Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. sajor

sajor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im planning to get the kyrocera duraforce for navigation/gps only, will use my android phone for everything else, how well does it do with sun glare, i currently use a Samsung throw away phone for navigation and when the sun hits it directly you cant see anything.
  2. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Duraforce Pro. The screen is bright enough in direct sun until the phone heats up and dims. When it dims it's unreadable.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    yesterday I didn't mount my dfpro properly, and rode single track. when I hopped a log I noticed it along over my bars and smack the bark buster. it was a fun part of the trail and there were fast guys behind me so I didn't stop to replace it. it bounced around for another 10-15 minutes before we exited to a gravel road and i looked down to see... no damage.

use the tether point !
  4. georgeXcore

georgeXcore Beeema 1200GS

Oddometer:
    I have the same issue with mine, which I picked up a few weeks ago. I have the DF Pro not Pro2 so this might be something I have to just deal with. I can get it to connect fine to normal wifi but can't get it to connect to my phone wifi when it's a hotspot, I can get other stuff to connect to my phone when trying. What I found is that I can tether with bluetooth and that works. However I'm nervous about how much the bluetooth tether will eat my iPhone battery which is in my pocket. I have a Sprint version of the phone with no sim installed and I don't have the avoid bad wifi setting, I looked online and it's no where it says it should be. My guess is either that setting is hidden when there is no sim installed or the Sprint tweaks hide it.

The other issue I found is with Osmand Maps and BT on, it drains the battery while plugged in. It's a rate of like 2% an hour, which is way slower than not plugged in. I think I still need to futz with what's running in the background to optimize the battery life. If there are other maps that don't eat battery like Osmand that would be cool to hear. I installed locus maps but I'm not impressed with using it for gpx tracks/routes, I tried the free version. Has anyone used the GaiaGPS maps with it? I also do a fair bit of overlanding on four wheels and I started looking at Gaia before the pandemic hit. If it's better than Osmand I'll pull the trigger the year for it.

The goal was to have something on the bars that could work as a GPS but also give me control of music playing on my comm. setup that wasn't super expensive. I have been using my iPhone for that but it's annoying having to pull it off when I get to dirt so I don't kill the image stabilizer, so the DF Pro fits that. I picked it up used for $45 on eBay which is way cheaper than a dedicated gps.
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not likely that the missing SIM is the reason it's not where you expect it. It's more likely that it's the version of Android.

I use GaiaGPS to plan stuff, and look at maps, but the interface is terrible for motorcycle riding. I pay for premium because I love the layers I get. I can't imagine it using less battery than the other apps. I have had problems for years with OsmAnd using more power than any other app though. I prefer Locus on the DFP, but some like Guru maps.
  6. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Just a thought George, if you are not impressed with Locus track and routes perhaps you need to practice with it a little more. Spend some time learning about it, it has a steep learning curve. It's 10 times better the osmand and Gaia put together.
    I have a DFP model E6820. It was an att branded phone. When mounted on my bike and plugged in and running Locus recording a track and playing music it still charges but very slowly. Just my experience. I tried osmand and gaia and hated both of them.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:

why are you using tethering with offline mapping applications ?

Osmand, locus, Gaia all work offline, and do not need wifi Bluetooth or cellular services to do their mapping duties.

Osmand is generally suited to street riding/driving.
    Gaia is generally suited to very light off road riding, and street.
    locus is the master of all things off road. it also has the steepest learning curve, the free version is missing a quite a few features from the paid version
    the best track/route/waypoint/map/kmz overlay/etc handling is in locus, but the mentioned step learning curve gets a lot of people

turn off "avoid bad wifi connections" for better wifi connectivity to tethers
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gaia is not a good offline tool in my opinion unless you download the sections you need. You can't download large chunks of maps quickly and easily like OsmAnd, Guru, or Locus.
    ohgood likes this.
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:
    thanks! I don't use it often enough, and only on iOS now. I forget how far behind the other apps are

thanks
    flamingm0e likes this.
  10. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have both iOS and Android and use Gaia, you'll quickly discover how much of a second class citizen Android is for Gaia. It's soooooo much better on iOS than it is on any Android. It's disheartening.

I think it's a great planning resource. But I can't use it for actual navigation.
  11. georgeXcore

Oddometer:
    That's a bummer about Gaia, I really like the overlays/layers they have with it. For the 4x4 I was going to have it on an iPad and I think a fair bit of people use it in the middle of no where. My main issue I had with Locus is when I "import" gpx files the routes are way off, I'll mess around with it more.
  12. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think Gaia in the 4x4 world is great. That's my preferred option.

Can you explain what you mean by the routes are way off when you import a gpx file in Locus? A GPX file is really nothing more than XML with coordinates. If your GPX is off, then it's either the GPX file fault or your selected map. I have seen tracks be off by a few feet to a few meters, but it's been really really accurate for me.
  13. georgeXcore

Oddometer:
    Here are two screen shots of the exact same gpx file, one is Locus and one is Osmand. The start point is on the east side of Raleigh but in Locus it's the southwest side of Raleigh. You an also see it's a whole different line. I've tried like three different gpx routes that I have and they all did this in Locus. I wonder if the way I'm making them is something it doesn't like. Basically I have been making them in google maps, export as .klm, then convert to gpx.

Osmand SS.png
    LocusMaps SS.png
  14. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you share the gpx file? I suspect it's the process you're using to create the track (note there is a difference between track and route).
  15. georgeXcore

Oddometer:
    I figured it out, I think the gpx file I was using was messed up. I'm going to try it this weekend, hopefully it sucks less battery. Osmand has always worked but was super clunky, even when using it on the iPhone. I'll see if this works better
    ohgood and flamingm0e like this.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:
    you don't need to convert from kml/kmz to gpx. locus can import it
  17. Tabbi

Tabbi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a question regading charging the DFP. It seems that on my KTM 625 the socket with an usb charger didn´t work propperly. I didn´t charge the phone enough while using Locus map. Maybe because of the enormes shaking of the bike the usb adapter didn´t fit perfectly and lost connection by time. Any good solution for charging the phone? It need at least 2.1 mA I know. I search a good stable "bomb offroad proofed" charging solution.
  18. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Do you have the cell phone antenna and electronics active while you're using it? Can you turn on airplane mode? Airplane mode on some DFPs will stop the cell phone electronics from using power but allow GPS use. That can make the difference between charging and discharging. In the U.S. some carriers (ATT) airplane mode turns off the GPS while others (ATT) airplane mode leaves GPS on but cell stuff off.

Do use the DFP to stream music over bluetooth?

You can also turn bluetooth, wifi, etc., off.

I'm sure you need a lot more than 2.1mA. Maybe 2.1A?

I added power to a cradle:

Overview.JPG

PortClosed.JPG

Backside.JPG
    Tabbi and raschaa like this.
  19. Tabbi

Tabbi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the same cradle and system you showed :-)

And you are right it is minimum of 2.1A lol

I turned on flymode, no wifi, bluetooth or music, just for navigation (I have no sim card in it)
    It worked fine on my GS before.

I think my little KTM shakes to much and it loose the connection via the socket (cigarette one) - the usb adapter and the USB from the cradle.

Can you show a pic where you pluged the usb plug in? thats the most interesseting part for me atm.

Hm I am thinking of a solution where I use sealed connecter from the cradle (instead of usb) to the power cable but have no clue how to solve it because I need something like a converter 12V to 5V 3A (less then 3A havent found) and a fuse between this and the battery
  20. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    I forgot to ask above if you were riding in warm conditions with direct sun on the DFP. A phone that's too warm will slow down charging to reduce heating.

The middle photo above show the USB-A plug on the phone cradle connected to an SAE-to-USB converter that's just stuck to the side of the dashboard with 3M Dual-Lock. Not all that tidy but it works and is very versatile. I can put any of a variety of connectors or converters there. It looks like the photo above shows the Battery Tender brand SAE-to-USB converter below, but I've used all three of these successfully.

SAE2USB.JPG
    Sonny S. likes this.