Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. programradio

programradio Master of None

Oddometer:
    there's so many things that can play into this issue. hardware, software, and the carrier all can impact connectivity. in my research, it does seem like the iPhone 12 is coming up as problematic. too much time/development may have taken place between the DFP and the new tech.

i didn't mention above, but what led me to this thread was the ktm vibes disassembled my 12's camera a couple of weeks ago on a ride over the sierra and back. had the phone in a ram mount on the bars and by the time we got to the summit, i could hear bits rattling around inside. luckily it was brand new and under warranty.

i'd be curious to hear from any iphone 12 users if they can connect the DFP to their hotspot? if so, it will point me back to the DFP. i did see some comments that suggested having a physical sim card in might be a factor, even if it is not connected to the cell network. i don't have a sim, but i could pick on up for a few bucks.

Thanks
  2. programradio

programradio Master of None

Oddometer:
    yes, it definitely could be the issue, but i have no idea how to confirm. i'll dig into verizon next to see if i can find anything.

They're both verizon devices, but the DFP doesn't have a sim card. perhaps that's an issue. i could see verizon trying to force more compatible devices back on to their network.

though, the fact that bluetooth tethering works makes me wonder whether it is a iphone 12 wifi issue.

Edit - tested with an old iPhone 5 with that has no service, connected without issue to the iphone 12 hotspot.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  3. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Vibes killed you phones camera you say?
    Check out the Perfect Squeeze phone mount and Buzz Kill vibe isolator from Hondo Garage. It's all uber high quality stuff from our fellow inmate Mondohondo.
  4. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Probably asked and answered already but come on, who's going to go through 298 pages?

So what does it mean when the charge light on my DFP keeps going on and off and the phone says "connect charger" repeatedly? Guessing that it means the USB port is loose or shot because this first occurred with the USB cable plugged in and charging on a really nasty section of wash board that was shaking the crap out of the bike. So I toss the phone in the car glove box thinking it's toast (cost $50, I don't really care) but try it again in a month for laughs and it works fine again.

New USB charging port? What are folks cobbling together for a wireless charging alternative?
  5. Undercover Poe

Undercover Poe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Op you are the man for turning me on to this. Now can you help with why my camera keeps coming in and taking pics? How works great most times. I do have an issue with restarts every now and again but hey $50

Attached Files:

6. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Are you sure the cable isn't deteriorating? If your port is tight, consider using a magnetic port adapter, like the Wsken.
  7. avalk

avalk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Apologies for being overwhelmed by the amount of information here. Reading through a lot of this thread I am still confused. Is there an android based phone from a brand name manufacturer (e.g. Kyocera, LG, etc.) that is the consensus pick for this job? There seem to be a lot of different models that all seem to be discontinued or very old, and only sold from questionable sources. I'm hoping to find something in the $100-$200 range to run JBV1 and occasionally GPS. I have a dedicated GPS already, but this would supplement its use. The primary use of this phone would be to run JBV1. Thanks for any advice. I am in the US if that matters.
  8. gpsdualsport

gpsdualsport former mid life crisis motorcycle owner

Oddometer:
    Yes @avalk , I have started a thread on this very topic. I have been adding new info as I find it.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/andr...xist-yet-but-maybe-navigation-worthy.1425030/
    Most of info is snagged for other threads and I have giving credit to the inmates I have stolen from by using the @ symbol and their user name.
    The is the same as finding a note on your windshield explaining how the new dent got on your car.
    As for worthy Android devices to replace the DFPro there are many choices. Amazon has China built MIL-STD rated phones from a bunch of companies. For me the issues are quality control and lack of US based customer support. Just check the 1 star ratings posted Amazon customers. These phones are generally lower priced then the big name phones.
    The Major Player phone makers do have Rugged, MIL-STD devices. Kyocera, Samsung and LG have models that are less than 2 years old and show up at reasonable prices on the used market.
    I'm phone shopping right now and have narrowed my choices down to these 3. Currently I can't make up my mind. It would be great if Inmates currently using these phones could make some comments. : )
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    LG G8X ThinQ
    Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro

BLucare likes this.
  9. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where I can find a decent price on a new Duraforce Pro 2 GSM Unlocked AT&T?

I found this Duraforce Pro (32GB / 3GB RAM) for $160 on Fleabay, but I'd rather than the Pro 2 with 64GB memory and 4GB of RAM...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293779539960

Thanks!
  10. avalk

avalk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for your reply.
  11. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    If you're going for new and unlocked, don't get one with the ATT bloatware, try to get one that's not linked to any particular network.
  12. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've only seen GSM unlocked AT&T version and the unlocked Verizon version

Please point me toward the version you're referring to. Thanks
  13. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    I have an unlocked version of the Duraforce Pro that I'm trying to use as my primary cellphone here in Lbs n addition to GPS. Voice with Telcel works fine. But I can't get data to work. I've been unable to change the APN from Verizon to Telcel, the system just won't take the new address.

So, caution, unlocked may not be completely unlocked. (I haven't searched this thread yet to see if anyone smarter than me has a solution.)

Vinnie
  14. jdw4748

jdw4748 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Just say "no" to X-Grip
  16. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    ^ Yup. I ditched the X-grip for the Quick-grip (RAM-HOL-PD3-238AU) combined with 3M Dual Lock, and never looked back.

RAM-HOL-PD3-238AUIU1.jpeg
  17. jdw4748

jdw4748 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  18. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've found the X-grip to be fine with mostly street travels (not using a lead phablet either). Just need to remember to use the lanyard thingie if doing rough terrain.

[I should add I was using LGs with the controls on the back as long as they produced them with decent specs...]
    AugustFalcon likes this.
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Yes indeed the juiced squeeze charges my DF Pro. Both the juiced squeeze and the DF-P are Qi so not surprised there.

Ampere shows a charge rate of 700 ma with the screen on full brightness and running Magic Earth nav app. This is in airplane mode. Just can't bring myself to ride with the phone on, spoils the ride even when it isn't distracting.
  20. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you ever have problems with Magic Earth crashing?

I like the app, but whenever I use it, it runs for a while, then crashes.