Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yup you are right ohgood and one other thing the att phone does not let you use the hot spot. I am on the cricket network. If I use the hot spot it tells me to sign up with att. The verizon phone lets you use the hot spot. I have to use the app called PDAnet to by pass the att bulcrap. And PDAnet sucks, even the paid version keeps shutting you off ?
    ohgood likes this.
  2. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of going this route for the first time. My biggest concern is heat. This Friday, my destination will hit 103F per the forecast. It would suck to be on the road with no GPS in those conditions and with no way to know where to go next.

So what's your experience? Do some phones do better in the heat than others?

Chris
  3. CharlesH

CharlesH Support those who support you.

Oddometer:
    When I was in the badlands it got over 102F. My dfp is mounted behind my pc800 windshield but has a vent aimed right at it. Wirelessly charging on the motopowerpuck. It would be so dim due to heat I couldn't even see it. Some times it would go into emergency overheat cooling mode and that would be even harder to see. It does fine below 80F.
  4. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's kind of what I'm afraid of. The idea of a smartphone works great till you get into some extremes. I also went to the Badlands this year, and I think the temp was about 104F or maybe even a degree hotter. I was getting heat exhaustion, even though I was trying to prevent it. But the Garmin Zumo XT did fine.

Why am I looking at the smartphone GPS idea? Because the power pins on the Zumo XT have failed after 3.5 months of use. But it looks like there's no really foolproof solution in the smartphone world either.

Chris
  5. Nostromdumbass

Nostromdumbass a duck is a fowl. a duc is often afoul of the law

Oddometer:
    The DFP has a "wave on" menu option for the screen. At least the Verizon version does. I've tried it just to test the function. It works.

I've been leaving my screen set to always on and mounted in my QI charging mount. I've not experienced significant dimming. I prefer and seek out roads with a canopy cover and trails that slither through the trees. My environment (thankfully) must be much cooler than those of you with this overheating annoyance. Therefore, I cannot comment on how well this wave on feature would work for you experiencing this phenomenon, but it might be worth a try? The screen generates a big current draw and therefore...heat. Leaving it off till needed and waving to turn it on: could work?
  6. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried the wave on feature and found it unreliable. I just have mine setup so that the lock button turns the screen off but doesn't lock the phone. Then pretty much any button turns it on again. I've used this primarily to save power, but also on a couple of occasions to attempt to prevent overheating. But, as I'm most often using my GPS to follow tracks with a ton of turns, it's not practical to keep the screen off very much. I have no intention of riding when it's 100 degrees. I simply don't enjoy it when it's too deep into the 90's and didn't have the screen dimming issue until we started getting into the hotter weather of summer. Wasn't an issue in the spring when the weather was more mild.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  7. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make sure you disable all the stuff that draw power.. it adds heat too. So go to airplane mode and.. don't charge the phone if its really hot.
    All apps are not equal on CPU consumption/battery drain. Osmand is known to have issues, compared to Locus.

My blackview phone went fine in 36°C heat lately while kept at 100% by wireless charging. But the top of it in the airflow.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  8. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Interesting ... my XD continued to work normally at 106F and beyond:
    My_GPS_Mount-3.jpg
    ohgood and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  9. CharlesH

CharlesH Support those who support you.

Oddometer:
    I think it's due to wirelessly charging for me.
  10. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well - I rode with the new phone today, couldn't see the screen that well - the screen is much smaller than I thought it would be. I download Xroad for off road trails, OsmAnd and Rever to try them all. Ended up using my Waze to drive home tonight. Got to play with it more to begin to like it...
    ohgood likes this.
  11. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll go through lots of apps trying to find the perfect setup.

Try Drive Mode Dashboard. It doesn't do turn by turn yet but it's got a good contrast theme on the offline maps, and makes for a handy home launcher replacement to act as a, well, dashboard.
    sati8d likes this.
  12. twan40

twan40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So i just got a DFP and have no idea about any gps. I loaded locus free on it to see if i can use it. I dont have any problem upgrading to pro if i can use this. I want to use this from where i park my truck so i can get back to my truck. I ride mostly south jersey pines barrens into areas i dont know. I downloaded the map of my area and playing with it. I never use a gps for anything other then driving with google maps and i'm not great with computers. So what i'm looking for is how to use locus to get me back to my truck. And i did try to read hear but 256 pages is a lot. Any help would be great. or is there a better app for this like rever or something? Thanks
  13. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Park your truck.

Open the app.

Add a waypoint.

Record your track.

Ride.

When it's time to return, follow the line back, or make a new route to your waypoint
    ohgood and sati8d like this.
  14. twan40

twan40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok so I got record tracks but how do you add a waypoint? Thanks
  15. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't really need to add a waypoint if you record a track. Your truck is at the start point of the track..
    flamingm0e likes this.
  16. twan40

twan40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok got it. So just start recording. But is there a way to add a waypoint? Just trying to learn this. Thanks
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know how you have your Locus set up, so open the menu, More Functions, quick new point?

It would be best if you sat down and learned Locus and configured a dashboard for yourself and your setup.

That's true, but it's nice to have a waypoint also. Can always delete the waypoint after you finish your ride, but at least with the waypoint you can also be navigated back to it.
    AdvNener likes this.
  18. JoJo

JoJo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there any reason that a NIB "network locked" Verizon Kyocera DFP would not work on WiFi only? I have removed the SIM card, put in airplane mode, then manually turn on WiFi. It will connect to my home network, sometimes download some emails, but will eventually show the ? on the wifi icon and stop working. It will not connect to my hotspot on my iPhone. It seems there is some sort of setting or such that is blocking internet access?

Side note, I had bought a used unlocked Kyocera DFP off Fleabay, and it had the same issue. I assumed a bad phone and returned it. Figured a new one would not have issues.

Thanks for any help. I have searched but could not find anything specific to my issue.
  19. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no logical reason a network locked Verizon device can't work on Wifi. I have a buddy that can't get his DFP to connect to his iphone hotspot either. I plan on doing some troubleshooting with him this weekend to see if we can figure out why it won't connect. I have had the ? problem a few times in the past. Go into your Wifi settings, and turn off the feature that monitors the quality of the signal. I forgot what it's called exactly, but basically, if it thinks the wifi signal is weak it will try to use cell instead, and if you don't have cell, it will fail with that ?

EDIT: Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections. Make sure that is off.
  20. JoJo

JoJo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have the avoid bad WiFi connection setting off.

Another data point, I traveled this week and connected the DFP to a hotel wifi, and it seemed to work fine, but did not leave it connected for a long time. Come back home this morning to download some maps, and it will not connect. Going into Chrome and trying to go to a website, it says that you are offline.