    Thanks a lot, will try that.
    Greg Watson likes this.
  15. Nostromdumbass

Oddometer:
    Please take photos. I'd like to see before (ill fitting phone), during (adjusting the arms) and post tweak-age pics.
    AdvNener likes this.
  16. oakcutter

oakcutter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I received my DFP and have been reading through the post, I started with a clean phone. Added my Google acct and Gaia for basic navigation around my parts. I tried to make the airplane mode disappear and the dialing sequence doesn't bring up or prompt anything. What am I doing wrong
    Seems pretty basic.screen goes blank after hitting the last asterisk. This is just a GPS phone. No sim. Thanks.
  17. Nostromdumbass

Oddometer:
    abandoned track, lvscrvs and sjc56 like this.
  18. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just received my DFP, and the battery was flat. I’ve tried three different USB cords, only one triggers the red light on the screen, but then it says ‘not charging.”

Is there a proprietary cord or something special for this phone? I’ve also tried the above cords on three different chargers, same result.
  19. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no proprietary cable.

It's just a standard micro USB cable.

Make sure you have a proper charger though. I would recommend at least a 2.1A charger
  20. oakcutter

oakcutter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Gonna look.