Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I think I found the solution to the texting issues I've been having. I've tried 4 different Messenger Apps and ran into the same issue with each app. Was just about ready to try switching carriers and was asking others around work about Sprint, T-Mobile, ect and was told by one person that had AT&T that she was having the exact same issue and just did a Network Reset.

>Settings>Backup & reset>Network settings reset> "tap" NETWORK RESET

So I did the Network Reset and so far....... that has seemed to fix the problem. If anyone here is having a problem receiving texts, might give this a try before anything else. Remember to completely shut off your phone for a minute after you do this.
  2. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Those of you with the DFP2, does the screen dim significantly in hot weather in direct sunlight like the original DFP?
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    it's fall here so Ill have to leave it in the sun to find out...
    Sonny S. likes this.
  4. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used mine over the summer in 100 degree Texas heat with no issues. It was on my DR650 with no windshield so it got lots of air.
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I just got move so I can't say for sure yet... but I'll leave it in the sun and check back
  6. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    So I did the Network Reset and so far....... that has seemed to fix the problem. If anyone here is having a problem receiving texts, might give this a try before anything else. Remember to completely shut off your phone for a minute after you do this.

Don't know who here run a VPN but a similiar problem with downloading data, pics, files on a DFPro. It came to a head when I was trying to download a boarding pass on airport WiFi and it wouldn't work until I disabled the VPN. Not what I wanted to do but it was either that or no boarding pass..
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:
    the dfpro 2 was on my bars (in the cheap flexible Amazon mount) the other day.

I crashed hard enough to rip the bar mounts out of the triple tree. the phone was flopping around on it's tether ehen I tried to pick up the bike, and realized my bars had disconnected.

the screen was fine after I wiped the compacted mud out of the speaker holes.

KIMG0586.JPG

I'm pretty happy with its durability
    dazzadm, Oddfellow, BLucare and 5 others like this.
  8. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Unlike the mount. Geez!
    ohgood likes this.
  9. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Jeeeeeezzzuuus H. Christ! Forget the phone, I'd be more worried about the bars deciding they no longer want to be connected to the bike.

:eek2
    ohgood likes this.
  10. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Holy crap man....you ok ???
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:
    it still works, because it flexes :-)
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:

I'm going to have to get along without the stabilizer for a little while, but it's fine now
  13. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I just kind of walked out of it before it started flipping.... nothing happened to me :-)
    2old2Bbold and Sonny S. like this.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    did you seal in your magnetic connectors ?
  15. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the DFP I use silicone dielectric grease and the magnetic adapter stays in the phone. On my DFP2, being my main phone I have not. I only use the magnetic charging on the bike.
    ohgood, assquatch20 and 9Realms like this.
  16. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I bought a fine, new or like new refurbished Verizon Kyocera Duroforce Pro several many weeks ago to serve as my primary phone.
    I am liking it quite a bit. I was coming from a Note 3 that ran Android 5, and I miss the texting software that the Note 3 had.

My new Kyocera Duroforce Pro is running Android 7.1.2 and the text/message app it came with was a little crappy.

I was used to my old Note 3 where you viewed both sides of the text conversation pretty much full screen- and if you hit the volume control up/down you could instantly change the text size for now aging eyeballs.

I purchased a different message app from the Google Play store that works a bit better, but it puts both sides of the conversations into little "balloons" or squares that make the text harder to read and or proof before you hit send.

If someone is grasping what I am trying to relate and has a solution, I would be interested. Or perhaps a better Android based messaging app I could purchase and just move on/forward.
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    You shouldn't have to purchase SMS apps.

What's wrong with Google Messages (not the messages app that came on the phone)?

Which feature are you looking for? The volume up/down to change font size? You can probably do that in Tasker.
  18. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Unfamiliar with google messages and tasker.... :dunno
  19. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Verizon Message + for texting.
    There is probably something better but that's what I used with my Galaxy S5 and I'm familiar with it.
    There is also the option to chose a " classic " theme so don't have to have all the silly little emojis and themes that are better suited for children IMHO.
  20. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How are you liking the DFP2 as an everyday phone? I'm thinking it's time to retire this old one to use solely as a GPS if it'll hold a charge on the bike.