Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi ohgood, I used the settings you gave me but my phone will not save the new settings ? I clicked on the + and edit apn and typed everything in and then clicked on save. And then rebooted my phone but they dont show up in the list of apn,s. I must be doing something wrong ????
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    hmm, i dunno. you may need to use the 'reset to default' option in the apn settings...
    but i'll bet it's a bad sim card at this point.
    which is a big pita, cause you have to visit a store to get another.
    ugh :-(
  3. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for getting back to me. I did some online research in places like the Android pit and others. Some of them are saying that some phones or carriers lock that feature so you can't change it. But that doesn't quite make any sense to me because I had three other APNs stored. Until I reset the APN back to factory specs.
    ohgood likes this.
  4. RacingEngr

RacingEngr PWR UP

Oddometer:
    I purchased the Armor X7 Pro on Amazon, new... and got a used phone in the box. Clearly used, scratched, smelled like smoke, back was worn. I think okay, no big deal, call up Amazon and they ship anther one out and I return the used one. Second box arrives and... it was used too! WTF. Called Amazon again, and they say the stock is contaminated and they can't see if phones are new or used and advise me to not buy it again. This was from the official Ulefone store. So I wouldn't recommend Amazon as the purchase location for sure. I did pull it out of the box though and compare to the phone I did ultimately buy, because if it was awesome I could get by the "used" part since it was going to get dirty right away.

I bought the Oukitel WP5 instead after the Armor fiasco. It's a huge phone, like lead brick huge and heavy. 8k battery makes it ridiculously heavy. I had to start looking at very robust phone mounts because my previous set up with a simple rubber mount on the bars would obviously not work (Perfect Squeeze in my future).

Having them both for a day or two before sending the X7 Pro back, I did set it up and run them side by side for battery, photos, and overall usage. The WP5 won hands down, and I don't think it was close. Side by side photos were the biggest difference. I wanted a GPS dashboard phone that could take better than decent photos without getting my iPhone out at every stop. The Armor X7 photos were junk. Both inside, outdoors and in low light. The WP5 is not an iPhone for sure, but it was markedly better in all conditions and at least 80-85% as good as the iPhone8. Next, overall Android operating system response also went to the WP5. Both right out of the box had Android 10 and very little bloat which is nice, but the WP5 felt smoother and faster than the X7. The X7 felt sluggish even at times and took longer to execute the same operations. Uploading photos to GPhotos for example to compare on the PC was really slow. The camera alone was enough for me to drop the X7, but add in the sluggish performance and it was a no brainer. I wiped it and boxed it back up. Also another small item, I like to run the magnetic charging cables on my phones, especially on the bike. If you get in a crash, or bump it, or hit it, the cable just pops right off. No risk to damaging the cable or charging port. The WP5 charging port cover is large enough that I can fit the small magnetic plug in and with a little modification get the rubber door to close. The X7 would have required cutting to the plastic frame to get it to fit.

I'll give the WP5 it's first real world test this weekend on an MCCCT prep ride so I can give comments after that. Someone mentioned GPS earlier, and my specific device seems to be spot on. We'll see in the trees if that's still the case. I still run my iPhone side by side for tracking on short rides when I'm not worried about battery. Probably zip tie it to the bar pad for now.

Attached Files:

5. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great review! Looking forward to the outdoor trials, specifically what you think about the screen brightness. Did you buy the Oukitel new from the Oukitel website? If so, how was that experience? Do you have experience with the DFP to compare?
    flamingm0e likes this.
  6. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... Starting to think about ditching my Duraforce XD for a WP5. :dunno
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about the WP8 for the larger screen. 6-7 inch screen seems ideal to me for a GPS.
    BLucare likes this.
  8. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Also a quick look at the Oukitel website, it appears the WP5 does not use 4G on the AT&T network, if I read that correctly. Whatever I get, needs to be AT&T compatible as it will also double-duty as my main phone.
  9. RacingEngr

RacingEngr PWR UP

Oddometer:
    Purchased from Amazon, though the Oukitel website was actually cheaper. After my X7 experience, I wanted the safety net of returns just in case. My only previous rugged phone experience was with the BLU Tank Extreme Pro, which was also a great phone. For the last 2 years I was using my old iPhone6 for navigation with Avenza Maps only. That worked out great until my throttle stuck and sent me over the bars, and my forearm in the phone... bent it basically in half. After that decided a more rugged GPS device was needed. It was in the prep plans anyway, but that incident pushed the timetable up.

In addition to brightness, I'm hoping the face unlock feature with a helmet on works.
  10. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use smart lock or Tasker to automate the unlock of the phone when it connects to Bluetooth comms or similar
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Very well done review, thank you!
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have problems with my DFP screen orientation spinning when I'm riding. The old R100GS has an inherent issue with vibration.

I have tried a few screen lock apps with limited success. But I have finally found one that works. Lock Screen Rotation allows you to select which orientation you want and even sets the lock screen to this setting as well.

I no longer have to work out which way is up each time I look at the screen.
    9Realms likes this.
  13. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lot's of reviews on Amazon of people having it fall out of their pocket and the screen shattering. Not confidence-inspiring.
  14. RacingEngr

RacingEngr PWR UP

Oddometer:
    Weekend riding done, and here in Michigan it was an unexpected perfect weekend. Almost 80 miles of single track and some connector roads was awesome.

Updated review for WP5:
    Battery life is crazy good (compared to iPhones). Went 5 days with 0 charging. I decided today to charge at 10% left, so probably could have finished out the 6th day. That included GPS screen on usage for a bunch of trail riding, downloading all the maps and apps to get started, playing around on it, and taking a few photos. Charge time from 10% to 100% was almost exactly 4 hours @ 2.0 A.

GPS seemed to be spot on as well. I did a 1 K walk around with both the WP5 and iPhone8 side by side and the tracks are really close. Pics attached.
    I also mapped both my rides on Saturday and Sunday on routes I've ridden before so you could see the track differences. Tracked in Avenza Maps for both. In one screen shot you can see how the WP5 overlaps the other tracks from May and June on the same trail. In the other you can see a out and return track nearly overlaid. Also compared to my Fitbit Ionic GPS, and it was matching my Strava tracks too. If there is an issue with GPS on the phone, mine did not experience it. I'm very comfortable using it for GPS duty in the future.

Brightness was good. Still visible in outside direct sun. It's not as good as the iPhone, but better than the Armor X7 for sure. No concerns using it and seeing while riding down the county roads to the trail heads. I was using it in Portrait with the Avenza maps up and in the rubber holster (that I was skeptical about on my bars, pics attached). Turned out it worked great, and was visible to look down every once and a while and check while riding with no visibility issues.

I didn't set up the face unlock, too focused on other stuff, but the screen did work well enough with gloves, and by leaving the screen on during GPS routing I didn't need to use it. With the huge battery, I might not need it because I can leave the screen on 100% of the time.

The thread seems like it morphed into an Android phone as GPS kind of thread, even though I haven't used a DFP, it seemed like the right place to put a review.

Attached Files:

Mike_G, ohgood, AlfromNH and 5 others like this.
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Duraforce pro 2 review:
    Faster than pro
    Lost external charging points
    Better camera 4k video
    Lost hard buttons and went to on screen
    Better battery life
    Same brightness
    Same gps accuracy
    64gb storage
    Usbc

I'm using the Garmin Monterra GOA application (the exact same user interface as the Monterra ) on this phone to compare the pro 2 vs pro 1, mostly because it's a horribly slow , clunky app, and the speed bump is very noticable, when it's this badly written.

This is the Verizon version so I can use the GPS antenna in airplane mode.

I'm using an ATT sim card in the Verizon phone. I had to update the apn to do this, then reboot. Lte speeds are very good. Wifi reception is still not as good as the XD , but that's really not fair because the XD it's the best wifi capable device I've ever used, anywhere

Garmin Goa running in duraforce pro 2:
    Screenshot_20201112-122948.png Screenshot_20201112-123015.png

I paid $100 from a fb marketplace ad. The seller shipped it from Florida to b'ham, and I was happy to receive the phone in great condition instead of a box of rocks.
    scootertrog, MrMac and BLucare like this.
  16. Swiftdriver

Swiftdriver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, me too. I'm considering the Blackview BV6100 and Doogee S88 at the moment.
    Does anyone here have any first hand experience with either of these?
    ohgood likes this.
  17. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would also be interested in anybody's experiences with newer rugged phones. I'm needing one to use as my one and only phone for the moment so that might narrow it down a bit. Still unsure what I'm looking for though. I had so much luck with the DFP that I'm thinking about the 2.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I ran a speed test on the dfp2

Wifi
    Screenshot_20201114-044630.png

Att prepaid sim in Verizon
    Screenshot_20201114-044738.png

Verizon sim in Verizon
    Screenshot_20201114-045903.png

Attached Files:

Sonny S. likes this.
  19. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish !!!!
    I live near a military base and it's horrible. I'm on Verizon and I just ran my DFP2. :-(
    Screenshot_20201114-071045.jpg
  20. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a few DFP's set up for the bikes. However, since getting the DFP2 as my primary phone almost a year ago I find myself just using it on the bike as my GPS phone. I like the buttons better on the DFP but the touch screen on the 2 seems to work better with gloves.
    I use magnetic charger cables on both. If I'm going to be riding mostly off road I'll use the DFP just to not risk damaging my main phone.
    I'll still set the DFP2 to airplane mode so alerts and stuff aren't popping up.
    They both work fine for my needs.
    ohgood and assquatch20 like this.