Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't mean to beat this horse too much but I use my DFP on three different bikes and in my car. I also take it in at night and charge it with a wall charger. Using a magnetic charging cable is no more or less trouble that wireless charging, the puck has to be moved with the phone and plugged in at the new location, same with the magnetic cable. Just plug the cable in and wave the magnetic end past the phone and it grabs on. I've ridden in all day rain storms with out thinking about the plug, doesn't seem to want to wick water into the charge port. I have a tube of dielectric grease I keep meaning to use on the plug but keep forgetting it.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  2. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to use these cables but could never get one to last more than a month or two. dust and crap would work its way in or they would just fail. I liked them besides that, for sure.

Mike
  3. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent point, with 4 vehicles you would have to move the wireless head around unless you spend a heap of money buying one for each vehicle. But in my case the car is not used for much apart from the work commute and I don't need a GPS to find my way to and from work. I only have the one bike and that is where the weather resistant wireless head would live.

I am curious about what brand of magnetic cable you use, it sounds like you have found a really good one.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    These are what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TKJ1C4H?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
    Cattledog1969 likes this.
  5. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure that is the one I have, I use the right angle one, seems to latch on better and not get bumped off. I've been using it almost two years now..
    I did have another brand before this and for some reason I don't remember now I wasn't impressed with it so tried these, no problems with them.
  6. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    I was using the magnetic right angle, problem I had was the usb connector tip either keep working it's way out or was so stuck getting it out I'd damage it, guess was a set of cheap crappy usb tips.
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    some Android versions will automagiclly create the apn when the apn settings are reset, thenrebooted with a different sim card.

I believe this input applies to newer "world phones"like Verizon models
  8. crustyone

crustyone Adventurer

Oddometer:

What "magnetic charging cable" is there available for the Duraforce pro? I can't seem to find one. thx
  9. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
  10. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    I literally linked one above...

It doesn't need to be made for a particular device. It's universal.
  11. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You would want a 'Micro USB' plug, not USB C (used by newer phones) or Lightning connector (used by Apple phones).
  12. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Let us know how this phone is working out. the design of the phone looks kinda like my Nomu s10 which has turned out to be the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned ! Plus it will not charge, it takes an act of the Almighty to get it to charge. KIMG5990.JPG KIMG5989.JPG KIMG5991.JPG
  13. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
  14. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    The ones that never worked for me were the ones that did data pass through. They had a row of conductors and required the cable be on a certain way.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  15. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    gosh, It has been a couple of years since I ordered them.

I will look at amazon.

they still work, and I use them daily, but I am unsure that the same product is available.

ok

i ordered these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079KLJLXQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ634EJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Cyclepath likes this.
  16. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I've never had any problems with my Nomu S10. You're welcome to borrow mine if you like to cross check anything with yours. I bought an LG Venture several months ago along with a tablet and will be putting mine up for sale soon.
  17. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's why we like KYOCERA phones here :-)
  18. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go with TOPK brand. Good stuff. The round 90 degree magnetic cables work very well.
    Cyclepath and flamingm0e like this.
  19. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    For some reason the rubber waterproofing along the sides of the phone seems to be swelling up and pulling away from the phone especially on that one side where I could not stick it back in place it became too swollen up so I just cut it off and removed it. Not waterproof anymore but the phone still works however like I said it is a bastard to get charged. The only cords that will charge it are those little tiny short ones about a foot long that are only charge cords. Everything else will start to charge it when you plug it in and then it shuts itself off and won't charge anymore after that.
    I have two Kyocera dfps so I don't really need the Nomu new phone. Other than the fact that it came with a built-in virus and I forget what the name of it is but Kaspersky was the only one to find it so if it actually had a SIM card in it it would be reporting everything I did to some company in China. I reported this to all of you guys a long time ago and I think you checked yours and it didn't have the virus. So I did some research and it appears that some of them come with it and some don't for some reason? If I remember right I bought this phone from a place called gearbest.......
    I don't need another phone but that doogee Sure looks good except it has the same shape as my Nomu. I haven't looked at any of the new Nomu phones. But that doogie makes me wonder if they don't all come from the same company plus when I bought the Nomu I asked them if it would work as a cell phone in this country and they said yes it would, it does not.
    So that is the issues I have with this Nomu phone. Perhaps I just got the lemon in the bunch.????
  20. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Are you using this as a cell phone or just a GPS? If you are using it as a cell phone where are you located?
    I looked at all the different bandwidths and I was wondering if it would work in the United States as a cell phone.