1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. PWMO

PWMO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know it's not feasible due to lack of a market but I would definitely buy one of these adapters if you sold them. Guessing I can make something like this by creative use of plastic epoxy. Thanks for sharing, USB Micro-B is not even close to being rugged enough for trail riding.

Used the Duraforce E6833 for 3 years of off road trail riding now and it's bullet proof except for the charging port. Battery generally lasts one entire day of riding using Locus Pro offline maps and turning everything but Location off at about 80% brightness.
    Grinnin likes this.
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Almost bulletproof charging port. Theoretically not 100% waterproof but it's never given any trouble in the rain.
    IMG_4447[1].jpg
    ohgood and PWMO like this.
  3. PWMO

PWMO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh that's a brilliant simple solution. Thanks for sharing didn't even know they made USB Micro B to magnetic charging port adapters.
  4. dflow

dflow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grinnin likes this.
  5. gpsdualsport

gpsdualsport former mid life crisis motorcycle owner

Oddometer:
    @slartidbartfast ,
    Who makes that 2 contact magnetic USB power cable?
    The magnetic adapter I'm currently using is 4 contacts for power and data connection. But the durability isn't great.
  6. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I have Wsken 2 pole, charge only. Works well.
  7. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. JoJo

JoJo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using a power "brick" or bank to charge. I use Gaia maps in offline mode, with only location active (no SIM card). I can get around 4 hours on the phone battery, then plug in the power brick to recharge while I ride. I stick the power brick in my handlebar bag with the cable sticking out. It works well for me and is a simple solution. The only thing I would change is to get a right angle power cord.
  9. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I bought a Wsken to begin with. Now have several of these on different devices and just use whatever is cheapest on eBay. They all seem to be as well made as each other.

Note, however, that there are two different styles of the round connectors. One of them has several pins and I suspect it might be less robust. Make sure you get the right style and they should all be compatible. The 90-degree connectors, as in the photo I posted seem to work best.
  10. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there a factory charging mount that uses the two pins on the back?
  11. honsfun

honsfun Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    9Realms likes this.
  13. Tabbi

Tabbi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to your replys. I orderd one of the SAE charger. another idea, I connect a 12V to 5V dc converter to battery or ignition/mass with SAE plugs. solder a SAE plug to my charging cable instead of the USB so I can connect the cradle with the converter. This can eliminate the USB connection which is a weakpoint. Should work hmm

Do I need a 15A fuse between it?
  14. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    SAE connections are great ! I have two on the bars, one switched and one to battery and one at the rear rack of the bike to battery. The one that is to ignition has the USB converter permanently hooked up and tucked away behind the headlight cowl. Connections have silicone grease in them.
    I carry a 3' SAE extension cord and can put any device in my tailbag and charge while riding, even in the rain. Can also run a small air pump or whatever off them.
    I have only used the Deltran SAE/USB converter. No issues yet. I also keep a spare on each bike.
    If that fails no problem. If a designated hard wired USB charger fails it's much more difficult to resolve.
    Grinnin likes this.
  15. MoseFitch

MoseFitch Chicken Rancher Supporter

Oddometer:
    dflow likes this.
  16. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Those have about double the stroke of the ones I used. I like that.

I wouldn't want much more travel than that since the DFP has a little sideways motion going into the Quick-Grip cradle. I'd want to avoid snagging the DFP case on the pins and bending them.
  17. Tabbi

Tabbi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you give me a link to the converter or similar one? I can´t find it :-(

I think of buying this one
    https://www.amazon.de/Adapter-Konve...rds=dcdc+wandler+12v+5v&qid=1600843918&sr=8-7

But want to replace the USB with SAE plug at my cradle and on the converter.

What is with a additonal 10 or 15A fuse?
  18. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    That's the ones i've been using for years with great sucess, I also eliminated the USB plug and solderd in a magnetic charging cable, I added a fuse before the converter
  19. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use the battery tender SAE connector that you would use for a battery tender. It comes with a 7 amp fuse. Then I use the Deltran brand " Battery Tender" plug in charger.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-...PXf2RxO64bReNIF_Na5itZVJf-0V5MwhoCOgQQAvD_BwE
  20. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Is there a "lock landscape" feature on the DFP? Or maybe it would be on Android 7.1.2 where my DFP seems to have run out of ATT updates.

All I can find is "allow rotation" which allows either portrait or landscape.

Recently it has spent more time rotating the display around and for a short time the display is totally blank instead of a rotated map. I can't use portrait on this bike because the phone would entirely cover the key.

Thanks.