Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a pretty elaborate network setup at home. I found that if I connected to a 2.4ghz ONLY network that it stays running just fine. If I try to connect to a 5ghz network, I get random wifi problems. Is the iPhone only supplying a 5ghz hotspot? Anyone know?
  2. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Locus Knowledge Base... https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=main
  3. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tap and hold the point on the map.
    Tap the " > " on the side of the popup.
    Tap the " i " for details.
    Tap the " + " in a shield at the bottom.
    Edit as desired, tap SAVE.

This may not be the easiest way, but should always work without modifying menus.
    twan40, Eatmore Mudd and AdvNener like this.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    pm me with your email address and I'll send you a zip you can import to locus with a bunch of settings that may help you
    Oddball, twan40 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  5. Josh69

Josh69 Uhhh

Oddometer:
    I'm going to get a rugged Android smartphone for GPS use but would like to hear how the touchscreens work with:
    - gloves
    - when wet

I've looked at the CAT and Land Rover Explore phones. They say they work when wet and with gloves. They are a bit expensive and the specs are 2 or so years behind.

I've looked at Chinese phones such as Ulefone and Doogee; they are vague on if they work with gloves. These are cheaper and have better tech specs than CAT or Land Rover while still being IP and MIL-SPEC rated.
  6. Nostromdumbass

Nostromdumbass a duck is a fowl. a duc is often afoul of the law

Oddometer:
    One of the best tips in this thread is to get a retractable lanyard and attach a touch screen stylus to it.
  7. meteorite

meteorite MoreDust

Oddometer:
    Finally. Now I can upgrade (?!) my old and trustworthy Michelin folding weatherproof paper map series. Can use them as blankets now.
  8. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought the Kyocera Pro2 and it's not going to work for me....my Samsung 9 is much bigger and waterproof too...
    Somebody interested in a phone for sale - $120 with OsmAnd, Rever and several other apps already downloaded.
  9. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless you give them your Gmail account it doesn't matter what is already downloaded on it
  10. twan40

twan40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone. I been playing around with it and starting to get the feel for it. Did the point thing and worked. That was the main part for me just to find my way back. Thanks
  11. twan40

twan40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I send me email....thanks
    ohgood likes this.
  12. Josh69

Josh69 Uhhh

Oddometer:
    Well I bought a Ulefone Armor X7 Pro rugged Android phone to try out as a navigation device. Was pretty cheap. Infact it was about 1/10th the cost of my iPhone. Will see how that goes once it arrives. I also re-mounted my Garmin Zumo 660 on the bike, but have realised it's not really what I'm looking for now due to no internet connection and an outdated map which I'd have to pay to update. It does have the collection of music I loaded on it about 8 years ago though.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. amgems

amgems Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought these https://www.glovetacts.com/ They work with a DuraForce Pro
    Josh69 and ohgood like this.
  14. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lucked out - the place off Ebay will take it back....saves me a buck 50
  15. 12Bong13

12Bong13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cannot find the answer, but I guess one of you guys will know. I live in Canada and I was wondering if I buy a phone from the us, will it work here if I only use it with wifi? I will not get a data or voice plan, as I have another phone that I keep in my pocket.
    The Kyocera will only be used for my bike.
    Thanks for the help.
  16. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It'll work fine. Doesn't matter where you are.
  17. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    What @Jamie Z said.

There are different radio protocols for phones in different places. Canada uses GSM while some US carriers use GSM and others use CDMA.

But wifi is the same everywhere. There ARE different frequencies, but they are usually adopted everywhere at about the same rate (or in populous areas first then more rural areas).

If you're getting a Kyocera, there is a difference between phones offered by different carriers. An ATT phone, for example, leaves the phone antenna turned on when in Airplane mode, so it will still use power. Verizon's phone is much handier for use as a GPS unit.
    WECSOG likes this.
  18. meteorite

meteorite MoreDust

Oddometer:
    Riders. My question. I am looking at the Ulefone Armor 8. Looks good on paper. But, will this type of phone work in remote areas. No internet, wifi or network? I am solely interested in its navigation functions. My iPhone will be the backup. A yes or no will do. Then I shall invest the time to read through this nice thread.
  19. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, the GPS and navigation functions will work with no wifi or network connection.

You will need a wifi connection at some time to load the apps and maps.

Some apps work better with no connection than others. Some will only download a limited area of maps. Some provide better routing with a connection than they do without. In spite of these limitations to some apps, other apps work great when away from data connections.

Sorry. Didn't just give only yes or no, but the answer is more nuanced than the question was.
  20. meteorite

meteorite MoreDust

Oddometer:
    Go
    Good deed mate. Accepted as intended. Many thanks.