Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find locus perfectly fine for "on the fly" backroads navigation.
    In and around big cities with 5 lanes highway and exits everywhere.. ok a more road focused apps like copilot or good ol' gmaps are better
  2. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    CoPilot (ALK) used to be a good nav app for the USA, but there was a big update a year or so ago that really screwed it up, IMO. I think it's more Europe-centric now. I don't have a data plan, so I defer to TomTom GO for A-to-B when I navigate "by address" or POI search. If I had a data plan, then it'd be Google Maps, hands down. Guru Pro all the way for pre-planned routing (tracks).
  3. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Google maps will let you download a map area, and then you can use it offline the same way as when you are connected.

Look under your profile, choose ‘offline maps,’ and then select the area you want to download. It only does default view; it would be awesome if it would download satellite view, but it’s still fully functional for finding addresses and giving eta’s.
  4. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    I tried that, seemed a little cumbersome to me, lol. Maybe I'll give it another whirl. :)
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the offline Google Maps is not designed very well at all. I don't find it very useful for traveling, but for my local area, the offline feature works ok.
  6. MikeV42085

MikeV42085 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you JamieZ and other Gentlemen for chiming in to help me with my frustration a few posts back.
    The last few years I pretty much plan and navigate as JamieZ outlined.
    I was thinking that software and hardware had developed to a drag and drop level.
    Start with base route plan, drag/drop routes for scenic byways, Butler map route suggestions, AllTrails routes, shared routes from ADV and others and Voila! A detailed 3000 mile map. Now add in your preferences for POIs, hrs/day in saddle; camp spot criteria, etc., etc., and Voilax2!: a detailed map and schedule combo. One that doesn't go crazy recalculating when you deviate and always drops crumbs for backtrack and always works without cell signal.

Appears I was expecting too much from any one - easy to learn- device &R app.

What I attempted to describe must be the holy grail of plan/nav that all of these developers are shooting for.

Thanks again for the input and please continue. I am sure I am not the only old phart struggling and wondering if this tech is worth the effort. My bride and I traveled over most of US and Can in early 70's with Rand McNalley on the tank bag. Of course i didn't need glasses or a bag-o-pills then either

Best
    MikeV
    Cyclepath and AlfromNH like this.
  7. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's been a while since I used Locus, but won't it generate a route and let you modify it pretty easily?
  8. theregulator

theregulator Shut Up and Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are so many different ways to use navigation devices, and the beauty of Android is that there are numerous programs that focus on different aspects of navigation. A good way to describe my riding/routing style is, "I want to go from point A to point B riding the most interesting (curvy in my case) roads along the way."

I just returned from a three day exploration of the more remote parts of PA and, once again, must sing the praises of Kurviger. It's an amazing tool for putting a route together on roads I'd not otherwise find. Like Jaime Z, I typically decide where I want to go the next day. I enter the destination (including round trips if I'm setting up shop in one place for a few days), choose my options (how curvy, dirt or no dirt, avoid highways, etc.), hit enter and Kurviger generates a route.

The initial generation must be online, and Kurviger will reroute while travelling if you have a connection (I use it strictly offline). Not for serious off road travel, but it works REALLY well for my mainly on road use case. I've explored almost every state in the US and several countries in Europe and can't tell you how many times I've found myself on some amazing road that I might have found on my own, but only with LOTS of planning.

The app is reasonably priced. There is a free version, and I believe you can generate routes and tracks for download on the Kurviger website for free. Routes are shareable via QR code or url (connection required) or can be exported in several formats.

Might be worth a try if you haven't looked at it before.

sati8d, AlfromNH and Baroquenride like this.
  9. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard that before, and did not use copilot at all for more than a year. I did a road trip lately and though "well let's try to install copilot on that new phone and see what happens". Worked just like it did before, and also my account was still valid, I could download the area I had before.. all seems good.
    Didn't try to add more countries and see the cost but with all of France, Spain+Portugal, Italie, and Switzerland/Austrai/Germany, the usual suspects are covered...

So what went wrong in the US with that app?
  10. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    I have not even opened the app probably in 6 months, but last time I used it, it took several minutes load. If I recall, I could no longer download a route into it either. There were a couple other update tweaks that screwed with it as well, but like I said, it was a while ago. Perhaps they've fixed it?
  11. lkosh

lkosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have downloaded a few Gaia gpx files to my iPhone and they work well on there. When I sync my DFP to my account and open up Gaia, the app crashes basically anytime I’m in it.

Is anyone else also experiencing this with Gaia on Android?
  12. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Indeed it will, its a matter of centering to your location, dot, dot, dot, name and save.

That is a little harsh, google maps is great when "get me here now" is your priority, even better when its online (either tethered or native) and can react to traffic. Its a god-send.

I am fully retarded, and I like my powered mount, my wandering trip set up is running Locus (recording) under OsmAnd for the map engine navigation, and any deviation I call up google maps by voice and tell it were I want to go.

I can generate re-routes in either app, though I have Locus's export folder set to OsmAnds track directory which makes that a one click affair

Its quite literally tits.....but you need a relatively hot charger to make it work.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. hogmaine

hogmaine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do you do when all these apps. Osmand, locus, guru, dont list many of the roads and streets in your area. My street and some in my area are 10 years old and not on these maps. My tomtom rider does not have maps of north west maine moosehead region just disappears off screen. It is like delorme now Garmin is my only choice. Any help would be appreciated.
  14. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Open Street Maps (OSM) is a crowd sourced map set. If you can contribute these missing streets, then contribute!
  15. hogmaine

Oddometer:
    Yes I am sending in info. But it does not help me when trying to route my next trip. If there are roads that exist but are not showing on the map. I get the adventure in creating the maps in itself could be fun, but it does defeat the purpose.
  16. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just download this and did a quick address to our cottage from home and it plotted it right out after it loaded the map for CT. Very cool.
    scootertrog likes this.
  17. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you mean the roads don't even show on the maps?

Check directly on the osm website if they show there or not.
    If not i would dig a bit as why.. OSM is contributor based, but they also have tools to automatically add whatever relevant public data is available and/or agreement with official geographic agencies to use their data. I bet that's where the majority of the data comes from. Individual users correct errors/add details or the odd missing stuff here and there.
    Quick search tells me that OSM works with the Census Bureau in the USA.. something called Tiger/Line open access database...
  18. hogmaine

Oddometer:
    Yes that is correct even on the OSM website the streets and roads in my area completely do not exist, yet they are on Google, Bing, Garmin, Tomtom
  19. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is really interesting.
    According to osm wiki here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER, the TIGER data is NOT updated (for good reasons) to OSM.. they did a one shot import in 2007 and now rely on users . This is coherent with 10 years old roads not showing up.
    Maybe have a look to the US osm communities here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States#Local_OSM_US_groups and go ask active users in your area about it.
  20. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are also not-so new roads that don't show up around here too. There just aren't many OSM contributors up here.

IMHO, the worst errors are tiny gaps in long roads. A gap of an inch means a GPS won't route on that road. I've usually found these at county lines, but they can appear anywhere. Gaps are also hard to proof-read so the way to find them is to get bad routing from the GPS and then try later to find out why it's bad.

Another problem with OSM is missing or out-of-date POIs. I used to go on rides specifically to collect gas, food, and lodging POIs and could easily add 30 or 40 in an afternoon ride along US 1. It's not like US 1 is the wilderness.

I like making corrections to OSM; it feels like a good project. There are times, though, when it's overwhelming.