Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can change the font size in the messaging app settings if that helps.
  2. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have low expectations so it's awesome lol.
    Kinda kidding. My most advanced phone was the Galaxy S5 I had before this just last year.
    The Kyocera isn't a Samsung that's for sure. However, I need a rugged phone and even without a fancy protective case this has been great. I REALLY like that I can leave work on the bike and stick the DFP2 in the mount and go. I like having one device for the majority of my riding.
    I'm using it now for this with Tapatalk and I rarely use a computer for internet forum stuff.
  3. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I actually still have Verizon Message + still in the phone, and I can toggle back and forth between the app I have been trying and Verizon Message +.
    But I am not caring for much the way Verizon Message + breaks the on-going conversations with people into "days", making it slower to re-digest conversations, more to dig through while at work/on the road.
  4. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing I hate about the phone. Often I'll lose cell service and I'll have to put it in and out of airplane mode to get the signal back. Never had that problem with my Samsung.
    @ohgood have you experienced that with the DFP2 ?
  5. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if that can be changed. I don't see mine being that way unless I'm not fully understanding
  6. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My texts with Message + are displayed as last in, first seen. I do have my girlfriend set as priority so her texts are always at the top and to text her it's the first person on the top of the column.
    Don't want to miss texts from the girlfriend...no no no :-)
  7. Mike_G

Mike_G Exasperated

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have thoughts on the Oukitel WP8 Pro? I see AliExpress lists it at $119.99 with free (42-62 day!) shipping for Black Friday. I'm looking for something to use just as a GPS for road and offroad riding, since the 2.6" screen on my old Garmin 76CSX just isn't cutting it as I get older. And I've heard too many horror stories about the cameras on the newer iPhones going bad from vibration so I'd rather try something rugged like the Oukitel if it seems like a good option.
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    This one has been on my radar as my next device. It certainly seems good on paper!
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    as more and more people start using Signal, the targeted advertisements in your browser will start to go away.

last Halloween I texted a buddy about Halloween plans, and the theme. he had advertisements for those kinds of things in his Facebook feed within hours.

I tested this with my extra phone. yup, talk about "rice cakes" in text messages and advertisements showed up in Facebook.

I switched to signal and encrypted my texts... no more ads.

there are other ways to encrypt and start private, but this one works ok

10. ohgood

Oddometer:

nope. when I did have that trouble it was a Sim card that has bonneted so much the pads were worn through
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:
    it's pretty fast too Screenshot_20201126-022441.png

for a cheap rugged
  12. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll have to figure out what's up. Once I installed the sim card I haven't removed it. Maybe it's a Verizon thing and not Kyocera. First time it happened I restarted the phone and got signal back. Then I tried on and off with airplane mode and that works.
  13. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    But Signal is only encrypted if the other person is using it too. It won't encrypt standard SMS/MMS to people not using Signal.

I use telegram to communicate with all my friends and family, as well as work.
    ohgood likes this.
  14. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I have been using Textra. Very customizable.
    9Realms likes this.
  15. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I'm giving something from the Google Play store a try that was a couple bucks, called QKSMS.
    Not all the latitude or features I may be looking for, but thus far it's reliable. So many to search and read about, that was why I asked.

Trying to get back to the texting experience where conversations don't end up in "bubbles" that are restricting in size and you have to scroll up and down within each bubble, etc. No fun, fat old fingers and eye strain.
  16. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I downloaded and tried Textra. I really liked it except...... It does not display the red dot on the app when you have an unread text. Or do I not have a setting correct somewhere? I did notice that Textra made the little LED blink brighter, which was really nice! If I could get the red dot to show up on the app, that would be great! (I am using the AT&T DFP if that is the issue).
  17. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a radio button in the settings.
    Screenshot_20201126-144454.png
  18. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I don't see this option in mine. Are you using the AT&T phone or Verizon?
  19. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    It shouldn't matter what carrier phone you have when it comes to 3rd party messaging apps like this.
  20. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well...the screenshot was from my LG daily phone. I just checked my Sprint DFP, no setting. May be related to the Android version. Sorry for the misinformation.
    flamingm0e likes this.