Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. becsta

becsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Ulefone Armour 7e as it is a rugged phone the USB tip is longer than standard, 8mm instead of 5mm.

I was wondering if anyone that has a a phone that needs a longer tip has managed to find any magnetic tips to fit.
  2. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Just found this on the Textra support page:

Textra supports badging the app icon if you see and have enabled the preference Textra Settings > Badge App Icon (this preference will only be shown if your device supports icon badging).

My Yahoo mail App does not show the badge either.
  3. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used a dremel with sanding bit and shaved the sides of the magnetic piece
    becsta likes this.
  4. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike_G likes this.
  5. Sela

Sela Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I did the same, I have now a WP5 and I'm looking for a robust phone mounts ... any idea to share ?
  6. gpsdualsport

gpsdualsport former mid life crisis motorcycle owner

Oddometer:
    I have been using the RAM finger mount for several years now. It fits the DuraForce Pro just fine.
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN4U
    Larger phones maybe a fit issue but I have never ejected my phone from this mount.
  7. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    wow, this thread is quite a compilation of info... thanks @PDX Alamo! i’ve been using a garmin nuvi a friend gave me for several years, and to be honest, it's worked really well for 96% of my riding needs. i've replaced the charging cable a couple times, one rusted and the other got bent when i tried removing the device from the cradle before unplugging it. i just ordered a verizon duraforce pro on ebay for $45 and change with free shipping and no hassle returns, and now i'm looking for a means to charge it on the bike. can anyone recommend a charging cradle, wired or wireless, that isn’t $160? thanks!

best regards,

johnnyg
  8. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Okay I give up. LOL I have two dfps.
    I just installed locus pro on the second one with the same version I have on the first one . After I had all of my maps and themes installed on the new phone everything was working the way it is supposed to work so I moved my maps and my themes to a new folder on my new phone and then I changed the maps vector directory to that folder on my SD card. I called that folder, maps vector external, so when I use locus all the maps show up but the themes do not. I have tried moving them around and nothing seems to work. I even put them back onto the internal memory and they still don't show up. On my first dfp that I am using now the themes are in the same folder as the maps and they work just fine on this phone. So what the heck am I doing wrong.
    I hope I have explained this properly, LOL
    Can anyone help me with this?
  9. marret

marret Transient

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I can’t help, but I gave up trying to store files on the SD card with Locus. Too many file and folder finding/reading problems. Sounds like Locus is looking for the files in a folder that is different than where you have them, if that makes sense.
  10. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yes that makes sense however I have them in the same folder as on the other phone so I am not sure why it's not working.
    I know it's a pain in the ass and I don't know why locus doesn't get its freaking act together and make this easier. I have done this before and not had any problems but it has been a while so I don't know what the heck it is I might be doing wrong.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. Maybe ohgood we'll see this and have an answer.
  11. marret

marret Transient

Oddometer:
    This might be a pain, but might you try it all over again? In other words, remove the app and files, reload and then download the files into whatever folder Locus wants?

If I remember correctly, the only time I had problems was when I tried to change the default locations.

Agree, @ohgood to the white courtesy phone please.
  12. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Anyone obtain a Wsken Round magnetic cable lately? All I am seeing is an Oval version. A coworker purchased a Wsken knockoff cable and it gets really hot, I really would like to stay with Wsken. We have Wsksn round adapters in ALL our devices and looking for more cables to stash in the vehicles, bedroom, kitchen, ect.
  13. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using TOPK brand. They've been good. Compatible with the WSKEN adapters too.
    scootertrog and Sonny S. like this.
  14. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
    That's all I've been using. No issues.
    scootertrog likes this.
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    The WSKEN cables are more robust, but I like the 90 degree angle cables of the TOPK, and they hide easier
    Sonny S. likes this.
  16. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup ! tapatalk_36403118.jpg
    9Realms and flamingm0e like this.
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sonny S. likes this.
  18. dflow

dflow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI, apparently not all magnetic cables are created equal. I purchased a couple NetDot Gen 12 brand and immediately found that they did not work/charge on a moving bike. Keep us all informed on how your choices (brands) perform.
  19. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    I thanks guys, I’ll give that a try!
  20. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    How does the cable know the bike is moving ? Did it work with the bike running but sitting still ?
    Or maybe it's a weak magnet and kept losing connection ?