Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Tabbi

Tabbi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried a chargin app like "ampere" while charging via pogo pins, QI or USB? I charge via cradle/pins atm around 600mA hm.

And do we have a sticky list with the most important content to our DFP? Would help.

I had the same problem with landscape mode.
    Haven´t found a button to lock it. Sometimes a bit annoying ;-)
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  2. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    for landscape locking i'd say either look for an app that does this for you "system wide", or use options in your gps apps to do it. Most will allow this (locus does).
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I couldn't find anything like that in OsmAnd+. I looked around for 15 minutes so it still could be someplace I didn't look.
  4. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s there, keep looking. Sorry I don’t remember where I found it a year or so ago but I have both Osmand and Locus locked in portrait. I had a choice I remember. I’m pretty sure it was in each app but I may be wrong about that, it may be a system thing.

Don’t mean to put you off but I’m doing this while taking a break from riding in the rain. Drinking coffee and looking out the window at my bike getting rained on.
  5. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    in Settings -> General Settings for each profile-> Screen Orientation
    Grinnin likes this.
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thorkracing.screentools

Help support @John@ThorkRacing and his development.

;)
    KayDubbya likes this.
  7. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right but this is for system wide screen control.
  9. dflow

dflow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have my DFP with OsmAnd+ mounted in landscape and to the fork. I found that locking the setting still allowed the screen to do 180° flips at inopportune times when turning the bars to or near max turning radius. That's when I loaded the WaveUp app and it has been locked in the desired orientation ever since.
    ohgood likes this.
  10. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Yup. Ampere. USB fast charger. Hit 2,400 ma one time.
  11. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a new/refurb Kyocera DuraForce PRO E6810 (VERIZON model from ebay).

As I am moving into it to use it with a Verizon SIM to serve me as an actual phone, I have updated the operating system up to Android 7.12 and loaded the apps I used on my previous phone.

Everything is more or less easy to figure out, but my question is, WHERE IS MY PHOTO GALLERY?

The camera works fine, but I can't find an on-board photo gallery. If I go into camera-menu-other settings, there appears to have been a button or option for STORAGE/PHONE,
    but it's grayed out and cannot be selected.

There was some kind of GOOGLE gallery icon earlier, but I may have deleted it.... I have a 64 GB Micro SD card in this phone, I really didn't need or want to somehow store my pictures in cyberspace.

What is the option or trickery to get it to snap pictures and just have a normal "GALLERY" experience for photo location and have it store them on board on the SD card?

Thanks.

I moved out of a Samsung Note 3 that I have used with great success for the last 7 years, but it maxed out at Android 5.0 and was having start-up issues, constantly trying to update and then eventually starting but it was sometimes having issues.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  12. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Download a gallery app from the Play Store.

I recommend Simple Gallery or Simple Gallery Pro
    Eatmore Mudd and 9Realms like this.
  13. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    Done!

I opted for Simple Gallery Pro. Problem resolved, many thanks :-)
    Eatmore Mudd and flamingm0e like this.
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I know this thread is about it as a GPS but it's also dang good phone with outstanding audio !! Im fairly certain your gonna like it a lot.
    9Realms likes this.
  15. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    I got moved into the new DuraForce PRO E6810 yesterday and got everything up and running, apps installed, Bluetooth headphone paired, etc. (and it makes and receives phone calls now too :D)
    Still trying to adjust to the changes in operating systems, having gone from Android 5.0 Lollipop on an old Samsung Note 3 to 7.1 Nougat on the DuraForce PRO.
    A few things are working differently that I will have to adjust to. Like getting a different car, it will take a bit to get comfortable with it.

I'm actually going to run or continue to run my old Note 3 for bike navigation until it dies.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  16. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Not totally related to the dfp but is there a better app out there for voice recognition other than Google which works like crap period half the time it won't even print out what I'm saying or I have to wait 30 or 40 seconds for it to show up. I have two dfps and an Asus and Google voice recognition does the same thing on all three phones. Just curious if anyone else is using something different because I would sure like to try it.
  17. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I can read very quickly, but no way am I going to take on 260 pages of wisdom! I’m starting from ground zero, had a Montana 600 but never used it because I hated the OS and the software. Definitely wanting to go the ruggedized Android route, whether a phone or a tablet. I have a tower, so I can easily mount a larger screen; want at least a six inch display. So, talented GPS functionality people, what would you do if you had a clean slate, no knowledge or skills that would naturally point you in a specific direction. Much thanks in advance!
  18. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm running a DFP currently, but would probably look at a Galaxy Tab Active, to get a bigger screen, and run Drivemode Dashboard as the front nav program. You import your GPX routes and PDF route sheets and away you go...
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  19. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Thanks; I’ll do some research on them. Looks like there is new tab active 3 coming, so probably some deals on the 2 I imagine.
  20. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Page 228 about 5 replies down, I made a list of interest points...