Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Well this is really weird you guys. about nine hours later after my nomu phone was laying on the table it all of a sudden lit up all on its own with a message that says installing the update. What the freaking hell was that all about?
  2. Nostromdumbass

Nostromdumbass a duck is a fowl. a duc is often afoul of the law

Oddometer:
    Call an exorcist....pronto
    Cyclepath likes this.
  3. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep us updated on this. I also have a NoMu phone as backup, I need to turn off auto update I think but right now it is not online so can't auto update.
  4. lkosh

lkosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a Duraforce Pro, how do I remove the charging port door? Is there a way to remove it so that I can reinstall it later?

I have a magnetic cable charging connector in it and don't want the door flapping around in the wind. Planning on filling in the gaps around the connector with some putty for my upcoming trip.
  5. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pop off the outer back cover. Remove the small screws from the back inner cover and pry it off. I replaced a defective cover on mine a while back. I can't remember how many of the screws I removed and how many I just loosened but I think it was around half of the screws on the charge port end of the cover that I actually removed, and the rest I just loosened enough to give me enough slack to pry that end of the cover up enough to replace the port cover. You'll figure that out as you go. Also be aware that most if not all of the external side buttons will fall out when you do this so pay attention so you'll see how to reinstall them once you start buttoning things back up. Watch a video or two on battery replacement and you'll get a better idea of what I'm describing.
    lkosh likes this.
  6. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well....

I am going to get a DFP for gps use on the bike, with emphasis on off-pavement use. Problem is there are so many different MODELS (6810, 6820, 6833 etc.) I am looking for suggestions/guidance. Which one?

Thanks!!
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the Verizon model is 6810. That's the cream of the crop.
    9Realms and gpsdualsport like this.
  8. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes, the Verizon version of the Kyocera E6810 is the one I use. I actually purchased a second one as a backup to my primary. Of course, this thread covers the pros and cons of the different models so rather than taking my word for it, I'd recommend reading through the thread and picking the one that most appeals to you.
  9. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Flamingm0me and Randy. I read most if this thread before going to e-bay/amazon to look. That's where the model numbers got me confused. Some of the listings are clearly Verizon phones (says Verizon on the phone) and some say Verizon/AT&T/etc in the description but Kyocera on the phone. I think I'm good now, but just saw "Swappa" as another resell option. Hope I don't fall in the rabbit hole!

Thanks again!
  10. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally I'd only purchase a phone that is identifiable as a Verizon phone. The ones that list multiple carriers most likely have, or have had at one time, different versions. Or perhaps they simply list all known carriers to maximize search hits. In either case, it's likely pot luck on what phone you'll actually receive. For the reasons discussed in this thread I chose a Verizon model so purchased both phones (from eBay) knowing that that's what I would receive.
    Oddfellow and gpsdualsport like this.
  11. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. houlster

houlster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How are you guys installing Rever? Play Store says it can't be installed on my DuraForce Pro (Android 7.1.2). I even saved the apk off my main phone and tried to sideload on the DFP and it just errs out and doesn't install.
  13. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I thought I had auto update off but I guess it got turned on somehow. (fat fingers) :-) It does not have a sim card but while I was at my g/f house it logged onto her wi/fi connection which I had set up some time ago. I guess I should have stopped the update but I thought what the hell....
    I don't like to update anything until I read about the update first.

Do you have any trouble charging your nomu ? I have one hell off a time getting any charge cord to work. Once I get one to start charging the phone you better not breath on it. ????
  14. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not related to this thread specifically, but I agree about updates! Apple tries their damnedest to force updates to my iPhone, and with ONE exception, EVERY update I've done adds nothing that I like and TONS that I don't. I ignore all updates until absolutely necessary for some reason. I hadn't update mine iPhone in quite a while, but this past week I needed to install an app that required a newer version of iOS than I was running. So, I updated... It changed so many things on my phone that I feel like throwing it in the trash! :baldy Bunch of damn tweens sitting around dreaming up silly "features" that do nothing useful....

Ok rant off.... But yeah, updates suck more times than not, in my experience.
    Sonny S. and Cyclepath like this.
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    IDK, out of curiosity I just installed Rever a bit ago. It installed without issue. I played around with it for a few minutes but I couldn't seem to figure out how to do much with it. I couldn't seem to find a setting list with much control at all. I was unable to put it in an orientation that I preferred, and it wouldn't show my location. I'm guessing it may have some cool features... :dunno But, it didn't seem to do what I want with a nav app. Or maybe you have to be a paid member for it to function correctly? In any event, in my few minutes of playing with it, I was unimpressed with the functional control menus, or better said, lack thereof. And then, while playing around trying to figure it out it suddenly just closed on it's own two times. Both times I restarted it without issue, and it would run for a while before closing again. Sorry, but just not worth my time... I'll stick to OsmAnd and if I need more I'll learn to use Locus.
  16. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi Randy. I tried Rever quite some time ago and fond the same things you have mentioned. I played around with it for a couple of weeks and then deleted it.
    Randy likes this.
  17. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I have no trouble charging mine, but the charging cable I was using had to be trimmed slightly to fit inside the port.
  18. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never have any issue with charging the Nomu. I charge my DFP with a magnetic charge cord, I have one for the Nomu I will use when I find the little plug that goes in the phone. :fpalm I know I will find it. Sure.
    In the meantime any charge cord works fine.
  19. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    the Verizon model allows for quickly hitting the "airplane mode" to turn off the cellular/wifi antennas, but still using the GPS antenna...
    the att model requires using a third party app called "radio switcher" to turn off the cellular radio and still use the GPS antenna...
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget, the Verizon model has Sapphire glass, and standard qi charging