Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    one other buying option I used was to buy a refurb from Amazon. Still cheap and real easy to return if needed
    MAXVERT and Swiftdriver like this.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I bought a df pro 2 this week. going to test it a little this weekend. if it's awesome sauce I'll have a few pros for sale.
    MrMac, MAXVERT, Emgo and 1 other person like this.
  3. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Been thinking about trying a Ulephone Armor 7. The DFP has served me great, but a larger screen would be nice and since I use the device as a phone too, I think the later Android version might help some of the reception issues I've been having. I also like the fact that the Ulephone comes free without any bloat. The Armor 7 also has a whopper of a battery, I think I could probably navigate a solid day without even thinking about charging (not that it's ever been any issue just plugging in the DFP). I am still not getting about 20% of the texts that people send me, especially if there are images attached.

I know there has been a few folks here get a Ulephone. I tried using the SEARCH function on this website, but it's not directing me to the conversations except for one, which was of no help. If any of you Ulephone users see this post - I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    Oddball and ohgood like this.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps your search is not turning up anything because it's spelled Ulefone? ;)

I don't use my Ulefone as a phone, so I don't know if I can answer your questions very well, but my Armor x5 is a nice step up from the DFP. My next device is likely going to be a Oukitel WP8 pro. https://oukitel.com/pages/oukitel-wp8-pro-overview
    Oddball, scootertrog and ohgood like this.
  5. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, that Oukitel WP8 has a huge battery! When a phone has a ipx8 or 9 rating, does that also mean the screen is ultra durable, like the DFP? I didn't see mention of it, but is it also bloat-free?
    ohgood likes this.
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    The IP rating is the water/dust resistance rating (essentially)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

It does not indicate anything about the glass durability. The Verizon version of the DFP is Sapphire. There are not many other devices out there that use Sapphire, so I wouldn't expect it to be on par with that screen, but it wouldn't be far behind it as a rugged device.
    9Realms likes this.
  7. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Okay all you techies out there I have a question about my dfp model e 6820. It was a AT&t phone.
    Not sure what is going on here but when I try to make a phone call all of my cell phone bars will disappear, sometimes there is one left and it goes from 4G LTE to simply 4G. And sometimes all of the bars disappear and the 4G disappears as well. When any of this happens I cannot make a phone call. And if someone tries to call me the same thing happens on my phone but not theirs.
    This has not always been the case it seems to have started acting up within the last three or four months or so. Sometimes in other areas I can make phone calls just fine but the cellular bars strength still drops way down.
    Anybody out there have any ideas what could be going on? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  8. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    This looks good, but no option for North America? Which would you order seeing it will not be used as a phone (I assume).
  9. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worldwide other?

I can’t remember. I’ll check Ali when I get home
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Go to the apn settings and reset it. Them restart the phone. If that doesn't work I'll pay my settings for you
  11. Swiftdriver

Swiftdriver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, was about to buy an Oukitel WP6 when I came across a UK review who remarked that the GPS accuracy of the phone was really bad. There were a few others who cracked their screens apparently very easily.
    Has anyone with a WP6 got these issues?
    flamingm0e likes this.
  12. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi ohgood. I reset my APN settings and then restarted my phone and there is no change. Also after I try to make a phone call and the 4G LTE and cellular bars disappear and the phone call won't go through when I disconnect it takes a minute or two for the 4G LTE and cellular bars to come back on
    ohgood likes this.
  13. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you checked your SIM card? Try removing and re-inserting just to make sure it hasn't dislodged. If that doesn't work, a replacement might work..
  14. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Mr Mac I did remove the SIM card a while back and replace it and it didn't make any difference but I never thought about getting a replacement SIM card so I guess I should look into that and I think that oh good might be sending me some different APN numbers.
    MrMac likes this.
  15. Mcjoshin

Mcjoshin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I read the same, lots of reviews stating that the Oukitels screen broke easily or stopped working after a few weeks. The Oukitel was on sale tonight on Amazon for $139 and I *almost* picked it up. Ended up just going with a tried and true duraforce pro instead since there's so many good reviews of it. Not sure if I made the right decision lol, but the bad reviews on the Oukitel made me question it.
    Swiftdriver likes this.
  16. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the Amazon description. I have one and it works fine here in Canada but it is GSM here for the most part. As you can see, it would work with some US networks, but not all.

"....【Dual Sim 4G Global Version Network 】Ulefone Armor X5 Dual Sim 4G smartphone supports two nano card, and it can work with GSM WCDMA and LTE in most carriers such as AT&T, T-mobile, Straight Talk and Cricket&etc. But not work with CDMA Carriers.(NOT support CDMA like Straight Talk, Verizon, Sprint, Boost,US Cellular and FreedomPop). If you have any questions about the mobile phone,please feel free to let we know. PLEASE CHECK COMPATIBILITY WITH YOUR CARRIER PRIOR BEFORE PURCHASE!...."
  17. Swiftdriver

Swiftdriver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a shame. Big screen & massive battery. I'd like a screen 6.5 in or bigger so the DFP doesn't swing it for me.
    I'm glad that you dodged that bullet
    ohgood likes this.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:
    It sounds like an apn issue.
    Here is my apn for an ATT soon card in a Verizon branded phone:

Screenshot_20201103-072002.png
    Screenshot_20201103-072020.png
    Screenshot_20201103-072013.png

If that doesn't do it, you probably need a new sim card
  19. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I will have to look into these issues before I commit to a new purchase.
  20. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer: