Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never used in rain as , in light showers / drizzle, the phone is protected by the windscreen .. and a few drops of water have not impacted it. The plug is pretty firmly sitting in the USB slot.

But my experience of riding in rain is very very limited ...
  2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been caught in lots of rain with my magnetic chargers. They keep charging with no issues. I've had the USB side rust on me though
    turtlespeed likes this.
  3. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I have... If the charging point is at the side or bottom of the phone, it is fine. Mine has a generous smear of silicone dielectric grease in the port to prevent water ingress. I suppose the connector could get wet but it would only lead (very slowly) to some minor galvanic corrosion of the contacts, which could easily be cleaned up. If you rode in the rain a lot, eventual replacement of the charging cable and contact, once in a while, would not be overly burdensome.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  4. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My last ride in the rain (pouring down pretty hard) I just forgot the charging and left the cover over the USB port. After 4 hours of riding (running GPS navigation and screen on full brightness) I still had 48%. That's on the Ulefone Armor 10 5G with 5,800mAh battery, when my Ulefone Power Armor 13 with 13,200mAh battery arrives - riding all day long should be no issue whatsoever. Generally you should be fine riding in rain with the USB plugged in, but I've had other phones turn off charging due to water in the USB socket - waterproof phone with detection of water ingress (maybe just less resistance across contacts?). I suspect it is a bad idea to be charging while there is water carrying current across contacts in the USB port. I've never had problems with charging while riding in light rain though, just heavy rain that may get driven into the USB port.

My advice - in heavy rain, if you have sufficient battery for it, try just riding without charging. If the rain stops and your battery is getting low then you could stop and plug the lead in. If you have wireless charging working with your phone & mount then you should be fine charging while riding.
  5. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    This. It is so simple, folks get too caught up in the charging aspect. Maybe simple is too easy these days of all this high tech shyt? :hmmmmm
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  6. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
  8. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great, thank you!
  9. boyfester

boyfester Urban Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just found a website that sells old electronic tech (www.backmarket.com) with warranties and I was able to purchase an iPhone 6 for less than $75. I have no SIM card in it and only use it for mapping and no photography. At home, I use wi-fi and synch all maps from Gaia GPS to it and then run it on my KTM 500 EXC handlebars on airplane mode. I've learned that if the phone is left on the handlebars in 100-deg heat, it does overheat, but as long as wind is moving across it (even over 100-degrees), it does not.

Inside my motorcycle jacket is my iPhone 12 Mini, which I use for photography, but also have Gaia running in the background as a back-up.
  10. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Love the Jim Anchower avatar!
    boyfester likes this.
  11. nobody19

nobody19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking for a low profile ram support. I have this one but is too bulky:

[​IMG]

My goal is maintain the phone as lower as I can. I use it for enduro, not trail.

I also use an arm and this attached to the phone:

[​IMG]

Any ideas? I searched in aliexpress and nothing fits my requiremets...
  12. clogan

clogan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a Kyocera DuraForce Pro and loved it... briefly. But after only two days, it stopped accepting a recharge, so I sent it back for a refund. So now I'm considering the Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro. It's still a bit pricier than a DFP, but has a removable battery which is rare in today's devices.

Anybody use the XCover?

Or maybe I should just re-order another DFP; my luck might be better the 2nd time.
  13. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Check out Tackform. I have a couple of their mounts and they are top notch fit and finish, and minimal size.
    nobody19 likes this.
  14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Thinking the same. I had no problems with the original juiced squeeze, but the new one I put on my 890 works only sometimes. Talk about frustrating.
  15. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I will once again caution people about charging in steady rain. I used to do exactly that, and while it worked fine for a while in rain storms, this is what eventually happened on one particularly rainy day.

And let me preface any "well..." comments with, yes the port was downward facing, and yes I had put dielectric grease around the USB connector before inserting it.

We rode all day in a steady rain, and it was towards the end of the day that I suddenly smelled burning plastic, so I pulled the charging cable out and it had melted both the USB cable end and the charging port on my phone.

All I will say is if you decide to USB charge in the rain, make sure you are using a device that it's not a big deal if you fry the charging port.

[​IMG]
  16. gpsdualsport

gpsdualsport former mid life crisis motorcycle owner

Oddometer:
    Hey @clogan I'm in the bonding process with a used Xcover Pro. I got the unlocked model and spent almost an hour running multiple updates. When the phone finished it was running Android 11. It started with Android 10.
    This is my first Samsung device and I"m surprised by the amount of Samsung bloatware preloaded. Otherwise it's been good. Screen size and brightness is better than my old DFPro.
    I have ordered the pogo pin charging RAM mount from GPSCity but that's currently on backorder. So there has been no 'on the bike' testing yet.
    Important note! the Xcover Pro is too large for the RAM Finger mount that I have been using for my DFPro.
  17. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After reading some reviews on the Ulefone Armor 10 as an everyday phone, I'm tempted to just find something more typical like a Samsung and then just add a good case. I'm not sure where to start there but I know it'll probably cost a lot more than I'd like. I still like the idea of maybe a Ulefone Armor 13 on the bike for navs and as a backup phone.
  18. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 52 years ago

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/ultr...hones-my-guide.1206076/page-297#post-42712424
  19. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tracking shows mine has landed in the country, I'll post my experience once I've had a chance to try it out. It is springtime here, so we are heading into the nice riding weather.
    assquatch20 and Emgo like this.
  20. AUSTIN_221

AUSTIN_221 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody have any experience with the CAT S41 phones? Came across a used return on amazon for $60 bucks and should arrive today.
    Has a huge battery and a feature that will let you plug it in to charge a separate device like my actual Iphone. Im just wanting to use it for navigation and to play spotify to my Sena headset from. I just dont like having my actual Iphone out in the dust and rain on the ram mount. Curious how the stick on quadlock or something similar would work as the RAM clamp isnt ideal for something that doesnt need to come on and off bike so easily.

I will do a little write up for this specific phone if it ends up working out!

Cat® S41 Smartphone | Cat Phones USA