Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:

No wireless charging would be a deal breaker for me .
    I'm using the Juiced Squeeze mount on my bikes .

Max
  2. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking at a Ulefone Armor 10 on BangGood - looks like a good phone for the price, if it was OLED with good visibility in sunlight then I would have bought it. With wireless charging, a decent battery and a screen over 6.5" - there was a lot to like.

Today my Garmin Zumo failed me when I wanted to navigate to a store in the nearby town, but the Garmin only listed the branch in the next town over. My Kyocera is currently running Mapfactor Navigator which is backed up by Google Maps and in this case I setup a WiFi hotspot on my main phone and the Kyocera using Google Maps did just fine at navigating me to the shop. Both the Garmin and the Kyocera have issues at time with screen visibility in bright sunlight.
    MFS likes this.
  3. EagleTodd

EagleTodd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    T-Mobile user here. Can I Kyocera DuraForce Pro phone that is set up for Verizon, just have the SIM card replaced with a T-Mobile SIM card. Will that work? What else has to be done? Thanks for your help.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    depending on the version of Android, you may need to add an APN to the phones cellular settings.. or it may do it automatically for you.

the Verizon phones are usually easier to change sim cards in than the att models
  5. BooneDog

BooneDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do this. A Verizon Kyocera with a T-Mobile SIM card and it works fine for me. I get warning on startup that it’s not Verizon chip but that’s the only issue and I’ve ignored that. ( though I mostly only use this phone for gps and music)
  6. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up a ULEFONE armour x5 pro, after much researching.
    Was tossing between updating my magellan gps of the cheap rugged phone route.
    The ULEFONE won for me for these reasons.
    Price. 250 cnd to my door on amazon.ca
    Battery. 5000 mAh. Everyone's different, my usage on samsung S3 and S6 I was charging daily, if not twice.
    The ULEFONE with the big battery I've yet to go less than 2 days, have gone 3.
    Waterproof, dust proof, shockproof. No case needed and I can use my RAM mount I picked up last year.
    Installed Gaia and subscribed but honestly google maps has never let me down for around here. Just me, I've let myself down lots while navigating...
    Screen could always be brighter, I always have mine turned down for battery savings, just me. Happy to have reliable battery life was a top priority.
    Good price, good product. Nice alternative.
    Nice to get an Amazon gift card for Christmas. Thanks kids!
    Oh yeah, it's unlocked, so sim card in and good to go.
    Also, has the fm transmitter. Headphones in, listen to radio stations with WiFi/internet required. Uses almost zero battery when doing so. Have really enjoyed this at work somedays stuck in the bobcat.
    Long post...but I do like the phone so far. Looking forward to using Gaia more this spring. The GPS on the phone, really accurate

MFS
    DragonJoe and Swiftdriver like this.
  7. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    I have an unlocked Verizon branded Kyocera DF that I use on the Canadian TELUS network. Same "not Verizon" warning but works fine here. Unable to remove built in numbers in the Verizon contacts list, but not a huge issue, just annoying.

Their US affiliate is ATT & seems to connect easily whenever I am near the US border . I used it also in Australia but ran into problems with getting mobile DATA service. WIFI was fine. Mapping& navigation with OSMAND was amazing there too.
  8. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Care to explain your last comment in more detail? Thanks.
  9. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The micro USB port on my Kyocera DFP has come loose, maybe I could get it repaired. But I've already ordered an Ulefone Armor 10 so I'll look into switching to wireless charging
  10. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ULEFONE armour x5 pro, 5 star review on Amazon= 51%. Wouldn't touch one, read the reviews.
  11. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used a Ulefone Armor X5 for a year. No problems at all.
    MFS and Oddball like this.
  12. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    You must fall into the 51%. :clap
  13. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    I guess so, but I wouldn't be writing a review for something that I don't have any issues with and works as intended.

I always take online reviews on Amazon etc with a grain of salt. Especially when it comes to technology. Too much of the population is too dumb to understand technology.
    DragonJoe likes this.
  14. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I much prefer USB-C over micro-USB, but I do feel that either one is a weak point and there is a danger of wearing out the connector (or the connector breaking) when you are regularly plugging and unplugging the charge lead. Wireless charging obviously eliminates this potential issue and Quad Lock do make a weather resistant wireless charging head.

A friend has a Ulefone Armor 3 with huge battery that he has no problems with, hopefully the Armor 10 will give me no trouble.
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  15. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    Magnetic charging cable. It works beautifully and doesn't stress the port
    PineLaneRider, outbacktm and Oddball like this.
  16. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    I feel the same way when people review something they don't know how it works, but the phone issue was a lot of the phone hardware just failing after awhile. 51% 5 star reviews on something is really bad. I have bought a lot of stuff on Amazon, but I always check out the 5 star and 1 star reivews.
  17. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    So I had the X5, not the pro, and it got better reviews, but I just went on and read the reviews on the pro.

Basically, a chunk of the bad reviews are about service issues (I don't use any service on mine), hardware issues like camera (I don't have any use for the camera) and broken screens, and poor customer service. Sure if you're using this as your day to day phone, it's a cheap POS, but for using it as a dedicated GPS on my bike it's fine.

Again, I always take the reviews with a grain of salt. They don't hold much water with me, usually.
    gpsdualsport likes this.
  18. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    While it's good to look over 1 star reviews to see if they have valid complaints or are just a bunch of mouth breathers having trouble coordinating their thumbs, the 2 to 4 star reviews are more often the ones by people who are willing to describe the more complex details of a product and it's issues.
    PineLaneRider and flamingm0e like this.
  19. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    That's a good tip. I had actually never thought of that aspect. The more "in depth, honest" reviews would be graded a little more appropriately.
  20. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm now wishing that I'd been using a magnetic charging cable with the Kyocera DFP, that would have saved a lot of stress on the USB port. But wireless charging would be even better from a weather resistance aspect. Wireless charging also simplifies attaching the phone to the bike - put the phone on the mount and . . . well, that's it.

For a phone that doesn't feature wireless charging, I think a magnetic charging cable is a very good idea and will likely save a USB socket failure eventually.
    Fishnbiker likes this.